Dorian O'Daniel, LB

Dorian O'Daniel, ILB, Clemson

Height: 6-0. Weight: 215. Arm: 31.13. Hand: 9.38.

40 Time: 4.61.

Projected Round (2018): 4-6.

4/25/18: In speaking to team sources, most had O'Daniel graded as a fifth-rounder, with one saying the fourth round. O'Daniel put together a solid 2017 season for Clemson with 88 tackles, 11.5 for a loss, five sacks, five passes broken up and two interceptions. O'Daniel took on a bigger role with Ben Boulware in the NFL and performed well for the Tigers. O'Daniel had 54 tackles with 10 for a loss and 2.5 sacks in 2016. He played well on special teams in 2015, making 19 special teams tackles.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dorian-o'daniel?id=32462018-0002-5600-8621-73a6c585764a

Athletic linebackers like O'Daniel are earning high marks from NFL scouts because they need to cover the middle of the field in passing situations. ACC coaches recognized O'Daniel's talent in 2017, naming him second-team all-conference after he led the Tigers with 103 tackles, including 11.5 for loss and five sacks, as well as three pass breakups in 14 starts. One of the top outside linebacker recruits in the nation after an excellent high school career in the Washington, D.C. metro area (all-state in Maryland with 1,307 rushing yards, 18 touchdowns as senior, 16.5 tackles for loss, five sacks as junior). O'Daniel redshirted in 2013, and then got into the action regularly as a freshman, starting once and leading the team with 13 special teams tackles (had 31 total stops, sack) in 12 games played. He once again paced the team with 19 special teams stops in 2015, and was credited with 32 total tackles in 15 games as a reserve. Given a chance to play more on defense as a junior (10 starts in 15 games), O'Daniel used his quickness and tenacious nature to make 60 stops, 10 for loss, and 2.5 sacks.

Overview

What O'Daniel lacks in size and speed at the linebacker spot, he makes up for with production and consistency. He may not have the tools to become a quality full-time starter at linebacker, but his outstanding career as a special teams cover talent could be enough to earn him a roster spot and a place in the league for years to come.

"His special teams production is really rare. He has a feel for navigating around the traffic and finding the football. He might get drafted and make a team just on his special teams ability alone." -- NFC regional scout

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what is his role on our Chiefs? .... safety, OLB, or special teams ace?

Veach sucks at drafting. Sorry but he has moved up for players he could have just waited for.

Lol, he had a board and there were others interested. I will give him the benefit if the doubt.

Yeah the draft picks have been made like they truly believe they have no real holes none of these 3 picks are starter quality

How do you figure? Dline run stuffer, pass rush, all around LB are all needs. The defense has holes at every level. The only real hole on offense is a guard and TE2.

So what is his role on our Chiefs? .... safety, OLB, or special teams ace?

Veach sucks at drafting. Sorry but he has moved up for players he could have just waited for.

I had us taking a guy in round 2 who was supposed to go too 40 and ended up lasting til almost the end of the third. Where we or media think players will go has no relevance to reality. We will see in a few years from how we really did. Veach has been so good so far at finding young talent.

I think Dorian has a chance to fill that nickel corner role KPL did last year. Another guy to help with the woeful pass rush last season too. And elite special teams. He was a 2nd team All American so he’s a football player. I agree his success is incumbent on his role.

Love Veach and this draft personally. I had us taking a guy in round 2 who was supposed to go too 40 and ended up lasting til almost the end of the third. Where we or media think players will go has no relevance to reality. We will see in a few years from how we really did.

Are people this fucking dumb? I mean really? "Veach sucks at drafting"..."None of these players is starter quality"...

How the entire fuck can you make a determination like that within 3 hrs of these guys being drafted? Isnt that something you would say after these guys...ya know...play.

They hsvent signed contracts yet for fuck sake. Help me out here Mike.

Special teams guy?

But they did lose Alexander last year to Seattle and he was an undersized lb with speed who made the pro bowl as a special teams player. Sounds like Toub was on the box for this guy maybe.

3rd round special teamed? Ouch if so

Gotta win at every level. Why not? If this guy makes an impact this year for the Chiefs anywhere I’d be happy. As far as I can see so far it’s all pointing towards run stopping wrap up tacklers at the first and second level of the defense.

Are people this fucking dumb? I mean really? "Veach sucks at drafting"..."None of these players is starter quality"...

How the entire fuck can you make a determination like that within 3 hrs of these guys being drafted? Isnt that something you would say after these guys...ya know...play.

They hsvent signed contracts yet for fuck sake. Help me out here Mike.

It’s plain silly nonsense. I tried to be PC. We hammered away at a front 7 today that got destroyed in the playoffs. I look for Veach to do the same with the secondary next draft. The plan seems really well thought out. Veach started with no top 50 picks and was aggressively targeting guys on our board. I like that approach. It’ll take a few years to see if they got it right.

Special teams guy?

But they did lose Alexander last year to Seattle and he was an undersized lb with speed who made the pro bowl as a special teams player. Sounds like Toub was on the box for this guy maybe.

The guy was a second team All American linebacker for goodness sakes. 88 tackles, 11.5 for loss, 5.5 sacks, 5 PD, 2 INTs, 2 TDS. He’s undersized for sure, but clearly can play. He can contribute in any number of ways for us.

I'm just saying there kind of reaches when you could have a got a true olb not a 283 de that runs 4.83 40 or could have drafted Carlton Davis at that pick who will have a bigger impact this season then any picks we made and you wouldn't have had to move up and move back in the 3rd Rd and then a hybrid guy who has no true position and is special teamer, the DT is a decent pick the other two not so much

The guy was a second team All American linebacker for goodness sakes. 88 tackles, 11.5 for loss, 5.5 sacks, 5 PD, 2 INTs, 2 TDS. He’s undersized for sure, but clearly can play. He can contribute in any number of ways for us.

Seems smallish to me as a linebacker in this defense. Sounds like a solid player who can tackle people for losses. Heaven knows the Chiefs need that on defense. I like the pick. Really like this draft so far.

Seems smallish to me as a linebacker in this defense. Sounds like a solid player who can tackle people for losses. Heaven knows the Chiefs need that on defense. I like the pick. Really like this draft so far.

I think they may see him playing that hybrid nickel linebacker/safety role KPL did last year.

Archived