Tony G will be inducted into the Chiefs HOF in December

The most prolific pass catcher in Chiefs history will add his name to the Arrowhead Stadium Ring of Honor in December.

The franchise will honor tight end Tony Gonzalez on Dec. 13, when the Chiefs play host to the Los Angeles Chargers in a Thursday night primetime game.

“To be able to go up in that Ring of Honor and be listed with all those guys, whew, it’s amazing,” Gonzalez told The Star in February, when he visited Kansas City for the 47th annual 101 Awards. “Couldn’t ask for anything more.”

A shaky rookie season in 1997 gave way to the most established tight-end career in NFL history, the bulk of it in Kansas City.

Gonzalez played 12 seasons with the Chiefs, setting franchise records for career receptions, receiving touchdowns (76) and 100-yard games (26). He also holds single-season and single-game marks for receptions. He finished his career with five seasons in Atlanta.

Across the nearly two decades, Gonzalez made 14 Pro Bowls and six All-Pro teams. He will first be eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2019.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article211740844.html#storylink=cpy

maybe they can finally retire his damn number and quit letting inferior TEs wear it...

they will retire it when  he gets into the NFL HOF that has been SOP  but that being said Curly Culp wore #61 and is now is a HOFr and Morris still wears that..  I'm wondering  how long that old tradition will  hold... Granted  Curly went on to play with the Oilers but then TG went to play with the Dirty Birds so could be interesting.

Personally if your not a  career Chief/ NFL HOFr  your #  doesn't get retired

Well deserved but I still haven’t gotten over the release request

Don't you know, he wanted to go to a team that had the chance to go to a SB. Let me see how many SBs did he get to with Atlanta? I also believe in his time at Atlanta they played in one more playoff game then KC did during his time in Atlanta.

I was a little pissed when TG requested a trade. Same feeling when NS signed with Denver for less than we offered him to stay. I get it though. Coming off 2-14 and 4-12 with Huatd then Thigpen as his QBs. Entering his last few years. I get it.

Gonzo, Neil and DJ are always Chiefs in my book. Ironically, they would have been local legends like Will, DT and Grunny if they would have stayed. I guess those days of a player completing a career with one team are over.

Archived