Draft Thoughts?

I am a dummy when it comes to college players and just know what I read. It looks to me like they were serious about getting aggressive. Every own in round 2 and 3 seem to have some pass rush cred.

At first it seems like a reach for Kpass 2.0, but the word relentless and no quit in him surround the second rounder. Glad to hear they loved him so traded up rather than traded up for a guy that would have been there. All three seem pretty good fots for the sub package and are strong against the run.

I can’t complain about strengthening the line and pass rush. The LB sounds like a really good upgrade from Dirty Dan in the box. Zombo sucks, Ford will not be resigned for good reason and Kpass is a huge question mark. Nichols, well, better freaking tear it up and beat out Zombo to stick.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only time will tell, I hope we got the right guys for our team. I do hope we aren't seeing a new drafting norm of trading up so frequently in the future. I understand going up to get your guy, but it comes with a cost. Picks are assets, the more players you can select the better the odds of success.

Upgrades HAD to be made to the defense. These picks, the return of Berry, and signing Hitchens makes me optimistic that we will see a major improvement over last years defensive unit.

I like the overall plan.

Every pick was on defense which was a must. Although it sounds like they want McKenzie to move to OG.

They didn't go BPA, but they got players they fill can fit into our schemes. To me, I look at all 6 players and see all 6 playing this year which is huge.

Sucked not having a first, but we should be set for 2019 with a 1st and 2 2nds.

Knowing Veach, we'll probably trade the 2 2nds for another 1st, who knows though.

I actually really liked both of the late DBs and both were excellent value where they were taken, imo. I think both those kids can play in the nfl, the safety may not even need that much time.

Watts? Kid is gonna be a stud. Bet he starts week 1. If he doesn't we will know Murray earned it. Win win. Then again I don't necessarily consider a 4th rounder a late pick. 

I'm torn. Granted, I'm nothing more than an armchair quarterback who reads "the experts" and follows the noise on Twitter. I have zero insight into other teams, let alone this one, or their intentions. Who they like vs experts, etc. However, based on all that and the fact that its still strictly on paper, it looks like we overpaid to trade up and reach with both our first two picks. Then reached again late with picks like McKenzie. I'm all for trying to stop the run and keep Ragland and Hitchens clean so they can make plays. Get up field and attack more from our DL is important and helping Jones on that front is huge. However it looked like there was better more proven help available that we passed on. I don't know, I don't want to poo poo on this and really want to be excited, but this draft has low floor and medium ceiling written on it. Again, arm chair quarterback, but I'm not super excited like I was hoping I'd be. Just my two cents.

I wish the Chiefs would have given more priority to CB and OG.  Seemed almost an afterthought as to where they drafted at those positions.  It was also disappointing to think they traded up for players projected to go later in the draft.  I'll give credit to the staff for knowing what they want and knowing more about the prospects than we do, but not one player selected was considered the BPA in an area of need at the time he was drafted.  This is one where we'll have a long wait to evaluate this class.

I’m good with it. A couple of these guys will play this year, but most will be special teams and depth Veach is playing the long game with this draft and I trust him over Dorsey and Carl. I think he’s gonna be an amazing gm over the next few years.

Amazing to me that we use mock draft and big boards created by people who are NOT NFL scouts and DO NOT work in front offices to determine what is a reach and what is a value. I give a fuck about any draft board other than the one on the wall in the Chiefs war room.

I'll be the first to admit it confuses me that we've drafted a guy who looks like a perfect fit for a 5-tech 2 years in a row in round 2 with the intention of moving him to OLB, but thats also an area where I'm going to defer to the people are paid to make these decisions. I don't want Brett Veach coming into the sleep lab and telling me how to run my sleep studies, so...ya know.

I've heard they were hot and heavy over Taven Bryan.

As for the draft itself, well it was quite apparent that thry had a pretty slim draft board.

Bryan actually makes a lot of sense in our defense so i would buy that. Getting ahead of Jax would have been costly though so i see why they didn't.

Bryan actually makes a lot of sense in our defense so i would buy that. Getting ahead of Jax would have been costly though so i see why they didn't.

Yeah. I liked that we got out of here with the 1 and both 2's still in place for 2019.

Would of been a mistake to trade any of them off.

Solid core building draft considering we started with nothing inside the top 50. We can attack our secondary next draft and find a stud to pair with Fuller early. In the meantime Veach now needs to address a few positions like corner, tight end and perhaps guard with a 1 year band aid.

I think we did pretty well with what was left after moving up to get Mahomes last year.  Except for a few spots on D, our roster was already solid.  This draft was to shore up depth, and have guys who are versatile and who won't totally embarrass us this year when they rotate in and who will play solid ST's from the beginning.  For the draft following the drafting of a franchise cornerback the prior year, we did well.

And look at Veach:  Suddenly our cap calamity was fixed.  We got younger.  We got Fuller, Hitchens, Watkins. We eliminated a talented but cancerous cornerback. We got run stoppers and improved our pursuit on the edges. We rebuilt depth on the D-line.  We are getting Berry, Ford, and Ware back.  I'm not going to bite my fingernails or complain about a thing.

Archived