Dorian O'Daniel, LB

This was a great pick.

O'Daniel is a big upgrade over Sorenson and will play nickel lb for KC.

He played over 700 snaps for Clemson and 45% of those were as the slot CB.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Chiefs/status/990064633703751680?s=19

That's impressive.

104 tackles, 5 sacks and 2 int.

If he plays at 215 or lower he could have a chance to play safety full time.

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/990063235905802241?s=19

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a great pick.

O'Daniel is a big upgrade over Sorenson and will play nickel lb for KC.

He played over 700 snaps for Clemson and 45% of those were as the slot CB.https://twitter.com/PFF_Chiefs/status/990064633703751680?s=19

That's impressive.

104 tackles, 5 sacks and 2 int.

If he plays at 215 or lower he could have a chance to play safety full time.https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/990063235905802241?s=19

I agree with your assessment. This may be a more talented version of Sorenson. We do like to run with 3 safeties a lot. Hopefully Sorenson gets cut and frees up a few mill.

I agree with your assessment. This may be a more talented version of Sorenson. We do like to run with 3 safeties a lot. Hopefully Sorenson gets cut and frees up a few mill.

Yup. I like this pick. He’s undersized as a linebacker but he fits the hybrid role perfectly. He can cover but he can also hit. I think this guy sees a lot of snaps as a rookie.

Some guy on twitter is very high on Dorian... compares his combine performance to Kam Chancellor's HERE and also says this....

JKuhn‏ @h8rproof82 5h5 hours ago

More

Kam Chancellor is a prototype box safety. Basically LB Playing Safety. Bully in the Slot. Guards TE’s. Plays in the Box vs The Run. Dorian O’Daniel will fill that important Box Safety Role for KC. The New “MoneyBacker” Role That’s morphed Safeties & LB’s together in Today’s NFL

More

No way. We are trying to get faster on defense.  I like the pick.  Hopefully we don't have to watch Sorenson try to play that sub package backer anymore

This right here, we’ve already improved.

Speaks makes sure we never see Zombo again and could replace Ford on early down run situations

Nnadi replaces Logan

Dorian makes sure we never see Sorensen again, sounds like they can make him the in the box safety and let Berry roam

Dime LB, ILB trainee and ST ace per VeachReid.

I love this pick

Good coverage LBs can make plays that win games on critical downs

This kid reminds me of Darron Lee... undersized, but fast... with a nose to find efficient route to the ball. Versatile on blitz packages, can cover TEs and slot guys

special teams are a huge bonus, esp for package players

I love this pick

Good coverage LBs can make plays that win games on critical downs

This kid reminds me of Darron Lee... undersized, but fast... with a nose to find efficient route to the ball. Versatile on blitz packages, can cover TEs and slot guys

special teams are a huge bonus, esp for package players

I will say we're in nickel and dime far more than base. If you're gonna do that you better find guys that can play the pass. Before this pick we only had 1 LB on the roster that can line up and play the pass today. And yes i do consider Ragland mostly a 2 down player. Maybe 2.5

“Veach sees O’Daniel as an outside linebacker in dime packages and a member on all special teams. Veach said the Chiefs had O’Daniel as the top special-teams player in the draft.”

And yes, the Chiefs just drafted a special teams ace in the 3rd round.

“Veach sees O’Daniel as an outside linebacker in dime packages and a member on all special teams. Veach said the Chiefs had O’Daniel as the top special-teams player in the draft.”

And yes, the Chiefs just drafted a special teams ace in the 3rd round.

Are you ok with us using a 3rd rounder on a “special teams ace”? I’m not.

In the past the 3rd round has been our money round..... we’ve drafted Houston, Jamaal Charles, Travis Kielce & Kareem Hunt in that round.

I’m really hoping we drafted O’Daniel to be our hybrid Sorensen replacement rather than our special teams ace. Sooner’s post makes sense, but I worry that we picked up O’Daniel solely for his special teams play.... if so, this was a wasted pick.

Are you ok with us using a 3rd rounder on a “special teams ace”? I’m not.

In the past the 3rd round has been our money round..... we’ve drafted Houston, Jamaal Charles, Travis Kielce & Kareem Hunt in that round.

I’m really hoping we drafted O’Daniel to be our hybrid Sorensen replacement rather than our special teams ace. Sooner’s post makes sense, but I worry that we picked up O’Daniel solely for his special teams play.... if so, this was a wasted pick.

Watch Veach's presser.  He will be a dime backer and he was their highest rated special teamer.  Sorenson is done.

We play a lot of dime.  

This right here, we’ve already improved.

Speaks makes sure we never see Zombo again and could replace Ford on early down run situations

Nnadi replaces Logan

Dorian makes sure we never see Sorensen again, sounds like they can make him the in the box safety and let Berry roam

If this all actually happens I'll be extremely happy with the draft

Doesn't Sorensen cost more to cut than to keep right now? I think he's cheaper next year to cut. I wouldn't mind keeping him around for depth for just this year

Over the past couple years I've learned to trust our scouts.  I don't know a ton about these guys other than what I've seen on Saturdays.  Speaks flashed when I watched him and O'Daniels is a swiss army knife that will help our D immediately.  Like many of you have said he will replace Sorensen which is a great thing.    However, with this being Veach's first year I do wonder about his drafting ability though.   None of these guys seem to have a high ceiling but they all fill a need which is good because we need depth but was not bpa at all.   The one downside is our first pick of this draft seems to be correcting a mistake in Tanoh which is fairly disappointing if true.    I am glad we didn't use our 2nd from the Peters trade to move up this year.   Next year we will be able to continue to build this team around Mahomes 4-5 day 1/2 picks.   

What is everyone's guess for round 4?    DB, TE, another DL or S, OL?   

I'd like to see us grab Ian Thomas TE or a DB.

I will say we're in nickel and dime far more than base. If you're gonna do that you better find guys that can play the pass. Before this pick we only had 1 LB on the roster that can line up and play the pass today. And yes i do consider Ragland mostly a 2 down player. Maybe 2.5

Ragland is a great run stuffer... he had a stellar career at bama, but a lot of that was because of their DL.

Archived