Derrick Nnadi, DT

Derrick Nnadi, DT, Florida State

Height: 6-1. Weight: 317. Arm: 33.5.

40 Time: 5.38.

Projected Round (2018): 3-5.

4/25/18: In 2017, Nnadi notched 53 tackles with 3.5 sacks, one forced fumble, 10 tackles for a loss and a pass batted. He played well, causing disruption at the point of attack. Nnadi has good strength and quickness, but also faces some size limitations. He would fit well on the inside of a 4-3 defense as a nose tackle.

9/1/17: Nnadi was expected to have a breakout 2016 season, but he wasn't making much of an impact prior to a huge game against Miami to help lead the Seminoles to a victory. After that, Nnadi was a productive defender for the Seminoles. He totaled 44 tackles with 9.5 tackles for a loss and 5.5 sacks on the year. Nnadi was a solid nose tackle for the Seminoles in 2015, totaling 45 tackles with two for a loss and two sacks. The senior has the upside to develop during 2017.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/derrick-nnadi?id=32462018-0002-5598-1230-5674da00b00d

"He's a good football player but I don't know what kind of impact he has in the NFL. He's not going to be in on rush downs and I don't know that he's a true disruptor. It's not that I don't like him but those kids of nose tackles have limited draft value." -- NFC General Manager

Overview

It's hard to find "bad tape" for Nnadi. While NFL teams may see an undersized 4-3 nose tackle with limited pass rush value, I see a player with good power at the point of attack who can dislodge from single blocks and make plays. Nnadi has a good motor, active hands and enough pass rush ability to cause problems for blockers up front. Nnadi has the physical tools to play in one or two-gap schemes and has NFL starting ability.

I wanted Tim Settle Dt out of Virginia Tech or BJ hill but this guy looks pretty good against the run. Chiefs traded pics #86 and #122 to take Nnadi at #75. They would have signed Xavier Williams to a multi year deal if they thought he was the guy. I like this pick.

If the rumors that Sutton’s defense will be more of one gap, attacking defense, this pick makes a lot of sense. We may be trying to create gap penetration which this kid’s tape shows in spades. He will more disruptive than Logan ever thought of being. Alongside Xavier and Jones, the interior line suddenly looks like a handful.

Archived