Berry at OTAs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/22/eric-berry-is-back-in-action-for-the-chiefs-at-the-start-of-otas/amp/

The return of Eric Berry right now in OTAs is significant for several reasons.

First of all Eric Berry is returning from an achilles injury, but it’s not exactly his first rodeo. Berry knows how to come back from injury and then some. He returned to play quickly after sustaining an ACL tear in 2011 and did the same after being diagnosed with cancer in 2014.

The guy just does the impossible when it comes to recoveries. This time he is coming back after having ruptured his achilles, which is one of the more difficult injuries for players to come back from. Recovery and repair take anywhere from six to nine months for the typical athlete.

The fact that Berry is already practicing in any capacity shows that he isn’t exactly the typical athlete.

Another reason that this is significant is because Eric Berry actually skipped OTAs during the 2017 offseason. According to Berry the reason he skipped OTAs in 2017 was to be around his family.

“There were certain things that I just wanted to get away from the game and reflect on what I needed to work on, be around my family. I was actually at home for the most part, but just be around my family.

Seeing my parents, seeing my brothers, seeing my family, it’s always good to be around them, good vibes and stuff like that. I know I won’t be around them much in the season, so might as well get that good quality time while I can.”

This makes a ton of sense especially in the season following Berry defeating cancer.

Now it appears that Berry is ready to get in some voluntary work and get back out there on the football field.

One thing we also have to remember the Chiefs are down two defensive leaders with Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali no longer in the building. That means guys like Eric Berry are going to have to take up that mantle in a larger capacity than they perhaps already accounted for.

Getting out there and getting work with a unit that could have as many as seven new starters is going to be important for establishing that leadership. It will also mean a lot for the success of the defense in 2018.

I love that he is there. I have been critical of him skipping OTAs and his decisions in deep coverage, but there is no doubt that he is a stud that kills it as, not only a heads up thumper in run defense and one of the best at picking up TEs, but as an example of how a true pro prepares. The rookies have to feed off of that. Being around studs doing the silly OTA stuff has to reinforce the importance of chemistry. Kudos to Berry.

Eh, I don't agree.

DJ was back for camp and injured his Achilles near the end of the year while Berry did it Week 1. It's not really abnormal.

Agree this isn’t unusual. But DJ was never the same player last year. Gotta hope Berry comes back much stronger than DJ did.

The return also plays an important role in the yearly performance. Berry got injured in week 1 which meant him getting more time to get back to football shape in the next season but DJ didn't have that chance. I doubt DJ gets back to his old form due to his age but players don't really come back from injury unless they have a full TC to get them up to football shape. 

Eh, I don't agree.

DJ was back for camp and injured his Achilles near the end of the year while Berry did it Week 1. It's not really abnormal.

I am confused. You don’t agree that it is good for the younger players and team chemistry?

Archived