Whats the opinion of the Dline now?

We could have all the confidence in the world but we don't even know where some of these guys will line up yet. I think we'll have more of an opinion once the camp starts and won't really get a good grip until preseason. DL and CB personnel changed dramatically this year so all bets are off IMO unless we actually see something.

They are not built to stop the run anymore than last year, but I think they will do better rushing the passer. The big difference would be a bounce back from Bailey and a step up by Nacho. Logan to the rook is a little bit of a drop off probably. We will see.

They are not built to stop the run anymore than last year, but I think they will do better rushing the passer. The big difference would be a bounce back from Bailey and a step up by Nacho. Logan to the rook is a little bit of a drop off probably. We will see.

Disagree strongly with the first statement. Speaks would be an upgrade setting the edge at OLB (if he hits the field this year over Ford, which he may). Hitchens is a big upgrade over the broken version of DJ vs the run. Anybody we put at corner is an upgrade to Peters' non-tackles. If O'Dorien can play he's an upgrade at the dime backer spot over dirty dan which be huge considering how often we got ran over out of 3 wide sets. And of course Eric F. Berry is back.

I also believe Nnadi will eventually be an upgrade. Definitely was really good vs run in college.

Definitely better built to stop the run this year. we can't get much worse. I will concede some of those upgrades may not pay off til next year.

I look for us to add one more DL and CB after the round of cuts for depth.   It has the feel that our team believes we are going to put up a lot of points on O over the next couple years and are building a defense to get after the qb and slow down opponents O.   Like others said, it will be interesting to see how these new guys stack up.

Disagree strongly with the first statement. Speaks would be an upgrade setting the edge at OLB (if he hits the field this year over Ford, which he may). Hitchens is a big upgrade over the broken version of DJ vs the run. Anybody we put at corner is an upgrade to Peters' non-tackles. If O'Dorien can play he's an upgrade at the dime backer spot over dirty dan which be huge considering how often we got ran over out of 3 wide sets. And of course Eric F. Berry is back.

I also believe Nnadi will eventually be an upgrade. Definitely was really good vs run in college.

Definitely better built to stop the run this year. we can't get much worse. I will concede some of those upgrades may not pay off til next year.

The question was specially how you feel about the D line. I agree with everything you said, but none of those guys play Dline.

AND, Ragland is only going to get better!

Don't forget about Xavier Williams

First off the defense gave up 112 yards rushing or less and no 100 yard rushers the last 10’weeks of the season. It’s a sign to me our dline wasn’t as bad as some think vs the run. The playoff game was an abberation where injuries forced our backups into far more playing time than usual.

One thing our dline did not do was generate any pass rush other than Jones. We need the rest of these guys to at least combine to get as many as Jones and we’d be fine. If Bailey is healthy, that’s an upgrade within itself and makes it possible. Likewise I think rotation st NT should prove to be better, especially as season progresses.

Not much else changes from last season. I’d call it a slightly improved group that needs more consistency from Jones and Bailey to get back to where he was prior to shoulder injury to be impactful.

I'm not sure they'll manufacture much pass rush on the line itself. Maybe xavier will help

If they don’t. It’s a problem. We averaged 12.5 sacks per year from the dline from 2013-2015. That number dropped to 6.5 in 2016 and jumped a bit back to 9 last year with emergence of Chris Jones. I’m not really asking for much out of the other guys. But they do need to finish a few more plays to cumulatively get us back in the game.

I'm not sure they'll manufacture much pass rush on the line itself. Maybe xavier will help

I'm not sure I agree.  I think Nnadi will play more and more over the course of the season, and a super strong guy in the middle can push the pocket back or occupy two blockers, allowing rushers  more opportunity to get in from the sides. Jones will be playing more on the outside and will be one of those guys.  Speaks will be playing more as an outside lineman when he comes in.  So, I think that the D-line, itself, will be generating more pass rush.

Archived