What is Mahomes' floor?

Did I say he wouldn’t be good? No. Did I say I wasn’t really excited to him play? No. Did I say I think he’ll suck? No. All I said was that 1 game doesn’t mean anything in the NFL, as encouraging as it may have been. I’m excited to see him play, but I’m pumping the brakes and am willing to wait and see what he can do prior to anointing him based on 1 game.

That’s a totally reasonable stance to take, but I for one am willingly surrendering to the hype for various reasons. I’m expecting him to be a dynamic player that will make amazing plays. For a long time.

If he’s Brodie Croyle it’s gonna hurt.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do we know?

Wickedly quick Release

Makes guys with cannons for arms look like weak armed quarterbacks.

Accurate

Creates on the run.

Can make downfield throws with that crazy fast release across his body while falling with velocity.

can move in the pocket...

Can make the chiefs second string offense look like its playing a fourth string defense when there number 1s

That whole making chicken salad out of chickenshit thing..

---------

Add to that wickedly fast release, and crazy strong arm..

2. Of the fastest wide recievers in the NFL

1. of the better tight ends in the game

2. RB's who can catch the ball out of the backfield..

-----------

you wanna blitz.... Have fun... you got 2 seconds...

this offensive line is gonna look like a bunch of all stars..

Why, you cant leave anybody, and I mean anybody single covered..

Double kelce, and your leaving either watkins, or hill wide open... without a db in the league being able to run with either of them..

so roll coverage to hill, double watkins, and you got a linebacker on kelce..

who in the hell does that leave.. for the running back?

----

I am not worried about the offense..

His floor is a guy that consistently throws more interceptions than TD's. So Jay Cutler. His ceiling is probably a top 5 QB in the league.

Even Mors Inimicis cant deny the fact that we saw him make throws in the first half of his first game that we didnt see Smith make in 5 years. That completion to Harris over the middle is a throw that Smith 100% wouldn't attempt, and probably 90% couldn't make if he tried.

He had another one to Wilson over the middle that was similar. Then that ridiculous throw along the sideline while backpedaling was a throw most QBs in the league cant make.

Did I say he wouldn’t be good? No. Did I say I wasn’t really excited to him play? No. Did I say I think he’ll suck? No. All I said was that 1 game doesn’t mean anything in the NFL, as encouraging as it may have been. I’m excited to see him play, but I’m pumping the brakes and am willing to wait and see what he can do prior to anointing him based on 1 game.

You said you look at the facts

What facts support your narrative? What shows that he won't be good or can we compare him and what we have seen, heard on his skill set etc. You stated facts i am curious is what are they

Yeah. You sure showed them what a non homer you are! You probably get extra points for that in... uh... the non-existent non-homer point game.

it's just like when those fucking kids get all excited about opening christmas presents and i'm all like "stupid kids getting excited about a present... for all you know i took a shit in a box and wrapped it, you stupid little twats".

Too funny.

Yeah. You sure showed them what a non homer you are! You probably get extra points for that in... uh... the non-existent non-homer point game.

it's just like when those fucking kids get all excited about opening christmas presents and i'm all like "stupid kids getting excited about a present... for all you know i took a shit in a box and wrapped it, you stupid little twats".

Is that you Grinch? 

You said you look at the facts

What facts support your narrative? What shows that he won't be good or can we compare him and what we have seen, heard on his skill set etc. You stated facts i am curious is what are they

One fact and at this point it’s all I need. He’s played one NFL game!!!!! Matt Flynn threw 6 TDS in a game before and sucked. Hell, JaMarcus Russell had ONE good game. I’m optimistic about Mahomes but I’m not ready to start predicting his floor/ceiling or comparing him to other established starting NFL QBs. Let’s give him a year and go from there.

His floor is a guy that consistently throws more interceptions than TD's. So Jay Cutler. His ceiling is probably a top 5 QB in the league.

Even Mors Inimicis cant deny the fact that we saw him make throws in the first half of his first game that we didnt see Smith make in 5 years. That completion to Harris over the middle is a throw that Smith 100% wouldn't attempt, and probably 90% couldn't make if he tried.

He had another one to Wilson over the middle that was similar. Then that ridiculous throw along the sideline while backpedaling was a throw most QBs in the league cant make.

You’re correct, and I’m not denying his immense talent. Some of those throws in the Denver game were throws one other guy in the league can make. It’s very exciting to see and I, like everyone else, hopes we have the next Aaron Rodgers on our hands. I’m just not willing to assume Mahomes will be a game changer based on the tiny sample we’ve seen thus far, and it’s just that simple.

I certainly understand the excitement surrounding Mahomes; we’ve never had a guy like him before and this franchises history with QBs has been abysmal. But before we all go saying he’ll be top 3 this, or at worst top 10 that, let’s see how things play out. The QB position in the NFL historically has offered many “head fakes” throughout the years. That’s all I’m saying.

His floor is a bust in the RG III sense. People were sure the Skins had a rising star after his rookie year. His problems especially with attitude really were exposed in year two. Similar system in college too even though I fully realize Griffin was much more of a runner. It’s almost cliche all the can’t miss QBs who get chewed up and spit out in this league. It’s why King Carl ran scared from going this direction despite several good opportunities to try.

I’d agree with Luv that the most realistic floor though is somebody like Jay Cutler. Andy Reid doesn’t fail with QBs and it’s extremely unlikely he starts now. But if Mahomes can’t develop instinctive feel for NFL game and some personality flaw like Cutler has comes out, you can easily get a productive but highly inconsistent product. Maybe even a Jeff George type.

All signs point to much more in the long term. His ceiling is clearly higher than anyone this organization has had in four decades. I hear Matt Stafford comparison a lot which makes sense. I do see more Brett Favre in there. Moxie to believe he can do anything with the football, arm to pull it off but highly competitive and coachable.

I don’t see this process as easy as some people seem too. Think Pat may throw more INTs in a game this year than Alex threw in a season. But man does watching this type of dynamic talent every week sound fun. Just hoping for some injury luck unlike what the Texans got with Watson!

That’s a totally reasonable stance to take, but I for one am willingly surrendering to the hype for various reasons. I’m expecting him to be a dynamic player that will make amazing plays. For a long time.

If he’s Brodie Croyle it’s gonna hurt.

if that happens, the franchise may never recover

But for a serious answer, his floor is Kyle Boller.

Somewhat similar sizes, athletes and big arms from gimmicky Offenses.  I'm sure someone will point to Boller's completion rate, but different eras and not totally similar situations.

(I don't think he'll be Boller though, but that's his absolute floor)

His floor is a bust in the RG III sense. People were sure the Skins had a rising star after his rookie year. His problems especially with attitude really were exposed in year two. Similar system in college too even though I fully realize Griffin was much more of a runner. It’s almost cliche all the can’t miss QBs who get chewed up and spit out in this league. It’s why King Carl ran scared from going this direction despite several good opportunities to try.

I’d agree with Luv that the most realistic floor though is somebody like Jay Cutler. Andy Reid doesn’t fail with QBs and it’s extremely unlikely he starts now. But if Mahomes can’t develop instinctive feel for NFL game and some personality flaw like Cutler has comes out, you can easily get a productive but highly inconsistent product. Maybe even a Jeff George type.

All signs point to much more in the long term. His ceiling is clearly higher than anyone this organization has had in four decades. I hear Matt Stafford comparison a lot which makes sense. I do see more Brett Favre in there. Moxie to believe he can do anything with the football, arm to pull it off but highly competitive and coachable.

I don’t see this process as easy as some people seem too. Think Pat may throw more INTs in a game this year than Alex threw in a season. But man does watching this type of dynamic talent every week sound fun. Just hoping for some injury luck unlike what the Texans got with Watson!

This is pretty spot on. I’m merely trying to be objective about Mahomes, nothing more. And RGIII is a great example of a guy who was being called all sorts of great things in year one and POOF! Far more first round QBs have busted in this league than not. I don’t believe PM2 will be one of them, but lots of others who’ve come from similar systems have.

I think Griffin's decline had FAR more to do with injury than attitude problems.  Or, at the least, the injury problems came first and then the attitude problems developed/surfaced.  Given that the premise of my original hypothetical was not including injury, I don't think that's a great comparison.

This is pretty spot on. I’m merely trying to be objective about Mahomes, nothing more. And RGIII is a great example of a guy who was being called all sorts of great things in year one and POOF! Far more first round QBs have busted in this league than not. I don’t believe PM2 will be one of them, but lots of others who’ve come from similar systems have.

The difference is it all came out now and I think he even admitted it but RGIII never worked in the film room and tried to get better that way.  Reid already talked about how prepared Mahomes has been all year which I can imagine all of that.

I think the low end is Cutler, if he uses his arm to force throws and throw more INT's he could be that but his preparation will make sure he's isn't a Jamarcus bust.

I never said there was, but I shouldn’t be flamed for saying it’s silly.

WOW you really really wanted KC to take Watson didn't you?  Seems the hate for Pat(even if you say there isn't) just screams from your posts haha.

I'll promise you that at the end of the day Pat will have a better career than Watson.....Lets come back to this in 10/15 years my firend

WOW you really really wanted KC to take Watson didn't you? Seems the hate for Pat(even if you say there isn't) just screams from your posts haha.

I'll promise you that at the end of the day Pat will have a better career than Watson.....Lets come back to this in 10/15 years my firend

No, actually I didn’t. I’m thrilled with Mahomes as our QBOTF.

The difference is it all came out now and I think he even admitted it but RGIII never worked in the film room and tried to get better that way. Reid already talked about how prepared Mahomes has been all year which I can imagine all of that.

I think the low end is Cutler, if he uses his arm to force throws and throw more INT's he could be that but his preparation will make sure he's isn't a Jamarcus bust.

You’re right, from everything we’ve heard about Patrick, he’s the real deal thus far. But cmon, as a Chiefs fan, being skeptical is in my DNA.

Archived