Hard to fault Chiefs' efforts to remake their hapless defense

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/24563/hard-to-fault-chiefs-efforts-to-remake-their-hapless-defense

“You look at some of those teams over the years... I always look at those Steelers teams and Ravens and how those guys just kind of roll their sleeves up and play football. It’s a four-quarter battle and that’s kind of the mentality we want to have. Speaks is a guy like that, (third-round defensive lineman Derrick) Nnadi is a guy like that and (third-round linebacker) Dorian O'Daniel is a guy like that. These guys play four quarters, they leave it all on the field and again they bring that kind of temperament we’re looking for.”

I agree with this statement because like the article talks about that playoff game where the D got pushed all over the field, they needed that toughness.

but this got me to say "Wow"!

"The Chiefs unloaded a talented cornerback, Marcus Peters, for a variety of reasons. His at-times bizarre behavior was holding them back. His rookie contract was nearing its end and they felt investing big in a second deal for Peters was risky.

But Peters also had developed a sudden distaste for contact, one that he acknowledged in an interview with the NFL Network after saying his trade to the Rams was a "business decision." He didn’t want to get injured with his big payday approaching. The way Peters went out of his way to avoid contact last season was almost comical at times. It wasn’t funny to the Chiefs."

Unreal....you guys are better off without him.

I've always thought we didn't have a fiery leader, felt like our defense always just kind of went through the motions.  Hopefully this changes and we do start to play that nasty style like the article says similar to the way the Ravens and Steelers do in the playoffs....

It's true. We got pushed around by teams like Pittsburgh and TN who could control the line of scrimmage and instill their will on offense. 

Veach, said we must get better. This is a different Chiefs team now infused with young talent and players that play with an edge. The Raiders game was no joke last year. The defense virtually played with toughness when Peters was out. Everyone else on the field stepped up and I this was an eye opener for Reid / Veach and co.

If we are at least middle of the pack in defense this year we'll be back in the playoffs.

I just never saw the one guy, clapping his hands and rallying the troops. Not necessarily a rah rah Ray Lewis type but anyone who could isnpire the defense. I haven't seen that in Berry.....or even DJ.....

You clearly know little about the Chiefs if you don’t realize what a huge leader Berry is and how much they missed that last year.

I just never saw the one guy, clapping his hands and rallying the troops. Not necessarily a rah rah Ray Lewis type but anyone who could isnpire the defense. I haven't seen that in  Berry.....or even DJ.....

,So what you're saying is that if you aren't a loudmouth chest thumper you aren't a leader? Ridiculous.

I don’t see an over emotional leader. But there are different kids of leaders. Hali was a leader by being the first guy on the field and the last guy to leave. Houston and Berry leaders by work ethic also. DJ was a leader by production.

Maybe we need an emotional leader, I don’t know. I think emotional leaders can be double edge sword. Ray Ray was a that emotional leader and was really good at it with no real melt downs when things went bad, but he was an outlier. Hard to compare many others to him in that respect.

Houston was the guy calming emotions down and getting people’s head back in the game. More so than Berry or Hali or DJ.

I never said Berry WASN'T a leader; I just didn't see the in the huddle, exhorting teammates to play better. The man is a great player, no doubt, one of the best to be playing the position right now. I look at him as the lead by example leader. Same as DJ

I was wrong about drafting him so high a few years ago but unlike alot of others, I can admit when I was wrong.

And I was always on the record as a Dj fan- I begged for him to come to the Ravens...look it up.

For the record, I didn't like all Ray ray's dances and stuff...

I don’t see an over emotional leader. But there are different kids of leaders. Hali was a leader by being the first guy on the field and the last guy to leave. Houston and Berry leaders by work ethic also. DJ was a leader by production.

Maybe we need an emotional leader, I don’t know. I think emotional leaders can be double edge sword. Ray Ray was a that emotional leader and was really good at it with no real melt downs when things went bad, but he was an outlier. Hard to compare many others to him in that respect.

Houston was the guy calming emotions down and getting people’s head back in the game. More so than Berry or Hali or DJ.

He did have a mini meltdown in 04 on the MNF game vs the Chiefs- he swore they were double teaming him and really the fat boys couldn't keep Roaf from eating his lunch....I could see it at the game sitting with BaltChief

He did have a mini meltdown in 04 on the MNF game vs the Chiefs- he swore they were double teaming him and really the fat boys couldn't keep Roaf from eating his lunch....I could see it at the game sitting with BaltChief

Think that was mostly Will Shields eating his lunch in that game.

https://www.facebook.com/KansasCityChiefs/videos/10153513054793373/

http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20150730/SPORTS/150739897

I never said Berry WASN'T a leader; I just didn't see the in the huddle, exhorting teammates to play better. The man is a great player, no doubt, one of the best to be playing the position right now. I look at him as the lead by example leader. Same as DJ

I was wrong about drafting him so high a few years ago but unlike alot of others, I can admit when I was wrong.

And I was always on the record as a Dj fan- I begged for him to come to the Ravens...look it up.

Berry does all that rah rah crap too. He's the guy hyping the huddle before the game too. Last year they brought him down to the sideline in the game Peters was suspended, even though he was out, just for that reason. Best defensive game of the year.

Berry is not an all day rah rah mike him up for great entertainment guy. When he does talk he commands more respect from his teammates than most any player I can remember. Those guys would fall on a sword for that guy. And that’s very rare. Let’s just say our two defensive meltdowns didn’t happen with him on the field. If he’s playing in either I feel extremely confident we win both. Last year as our season hang in the balance it was Berry who took control of the pre game huddle from his crutches and ignited the best defensive performance of the season in a game without Marcus Peters.

DJ is just a do your job lead by example guy. I’ve had beers with the guy. Terrific person but not a vocal leader. Tamba was the screamer of that group. Bottom line in this league you don’t go to the playoffs 4 times in 5 years fighting off major injuries every season, without a lot of leadership.

Berry is not an all day rah rah mike him up for great entertainment guy. When he does talk he commands more respect from his teammates than most any player I can remember. Those guys would fall on a sword for that guy. And that’s very rare. Let’s just say our two defensive meltdowns didn’t happen with him on the field. If he’s playing in either I feel extremely confident we win both. Last year as our season hang in the balance it was Berry who took control of the pre game huddle from his crutches and ignited the best defensive performance of the season in a game without Marcus Peters.

DJ is just a do your job lead by example guy. I’ve had beers with the guy. Terrific person but not a vocal leader. Tamba was the screamer of that group. Bottom line in this league you don’t go to the playoffs 4 times in 5 years fighting off major injuries every season, without a lot of leadership.

I know someone who might differ but thats another story 

I know someone who might differ but thats another story 

Interesting. All I know we randomly ran into him at an Austin bar and told him we were Chiefs fans and he ended up buying rounds for the next 30 minutes or so. What I remember most is that he was so excited about Romeo Crennel being coach..LOL

I stood next to DJ in the bathroom at the Royals World Series.  He was in a walking boot thing from his Achilles problem.  He was really nice and didn't look down or make laugh or nothing.  When we got out on the concourse he let me take a selfie with him and we talked for a little bit.  He was really, really nice to me.  But that's a small sample size. 

Archived