Draft Thoughts?

We’ve all grown sick and tired of this defense getting run over in the run game. I think that Veach ended that today.

Not sure what to think of Speaks as a rusher, but he’s a big OLB like Tamba. Add Nnandi being a tree trunk in the middle of the field and O’Daniel taking over for Sorenson as a quality tackler.

Veach was sick of watching us get killed it he middle of the field and used attacked it hard this offseason. I like the added pass rush too.

I see 2 starters and 3 rotational guys playing immediately from this class.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd disagree. He's pretty critical usually.

He’s no homer. He believes it. Love the fact he sees Speaks as Tamba 2 and has a lot of confidence in 2 of our day 3 picks. But reality is it doesn’t mean almost anything.

To me the only real draft grade you can apply initially is to ask question of how many players you got that you really wanted and didn’t settle for. From that perspective it sure looks like Veach gets a low A to high B.

It’ll likely be a few years before we can correctly analyze if the players we wanted were the right ones.

I liked that Veach hammered away at defense. We needed to address DL, pass rush & the secondary and he did just that.

My issues were that Veach seemed to pick Swiss Army knife players in Speaks & O’Daniel. Is Speaks a DE or OLB? He does not seem to have the size to play DE, yet they spoke of moving him inside in rushing plays. Is O’Daniels an OLB or a Safey? Or did they draft him in the. 3rd round because of his special teams abilities?

I also did not think we should of moved up for Speaks or Nandi & felt they would have been there for us to take had we just stayed put.... but, who am I? Maybe they had credible intel which made them think those guys would be gone by then. Had we not traded up so much we would have had two 4th round picks & I feel we could have done something with another 4th rounder.

I think Reidis high on Harris.  Plus we signed Amaro and Wright this offseason. I don't think TE2 is as big a need as we think. 

Seemed like they did what I’d expect. Defense heavy draft getting guys at every level. A guard prospect. Only missing piece is a TE2. I suspect all the trade ups left TE as the odd man out.

Well don't have to worry about Terez Paylor and his draft grades anylonger.  He's leaving the Star for Yahoo Sports.

I looked up the salaries at Yahoo writers and its 70k - 90k.  he said something about being the top writer there.   I liked the guy.  Great passion.

I think Reidis high on Harris. Plus we signed Amaro and Wright this offseason. I don't think TE2 is as big a need as we think.

If he considers the new guys as true TE2 candidates, good. But if he thinks Harris can fill in adequately for no Kelce... we better hope he doesn’t get helmet launched by safeties again, let alone other worse injuries. I’d never bet my contingency on Harris.

That sucks. I liked his work.

Yeah that does suck. I always liked the Corporate Champ.

KC has been really blessed with some outstanding writers at the Star over the years. Joe Posnanski is one of the all time great baseball columnists. Frankly i was a fan of Whitlock even though everybody seemed to hate him. I love Sam Mellingers work. To me he's been killing it. I don't need to agree with everything a writer puts out there, that's stupid. I just want them to have a strong point of view and be interesting. Not a big fan of Vahe Gregorian though. Too many puff pieces for my taste. Frankly should have been a red flag coming from the Post-Dispatch. Other than their baseball guys I'm not that big on their columnists.

If he considers the new guys as true TE2 candidates, good. But if he thinks Harris can fill in adequately for no Kelce... we better hope he doesn’t get helmet launched by safeties again, let alone other worse injuries. I’d never bet my contingency on Harris.

It’s compelling to me we signed a veteran and came close to signing another. Plus we were all over the tight ends in the draft despite not actually taking one. I don’t think Veach is comfortable with Harris either.

Yeah that does suck. I always liked the Corporate Champ.

KC has been really blessed with some outstanding writers at the Star over the years. Joe Posnanski is one of the all time great baseball columnists. Frankly i was a fan of Whitlock even though everybody seemed to hate him. I love Sam Mellingers work. To me he's been killing it. I don't need to agree with everything a writer puts out there, that's stupid. I just want them to have a strong point of view and be interesting. Not a big fan of Vahe Gregorian though. Too many puff pieces for my taste. Frankly should have been a red flag coming from the Post-Dispatch. Other than their baseball guys I'm not that big on their columnists.

Agree with all of this. Posnanski wrote a column about playing chess with Priest Holmes that still resonates as one of the best I ever read. He just has an ability to see and present a unique story.

Whitlock was polarizing and his columns lost their bite when he became a talk show hosts. But he wasn’t afraid to take on the black establishment and was really compelling in doing so. These are examples of guys in their prime who expanded perspective and did what media is supposed to do.

Mellinger hadn’t had the same impact with me but I still very much respect his opinion and enjoy his viewpoints.

There just isn't enough sports action going on in KC to keep sports writers on the go and sports sections moving.

If the Royals suck (they do), not much of shit to write about for 7 months. Don't even mention Sporting KC because who gives a shit about soccer.

Not enough action in town to keep the sports team afloat. KC needs an NBA or NHL franchise.

I don't think reid does either.  But Harris is decent depth.  Remember we brought in Amaro and Wright.  Wright has had some success and Amaro is still young and was a top draft pick. I think the hope is more with them. But as a #2 TE Harris isn't bad

Archived