Nfl.com Gil Brandt 'Chiefs most vulnerable'.

.http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000932218/article/chiefs-jaguars-among-most-vulnerable-division-winners

1) Kansas City Chiefs (AFC West)

When Alex Smith (33 interceptions over the past five seasons) was at quarterback, the Chiefs knew he wouldn't turn the ball over. They can't assume the same with second-year pro Patrick Mahomes taking the reins in 2018. Mahomes' future is bright, but I don't think he'll be off-the-charts great immediately -- he's only started one game in the NFL, and you have to expect hiccups when working in a younger, less experienced player like that. And, of course, former offensive coordinator Matt Nagy -- now coaching the Bears -- will be missed. Kansas City did add some offensive firepower by signing receiver Sammy Watkins, but the real issue here is the defense, which gave up points and yards by the bushel last season. Marcus Peters, Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali are gone, while Justin Houston hasn't reached double digits in sacks since 2014. Signing linebacker Anthony Hitchens was a smart move, and cornerback Kendall Fuller -- who came over in the trade that sent Smith to Washington -- is a good player, but I don't see anyone on the roster who can rush the passer like Houston in his heyday. The key is safety Eric Berry. Will he be fully recovered from the Achilles tear that wiped out his 2017 season?

The competition: The Chargers, who finished 9-7 last season, are much improved, especially on defense -- and with veteran kicker Caleb Sturgis on board, I don't think they'll have the kicking problems that effectively kept them from making the playoffs last year. Jon Gruden's Raiders will be better. Denver has a QB in place (Case Keenum) who will help win some games, while the Broncos' defense will get a huge boost from the addition of rookie Bradley Chubb. This collection of teams will make it very difficult for Kansas City to defend its division title.

Follow Gil Brandt on Twitter @Gil_Brandt.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again some national media blowhard references Hali and Johnson as key losses when they haven't been good players for almost 3 seasons now.

Come on, Brandt has been around the NFL for 60 yrs he kinda knows his shit. Everything he said was accurate. Btw I met Gil at the Draft last year.

We gave up yards by the bushel but we didn’t give up tons of points if my memory serves me correct. We had a bad game here and there but I consider giving up a lot of points to be 28 or more. He makes a few valid points but is a typical national pundit

On the other hand the Chargers QB will be 37 next season and hasn’t beaten us since 2013. The Broncos have a horrible oline, mediocre QB and have lost five straight to us. And the Raiders have a new coach and seem to be counting on regressing older players for a quick fix and are 2-8 against us in the Reid era.

Yes. Most of us realize we are succeptable as we actually got significantly younger even as the two time defending division champs But it just seems like we are ahead of the game on this division right now. I wouldn’t count us out at all. And if we do happen to win again, we may just rip off 5-6 division titles in a row. Again though this one looks like it will be the most challenging. Not much would surprise me about this year.

Come on, Brandt has been around the NFL for 60 yrs he kinda knows his shit. Everything he said was accurate. Btw I met Gil at the Draft last year.

The game has passed him by. Sure he's forgotten more than we know, but it's somewhat painful to see him try to scout analyze today.

Enjoy his stories though.

Wasn't this a thing last year too? Lots of people picked the Raiders to win the division and the Chargers were coming on strong. How'd that turn out?

Lots of folks saying 2019 will be the year but why automatically give up on 2018? I think the Chiefs are gonna be pretty good.

At this point I'm welcoming some negative predictions about the Chiefs. There has been too much hype around our young and upcoming team with Mahomes at the helm but a lower profile team is generally less beaten by the time playoffs arrive. 

I think most have talked about the future of this team and Mahomes. Seems most local and national media start with Mahomes and finish with him when it comes to being a true rookie and can’t play as well as Alex has his “rookie” inexperienced first year.

I say he is better than Alex and shock a ton of people.

I think most have talked about the future of this team and Mahomes. Seems most local and national media start with Mahomes and finish with him when it comes to being a true rookie and can’t play as well as Alex has his “rookie” inexperienced first year.

I say he is better than Alex and shock a ton of people.

Even if he's better, which I believe he is, this is a young team with a lot of newcomers. It's very rare to see all of the offseason changes to work, and to be successful we actually need that to happen on defense. 

Other than Peter Shrager at NFL network...most pundits aren't picking the Chiefs to do much this season and that's okay.

The biggest expectations seem to be coming from Veach, Reid and Mahomes. I'm great with that too.

Even if he's better, which I believe he is, this is a young team with a lot of newcomers. It's very rare to see all of the offseason changes to work, and to be successful we actually need that to happen on defense. 

I still think our biggest question mark is our secondary by far!  Peters gone, Parkers gone, Will Berry be himself yet?  Can Amerson play at his potential?  Will Fuller be able to handle the outside?

Soooooooooooo many questions in that secondary 

I still think our biggest question mark is our secondary by far!  Peters gone, Parkers gone, Will Berry be himself yet?  Can Amerson play at his potential?  Will Fuller be able to handle the outside?

IMO the biggest thing this secondary needs is a pass rush in front of them.

I still think our biggest question mark is our secondary by far! Peters gone, Parkers gone, Will Berry be himself yet? Can Amerson play at his potential? Will Fuller be able to handle the outside?

I think Veach will make this focus of next offseason where we have money and draft picks to fix in earnest. It’s a hold your breath situation this year.

Archived