Chiefs trade up for Kahlil McKenzie

By Joel Thorman@ArrowheadPride

Apr 28, 2018,

3:40pm CDT

The Kansas City Chiefs made a second pick in the sixth round after trading up and selected DT Kahlil McKenzie out of Tennessee. This pick is special because McKenzie is the son of Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie.

Tennessee called him a DT but the Chiefs say they see him as an offensive guard in KC, which is interesting. The Chiefs do have a future need at guard.

Silver and Black Pride had this to say about the younger McKenzie:

Kahlil spent his high school years in the Bay Area, watching Raiders practices with his dad before heading off to play at his father’s alma mater of Tennessee as a 5-star recruit. He came out a year early with the advice of his dad and now will be joining one of the Raiders’ rivals in Kansas City.

They select him with the intention of playing offensive guard, according to team officials.

I had Kahlil as a 6th round pick by the Raiders in my mock and he may have been their pick at 216 had he been there. Missing out on him as a player isn’t a big deal, whether he plays DT — where the Raiders selected PJ Hall in the second round and Maurice Hurst in the fifth — or guard — where the Raiders are solid.

Charles Woodson to Reggie McKenzie: Your son can’t put that red helmet on
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 29, 2018, 10:39 AM EDT

The son of Raiders General Manager Reggie McKenzie is about to become a Chief, and one Raiders great isn’t happy about it.

Former Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson told McKenzie after the Chiefs drafted Kahlil McKenzie that it just isn’t right for a young man with the Silver and Black in his blood to put on red and gold.

“I got a text from Charles Woodson, who told me, ‘Your son has to retire. There’s no way he can put that red helmet on his head,’” Reggie McKenzie said. “Part of me felt that way, but in all seriousness it’s a good opportunity for him and I was hoping that he would land at a spot that will kind of grow him to that position. He can play D-tackle, but I think he could be special on the offensive line. That’s where we were going to play him.”

For his part, Kahlil McKenzie has already vowed to whip the team his dad runs. He may be a sixth-round rookie, but McKenzie is already right in the middle of one of the NFL’s best rivalries.

Charles Woodson to Reggie McKenzie: Your son can’t put that red helmet on

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 29, 2018, 10:39 AM EDT

The son of Raiders General Manager Reggie McKenzie is about to become a Chief, and one Raiders great isn’t happy about it.

Former Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson told McKenzie after the Chiefs drafted Kahlil McKenzie that it just isn’t right for a young man with the Silver and Black in his blood to put on red and gold.

“I got a text from Charles Woodson, who told me, ‘Your son has to retire. There’s no way he can put that red helmet on his head,’” Reggie McKenzie said. “Part of me felt that way, but in all seriousness it’s a good opportunity for him and I was hoping that he would land at a spot that will kind of grow him to that position. He can play D-tackle, but I think he could be special on the offensive line. That’s where we were going to play him.”

For his part, Kahlil McKenzie has already vowed to whip the team his dad runs. He may be a sixth-round rookie, but McKenzie is already right in the middle of one of the NFL’s best rivalries.

Meh. If that’s how they really felt, they had many opportunities to make him a part of their organization, but they didn’t. He’s a long shot to be in the league in three years, being a sixth rounder undergoing a position change.

We are holding Kahlil hostage. The Raiders are the iron islanders and Andy Reid is Ned Stark. Kahlil is Theon Greyjoy. This is a Game of Thrones reference for those who have not seen the show.

Kahlil for khalil.

Yeah well I'ma call him Khaleesi until he proves he can play.

well he was gonna be a gaurd no matter where he went.. if his own father would of turned him into a gaurd... perhaps we are doing the right thing..

what I have heard is he looked better on the oline drills than the oline guys..  in the late 6th its worth a shot. 

Archived