We love stealing from the Chiefs

Jon Gruden on Raiders signing Derrick Johnson: 'We love stealing from the Chiefs'

By Pete Grathoff

If you expected Raiders coach Jon Gruden to downplay new Oakland linebacker Derrick Johnson's history with the Chiefs, think again.

In a conference call Wednesday with Raiders season-ticket members, Gruden was asked about the need to improve the middle of the defense.

That’s when Gruden talked about his love of stealing players from the Chiefs, and brought up at least one player whom Kansas City fans still lament getting away.

“Well, we feel like we have solidified the middle of our defense big time,” Gruden said. “We added Derrick Johnson, the all-time leading tackler in Kansas City Chief history. He started every game for them last year, they were the division champions.

“Last time I was here in Oakland, we stole (quarterback) Rich Gannon from Kansas City, we took (receiver) Andre Rison from the Chiefs, we took (defensive back) Albert Lewis from the Chiefs. We love stealing from the Chiefs. So now we’ve got Derrick Johnson, and I’m on my way to the Raiders store to pick up a Derrick Johnson Raiders jersey. I’m going to wear it home tonight."

Gruden was asked who he viewed as the biggest threat in the AFC West.

"I think as a fellow Raider I think you would agree that we don't discriminate or we don't doubt anybody in our division," Gruden said. "We do not like Kansas City at all and they don't like us. And the Chargers have been an archrival for years and years, and you have to respect the Denver Broncos. But these are all fierce rivalries.

"You throw out all the records whenever these teams play. There's a lot of bad blood in the AFC West. But all we can control is ourselves. We're not even going to worry about who are the favorites. We're going to worry about the Oakland Raiders and bringing it every single week."

Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie was on the call and he was asked about how difficult it was to "see his boy in red." That was in reference to the Chiefs drafting offensive lineman Kahlil McKenzie.

“Even though it’s my boy, it’s still Raiders versus Chiefs on that day,” Reggie McKenzie said. “I’m happy and proud of him at this point, but on game day, it is what it is. That rivalry will never end, and he knows that. He’s being indoctrinated in Kansas City as we speak, in that regard. It was great seeing him get drafted, but it’s going to be fun when we play them, that’s for sure.”

Yep. Rich came in at the very end of that playoff game if I remember right. After Grbac stink it up all game, Gannon almost won it for us Lake Dawson dropped a tie down pass?

Anyway, devastating decision to let him go.

Yep. Rich came in at the very end of that playoff game if I remember right. After Grbac stink it up all game, Gannon almost won it for us Lake Dawson dropped a tie down pass?

Anyway, devastating decision to let him go.

That was Colts playoff game in 1995 season.

Let's see...the last Chiefs defender the Raiders "stole" from us was Sean Smith. How did that turn out? Besides....cutting a player and then picking up from another team is hardly stealing. Kinda like how Denver stole Jamaal Charles. And look at the impact he had.

Can't really argue with his approach. They did steal Gannon from us. Afterwards they got some bums but that doesn't really wash away a huge mistake by us. DJ isn't the next Gannon situation so we should be fine but have to wait before we can actually make fun of Gruden. 

Rich Gannon was the dumbest loss the Chiefs ever had. Worst defection ever. They picked Grbac over Gannon for that playoff game against the Broncos. God that was dumb.

Yup. Massive miscalculation by Marty. Had we kept Gannon in we may have won the SB that year.

I don't know how you steal something that was discarded but ok

He's nothing but fluff and the morons in Oakland are eating it up

Not fluff.  He knows the game, calls the signals, and inspires the locker room. He might even speed up this year, since he is further out from his injury.  He might be quite good for another couple of years. He will be an asset for Oakland.  But you're right.  He wasn't stolen from us.

Yup. Massive miscalculation by Marty. Had we kept Gannon in we may have won the SB that year.

Marty was a defensive mind.  He wasn't particularly brilliant when it came to offense.  He was lucky to have some great RB's  and a fine O-line at times.  But he did not make great personnel decisions on offense.

Not fluff.  He knows the game, calls the signals, and inspires the locker room. He might even speed up this year, since he is further out from his injury.  He might be quite good for another couple of years. He will be an asset for Oakland.  But you're right.  He wasn't stolen from us.

The fluff was in reference to Gruden, but I don't think DJ can handle anything mote than a situational role

Not fluff. He knows the game, calls the signals, and inspires the locker room. He might even speed up this year, since he is further out from his injury. He might be quite good for another couple of years. He will be an asset for Oakland. But you're right. He wasn't stolen from us.

The rest of the West is just trying to figure out how to beat us, while we are making bold moves to win a Lombardi. We are just ahead of the game compared to our division foes at this point. As for DJ, who’s better now our new guy or the guy they “stole.” It again just shows they are trying futilely to catch us.

Archived