We love stealing from the Chiefs

The only recent "steal" I can recall is probably Hudson. Of course he was a free agent and was offered a ton of money but you could argue our center position hasn't been the same since. The one that really hurt me the most was Albert Lewis. He was a keystone to that great Chiefs defense and having to see him on the other side twice a year was really tough. I guess Marcus Allen more than made up for it though.

The only recent "steal" I can recall is probably Hudson. Of course he was a free agent and was offered a ton of money but you could argue our center position hasn't been the same since. The one that really hurt me the most was Albert Lewis. He was a keystone to that great Chiefs defense and having to see him on the other side twice a year was really tough. I guess Marcus Allen more than made up for it though.

I think Hudson is somewhere in between. He's one of the top OCs in the NFL but they made him the highest paid. They had the cap to do so but not sure if it's really a steal when paying so much money.

Of course we upgraded our secondary with the lock down duo of Hasty and Carter and went 7-1 against Albert Lewis Raiders. This kind of feels like this. As because most of us consider DJ a lifer but reality is they aren’t getting the same guy we used to know. Same thing with Albert Lewis. He and the Rock were cornerstone Chiefs.

I don’t either. A guy DJs age with 2 Achilles in a span of just over 2 years. I would have to assume he won’t fully recover. I would want him as a role model for some young guys and put him in on 1/3 of the snaps or so.

Seeing DJ twice a year is a win for us.

And I will never understand the revisionist history on Gannon.  When they gave him the full-time role in 1998 he was not that good.  He was only ever slightly above average when he came in as a replacement for injury (1997) or ineffectiveness (1995 and 1996 with Bono).  And his time with the Raiders was overrated.  I don't usually believe in "system QBs" but if the label ever applied to someone it was to Gannon in Oakland.

Seeing DJ twice a year is a win for us.

And I will never understand the revisionist history on Gannon.  When they gave him the full-time role in 1998 he was not that good.  He was only ever slightly above average when he came in as a replacement for injury (1997) or ineffectiveness (1995 and 1996 with Bono).  And his time with the Raiders was overrated.  I don't usually believe in "system QBs" but if the label ever applied to someone it was to Gannon in Oakland.

Disagree about Gannon. The guy was NFL MVP in Oakland. He was never going to pile up the stats in our scheme with our defense. But he won his final 6 starts heading into the playoffs in 1997 and should have started that playoff game. I had Mike Shanahan tell me in Lake Tahoe that next summer "We didn't want any part of Gannon."  

But had they just started him in the second half of that 1996 loss against the Colts, we probably go to the Super Bowl that year as well. All we needed from our QB that year was to not turn the ball over. Bono went into postseason a trainwreck like Elliott did. And threw 3 INTs in that playoff loss. We brought Gannon in for final drive but it was too little to late.  

Disagree about Gannon. The guy was NFL MVP in Oakland. He was never going to pile up the stats in our scheme with our defense. But he won his final 6 starts heading into the playoffs in 1997 and should have started that playoff game. I had Mike Shanahan tell me in Lake Tahoe that next summer "We didn't want any part of Gannon."  

But had they just started him in the second half of that 1996 loss against the Colts, we probably go to the Super Bowl that year as well. All we needed from our QB that year was to not turn the ball over. Bono went into postseason a trainwreck like Elliott did. And threw 3 INTs in that playoff loss. We brought Gannon in for final drive but it was too little to late.

I’ve heard your Shanahan story before. It’s interesting but I don’t consider him the final authority on anything. His personnel decisions haven’t exactly been stellar.

Gannon wasn’t good in 1998 when he was handed the official starting job for Grbac’s effectiveness. Same in 1996 when he was handed the reins at the end of the season for Bono’s ineffectiveness. Gannon had the heart of a lot of fans because he looked better than Bono in the 1995 playoffs (Jan 1996) game against the Colts and what he did in 1997 for Grbac’s injury, but the truth is it’s revisionist history to say that he really definitively proved he deserved the job over Grbac by the end of the 1998 season. He blossomed into something else in Oakland—something that would have earned the job over Grbac, but it was definitely something he hadn’t shown before. And even that has been exaggerated in the minds of regretful Chiefs fans—MVP notwithstanding, he was the beneficiary of a system that valued efficiency above all else. His record for completions in that MNF game is pretty ridiculous, I think you or I could go 78 for 79 for 12 yards.

I realize I won’t convince you or anyone else on this, but I really have zero regrets about Gannon. I don’t think we would have accomplished much more with him than we did without him. And I have basically a season’s worth of evidence spread from 1995 to 1998 that says we would have been an average to mildly above average team with him at the reins.

I’ve heard your Shanahan story before. It’s interesting but I don’t consider him the final authority on anything. His personnel decisions haven’t exactly been stellar.

Gannon wasn’t good in 1998 when he was handed the official starting job for Grbac’s effectiveness. Same in 1996 when he was handed the reins at the end of the season for Bono’s ineffectiveness. Gannon had the heart of a lot of fans because he looked better than Bono in the 1995 playoffs (Jan 1996) game against the Colts and what he did in 1997 for Grbac’s injury, but the truth is it’s revisionist history to say that he really definitively proved he deserved the job over Grbac by the end of the 1998 season. He blossomed into something else in Oakland—something that would have earned the job over Grbac, but it was definitely something he hadn’t shown before. And even that has been exaggerated in the minds of regretful Chiefs fans—MVP notwithstanding, he was the beneficiary of a system that valued efficiency above all else. His record for completions in that MNF game is pretty ridiculous, I think you or I could go 78 for 79 for 12 yards.

I realize I won’t convince you or anyone else on this, but I really have zero regrets about Gannon. I don’t think we would have accomplished much more with him than we did without him. And I have basically a season’s worth of evidence spread from 1995 to 1998 that says we would have been an average to mildly above average team with him at the reins.

When you are the head coach of the opposing team and say you were glad we didn't play Gannon, I think it carries some weight. Gannon just had an it factor to him. I remember the first Denver win which helped us clinched division. Gannon was miserable. But he made critical plays at the right times and we won. Flash forward to Grbac and the exact opposite happened. But in retrospect why in the world would you change the most important position in sports riding a six game winning streak when the other guy had played only half a game the last two months. Either way we didn't choke that day.  The two best teams in football played that day in my opinion. And I'll readily admit I had no problem with Grbac starting at the time. I was wrong. 

Again though I see almost no chance we lose to the Colts in 1996 with Gannon playing. Bono and Elliott GAVE the game away. If either one of them was replaced by anyone even remotely useful we host the AFC Championship game at Arrowhead the next week. It was truly the biggest choke in franchise history. Heck Marty must have realized it too late because he went to Gannon late in the 4th quarter and we drove down and were a completion from winning it anyway. Not sure how anyone could not regret the decision to not replace Elliott when he was missing extra points or bench Bono earlier in that game. 

When you are the head coach of the opposing team and say you were glad we didn't play Gannon, I think it carries some weight. Gannon just had an it factor to him. I remember the first Denver win which helped us clinched division. Gannon was miserable. But he made critical plays at the right times and we won. Flash forward to Grbac and the exact opposite happened. But in retrospect why in the world would you change the most important position in sports riding a six game winning streak when the other guy had played only half a game the last two months. Either way we didn't choke that day.  The two best teams in football played that day in my opinion. And I'll readily admit I had no problem with Grbac starting at the time. I was wrong. 

Again though I see almost no chance we lose to the Colts in 1996 with Gannon playing. Bono and Elliott GAVE the game away. If either one of them was replaced by anyone even remotely useful we host the AFC Championship game at Arrowhead the next week. It was truly the biggest choke in franchise history. Heck Marty must have realized it too late because he went to Gannon late in the 4th quarter and we drove down and were a completion from winning it anyway. Not sure how anyone could not regret the decision to not replace Elliott when he was missing extra points or bench Bono earlier in that game. 

I suspect Bono and Elliott made a lot of money from some nefarious characters someplace.  Just a suspicion.  Just a conspiracy theory.

Again, I don’t think Shanahan’s opinion is meaningless, but it’s not a trump card against other evidence. Coaches are wrong a lot.

I notice you keep ignoring Gannon’s performance in 1998. Again, he didn’t win the KC job when he had a chance. At the time it really wasn’t that bad of a decision given the evidence to that point. People remember it differently than it actually was based on the results that followed. But bad results do not mean that the process was bad.

Also, I could be wrong, but I believe Grbac started the final regular season game in 1997 and played reasonably well. It wasn’t like he came into the playoff game cold. And he at least put up numbers in the Denver playoff game; we were only a drop here or a bad call there away from winning.

Again, I don’t think Shanahan’s opinion is meaningless, but it’s not a trump card against other evidence. Coaches are wrong a lot.

I notice you keep ignoring Gannon’s performance in 1998. Again, he didn’t win the KC job when he had a chance. At the time it really wasn’t that bad of a decision given the evidence to that point. People remember it differently than it actually was based on the results that followed. But bad results do not mean that the process was bad.

Also, I could be wrong, but I believe Grbac started the final regular season game in 1997 and played reasonably well. It wasn’t like he came into the playoff game cold. And he at least put up numbers in the Denver playoff game; we were only a drop here or a bad call there away from winning.

Or less grease on the jersies from winning....

Gannon was all heart.

A coach is very aware of the challenges in game planning against players. They aren’t wrong about that. When a coach offers up a statement like that it’s compelling. Gannon created more problems than the immobile and less experienced Grbac. We were also crushing teams with Gannon that last month and had won our last three games by a staggering 103-16 margin before Grbac returned in week 16. It just made no sense at all to make that change.

This team imploded on itself in 1998. End of the Marty era. But Gannon was clearly better than Grbacs disaster of a season. We kept the worse of the two QBs for some reason. But I’d agree our futile attempt to cling to dying era with Gunther was doomed to fail either way. It was just painful to see what a better offensive coach could do with Gannon’s skills. But we needed to gut the ship and rebuild at that point.

I’ll just stick with my narrative that 1995 and 1997 teams would have likely finished much differently had Gannon been given a legit chance in either playoff game. He got neither and we lost both scoring only 7 and 10 points.

Well said.

Most passes completed in a season. Gannon is #2 all time behind Brees. Most passes completed in a game. Gannon is #2 all time behind Bledsoe.

The guy was ridiculously accurate.

Archived