No NFL Draft in KC's immediate future?

Five cities are finalists to hold the NFL Draft in 2019 or 2020, and Kansas City is one of them. Or is it now four cities for one draft?

According to ESPN NFL reporter Adam Schefter, one of the other finalists — Nashville — has emerged as a leading contender for the 2019 event. And if it doesn’t get the event that year, it will be a leading contender in 2020.

Besides KC, the other finalists are Denver, Cleveland/Canton and Las Vegas. The sites are expected to be announced at the spring NFL owners meetings in Atlanta on May 22-23.

Kansas City has offered up a setting of Union Station as the main staging area. The area would include Washington Square Park, Crown Center and the lawn of the National World War I Museum.

The draft is a three-day event. It was held in New York City from 1965 through 2014. Since 2015, it has spent two years in Chicago, one in Philadelphia and last month was held at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Tex.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article210930699.html#storylink=cpy

They should let what ever team that wins the SB host the draft.

That would be a nice get for the host city, but would be impossible to plan if it wasn't awarded until after the Super Bowl. An event of this size and scope would take months to plan and would likely require booking of the facility a year in advance. Cool idea, though.

Didn't Clark volunteer to send the Chiefs to Europe for one of our home games so to guarantee a Draft day?

No, it seems he volunteered that for no reason. What he wanted was to host the Super Bowl, but obviously there were no guarantees and I am pessimistic. I feel like we just gave up a home game for no reason. We also didn't challenge a few decisions against us to gain favor, it seemed. For nothing. We ended up winning that away game so it didn't really matter, I suppose but we had one fewer home game. This year we have one if you were read games. Technically still eight, but one is in Mexico instead of in Los Angeles, which is basically Mexico part two, not to be confused with New Mexico. Just kidding.

I think it should be a random drawing powerball style. Every fan base should have equal opportunity to host the draft.

When you win the Powerball, your name should be taken out of the drawing for the next several years at least. It would be different for Super Bowl hosting because that requires more and I know that they are trying to incentivize the new stadiums.

Who cares draft sucks now, ruined by roger

This draft got better ratings than NBA and NHL playoffs combined that same weekend. I loved draft all in one day but it’s hard to argue with ratings success stymied by adding it on Fox.

This draft got better ratings than NBA and NHL playoffs combined that same weekend. I loved draft all in one day but it’s hard to argue with ratings success stymied by adding it on Fox.

Its probably more entertaining for the avid football fan because there is so much more non draft material going on during the broadcast now. It is hard to argue the ratings, but for those who want actual info such as stats, projections, team fits, it sucks now.

Its probably more entertaining for the avid football fan because there is so much more non draft material going on during the broadcast now. It is hard to argue the ratings, but for those who want actual info such as stats, projections, team fits, it sucks now.

Can’t argue with that.

As computers and network TV become more interactive it would be nice if Draft watchers could watch the pick then immediately watch a short summary of that pick (highlights, stats, depth chart with new team, etc.). They used to do that more with players but now they have 50 experts who need to talk about it, or interview GMs (who cares!). I really don't care to even watch the draftees being interviewed. Hey you are happy to be in the NFL, I GET IT! I want to know more about the players. That is especially true after the first round and they spend even less time talking about them (yes, I understand that the picks come more rapidly) but an interactive method could put the draft on hold until you've looked at that player's profile. 

That would be a nice get for the host city, but would be impossible to plan if it wasn't awarded until after the Super Bowl. An event of this size and scope would take months to plan and would likely require booking of the facility a year in advance. Cool idea, though.

Take the winner and loser of the 2017 SB and let them host the draft and SB 5 years down the road. That gives them plenty of time to get ready.

Archived