Votes of confidence from the draft

to the CBs: Amerson, Nelson, and Fuller

to D. Harris: has a strong hold on TE2 for another year

to the QB room

to the RBs and OL: only offensive player taken was a multi-year project

NOT

to Tanoh: took another guy at the position where he was supposedly going to "help."  

to Eligwe/Terrance Smith: O'Daniel is going to take a roster spot, likely at ILB. 

to Sorenson: O'Daniel again.  Going to fill the dime LB role.  Is there still room for Dirty Dan?

to the CBs: Amerson, Nelson, and Fuller

to D. Harris: has a strong hold on TE2 for another year

to the QB room

to the RBs and OL: only offensive player taken was a multi-year project

NOT

to Tanoh: took another guy at the position where he was supposedly going to "help."  

to Eligwe/Terrance Smith: O'Daniel is going to take a roster spot, likely at ILB. 

to Sorenson: O'Daniel again.  Going to fill the dime LB role.  Is there still room for Dirty Dan?

I wouldn't say that it is a vote of no confidence towards Tahoh.  Ford is gone after this year.  Houston probably has 2 more years and then they can cut him for not much dead money.  

Currently they have Houston, Ford, Tahoh, Speaks, Zombo, and Nicolas.  There will be some camp fodder also.  This will be Zombo's last year and Nicolas is signed through 2019, but hasn't shown anything.

Terrance Smith is probably gone.  DD will probably stay at least this year, for safety depth, but Murray or Watts will start with Berry and Dorian will play on passing downs.

I wouldn't say that it is a vote of no confidence towards Tahoh. Ford is gone after this year. Houston probably has 2 more years and then they can cut him for not much dead money.

Currently they have Houston, Ford, Tahoh, Speaks, Zombo, and Nicolas. There will be some camp fodder also. This will be Zombo's last year and Nicolas is signed through 2019, but hasn't shown anything.

Terrance Smith is probably gone. DD will probably stay at least this year, for safety depth, but Murray or Watts will start with Berry and Dorian will play on passing downs.

I thought initially that drafting Speaks locked Tanoh into OLB. Now it’s maybe just the opposite and Tanoh moves down to dline?

I just think they want at least 4 good pass rushers. Watch what the Iggles did last year. They just sent waves of good pass rushers. We've seen this strategy before with the Giants. There's no such thing as too many good pass rushers. In fact, wouldn't be surprised if they go after another one next year.

Notice kpass and speaks are versatile draft picks. They obviously wanted jumbo pass rushers who can be moved around. If they can be effective both at olb and on the line in sub packages that's a nice advantage as you can cram rushers everywhere while playing dime while still being effective against the run, especially if O'Dorien works out as a dime backer. We've been getting killed by teams running when we're in nickel and dime so this is a good strategy. Well, as long as the new guys can play.

I hope Tanoh breaks out and shows us something this season, even if late so it goes into next year. If not, what a huge waste of a 2nd round pick.

Yup.  I'm certainly rooting for Tanoh, but the fact he didn't get into the playoff game last year when everybody on the field was running on fumes was ominous.  They had no faith he'd be able to set the edge.  

I agree with the multiple pass rusher take, but the fact that they went that direction with their first pick -- and even Veach's comments (paraphrasing: I see it as Justin, Dee, and Breeland rotating in there) -- makes me think they don't have much confidence in him.

Yup. I'm certainly rooting for Tanoh, but the fact he didn't get into the playoff game last year when everybody on the field was running on fumes was ominous. They had no faith he'd be able to set the edge.

I agree with the multiple pass rusher take, but the fact that they went that direction with their first pick -- and even Veach's comments (paraphrasing: I see it as Justin, Dee, and Breeland rotating in there) -- makes me think they don't have much confidence in him.

I honestly hope its more a matter of moving Tanoh to DE. I have said from the start his size and skill set fit better there than OLB. But who knows. Have to ask Dorsey what role he saw for him. Not that it matters now, but he was drafted on Dorseys watch.

Not sure what Reid and Co. are thinking regarding kpass. I mean he looked promising in the Denver game last year. Got a sack and looked  better and more comfortable as the game went. Still needs to learn how to hold the edge. If he can figure that out then he will definitely be playing and doing more.

Not sure what Reid and Co. are thinking regarding kpass. I mean he looked promising in the Denver game last year. Got a sack and looked better and more comfortable as the game went. Still needs to learn how to hold the edge. If he can figure that out then he will definitely be playing and doing more.

Good point about playoff game. And when asked about Tanoh today Veach basically said we knew he would be raw and didn’t say anything else about him. Even in the context of talking about this draft I would like to have heard something positive. Instead he talked about how much LDT has progressed. Hopefully this means nothing. But it’ certainly doesn’t inspire confidence.

I just think they want at least 4 good pass rushers. Watch what the Iggles did last year. They just sent waves of good pass rushers. We've seen this strategy before with the Giants. There's no such thing as too many good pass rushers. In fact, wouldn't be surprised if they go after another one next year.

You'll be seeing it with the Broncos this year.  Not sure how you're going to block all those dudes.

Maybe the guy just doesn't get it upstairs. Unfortunately, until he actually makes onto the field I have zero expectations for Kpass.

It's like you fuckers constantly forget that he was completely raw and playimg against FCS level talent in college and is learning a new position.

Or his 2 sacks against Denver.

It's like you fuckers constantly forget that he was completely raw and playimg against FCS level talent in college and is learning a new position.

OR THAT he was a fucking rookie!

Yep 2 years in development was always the plan with kpass. He's got to learn to play. Remember how long it took tamba when he switched to olb. People were calling him a wasted pick.

Keep him at olb. Players with his size and ability to bend the edge just don't come along.

Well I hope, like I said before, to see improvement especially late in the season that leads to show us next season Tanoh will work out. Same can be said of Mahomes still being a rookie and learning to take snaps under center etc. All I want is improvement and go from there.

Bill Maas said he was still a year away. I don’t know what that is based on, but at least he didn’t say no hope. I agree with others that it has probably been the plan all along. More snaps this year I predict. I am not giving up on the dude. I think he works out.

Yep 2 years in development was always the plan with kpass. He's got to learn to play. Remember how long it took tamba when he switched to olb. People were calling him a wasted pick.

Keep him at olb. Players with his size and ability to bend the edge just don't come along.

Tamba was moved to OLB and actually instantly had the best season of his career to date. Year two he was a star. And where does Justin Houston fit? I’m assuming the ideal Veach plan would then be to cut him and save 15 million vs CAP. But man. #50 is clearly our best defender. There’s a lot of hoping in this type of plan but st least Veach does have one. But I’d still prefer Tanoh be moved back to DE where Dorsey envisioned him when we drafted him.

I love Houston. He didn’t have the sack stats last year but when he dropped it was the worst passing attempts. He will be back as far as trusting his knee this year. I expect he will be the best coverage LB again and one of the best rushing LBs like he was in the past. I am not worried where he fits, I am worried there is not 2 of him.

Tamba was moved to OLB and actually instantly had the best season of his career to date. Year two he was a star. And where does Justin Houston fit? I’m assuming the ideal Veach plan would then be to cut him and save 15 million vs CAP. But man. #50 is clearly our best defender. There’s a lot of hoping in this type of plan but st least Veach does have one. But I’d still prefer Tanoh be moved back to DE where Dorsey envisioned him when we drafted him.

Meh. He had 3 sacks the year before and it wasn't until late that season that he started coming on. Mid year he still only had 3 sacks and looked fairly ineffective. It wasn't until the pummeling we took in Denver in December that he started looking decent. Looking back in hindsight sure, but at the time people called him a bust.

Meh. He had 3 sacks the year before and it wasn't until late that season that he started coming on. Mid year he still only had 3 sacks and looked fairly ineffective. It wasn't until the pummeling we took in Denver in December that he started looking decent. Looking back in hindsight sure, but at the time people called him a bust.

My point is it didn’t take him long at all to adjust to OLB. His first season there he had a career high in sacks and tackles. His second year he led the AFC in sacks.

Archived