Day 3

SEMO

Josy Jewell is way too slow.

He has instincts and able to see the play develop well which gets him in place all the time to make those tackles. He is a tackling machine tha t also covers well as Iowa ask their LBs to do a lot like Hitchens. He will fit in nicely with Denver and their defense.

He has instincts and able to see the play develop well which gets him in place all the time to make those tackles. He is a tackling machine tha t also covers well as Iowa ask their LBs to do a lot like Hitchens. He will fit in nicely with Denver and their defense.

Just yankin yer chain. I assumed from the talk you're an Iowa guy.

Overview
Extremely confident and extremely greedy as an on-ball defender, Smith was asked to play the role of island defender and did so at a high level. While he faced a lower level of competition, he possesses the size, speed, athletic ability and instincts that should be able to translate to the league. Smith has the potential to fight for either an outside or slot role, but he'll need to play with better discipline in order to avoid penalties and big plays.
Strengths
  • Former all-state, quarterback with a feel for the quarterback's intentions
  • Highly competitive and confident
  • Uses well-timed jabs from press to disrupt receiver's release
  • Quick backpedal to match early stages of route
  • Exceptional long speed carrying a 4.3 40-yard dash time to his name
  • Matches deep route and gets head around early to find ball flight
  • Baseball background shows up with ball tracking and high-pointing
  • Believes every football is his
  • Quick to crowd the catch with good burst to close on throws
  • Outstanding ball production with 53 career passes defensed and 15 interceptions
  • Utilizes half-man coverage approach for greater access into passing lane to disrupt throws
  • Offers punt return potential that could raise his stock a round
  • Not a heavy hitter, but a willing tackler with adequate toughness in run support.

def. tackle last pick.   Mckenzie?  PROJECT

Bio: 
First-year starter who made 35 tackles (3.5 for loss) with two sacks as a junior. Started one game and posted 12 tackles in 2016 before suffering a pectoral injury after seven games. Recorded 24 tackles, one sack and one forced fumble as a true freshman.
Pos: 
Nice-sized defensive tackle with big upside. Flashes the ability to explode off the snap with a great first step and displays tremendous power in his lower body. Bull rushes blockers, runs over them and collapses the pocket. Holds his ground against blocks, works his hands throughout the action and knocks opponents back with violent punch.
Neg: 
Lacks quick change of direction and a closing burst. Possesses limited moves to get off blocks. Marginally productive.
Analysis: 
McKenzie has the size and upside to produce at the next level but will need a lot of work on his overall game before he’s NFL-ready.

def. tackle last pick. Mckenzie? PROJECT

Bio:

First-year starter who made 35 tackles (3.5 for loss) with two sacks as a junior. Started one game and posted 12 tackles in 2016 before suffering a pectoral injury after seven games. Recorded 24 tackles, one sack and one forced fumble as a true freshman.

Pos:

Nice-sized defensive tackle with big upside. Flashes the ability to explode off the snap with a great first step and displays tremendous power in his lower body. Bull rushes blockers, runs over them and collapses the pocket. Holds his ground against blocks, works his hands throughout the action and knocks opponents back with violent punch.

Neg:

Lacks quick change of direction and a closing burst. Possesses limited moves to get off blocks. Marginally productive.

Analysis:

McKenzie has the size and upside to produce at the next level but will need a lot of work on his overall game before he’s NFL-ready.

Hostage?

def. tackle last pick. Mckenzie? PROJECT

Bio:

Pos:

Neg:

Analysis:

Moving to be offensive guard..... Lou said so on espn.

So we move up to get a guy that's not played the position we drafted him for? I don't understand the strategy in this. I doubt our 7th rounders would have made the team anyway, but I'd take my chances on 2 later round guys over one being transformed into a new position. I think Veach is trying too hard.

There is some truth to that. But guys like Brian Waters who was a guy that played DE his senior year and was picked up by Dallas as an UDFA. He came to KC as a G and went to 6 Pro Bowls.

It can happen. Odds are against it though. No big lose when it comes to 6th or 7th round picks.

So we move up to get a guy that's not played the position we drafted him for? I don't understand the strategy in this. I doubt our 7th rounders would have made the team anyway, but I'd take my chances on 2 later round guys over one being transformed into a new position. I think Veach is trying too hard.

They needed to replace Fulton somewhere and this draft was in pockets. OL was quality in the middle, but weak at the top and at the end.

Archived