It Is Officially Time to Buy the Hype on Patrick Mahomes

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh, where in my post said they were quality guys (outside of Peters)

Feel free to point it out.

I've been the one that called most these dudes worthless, when it wasn't cool to do so.

See my posts calling Ron Parker, Bennie Logan trash.

Even if you upgrade at every single spot, it's still a 50% or so turnover and nobody knows how well the remade D will work together (people always ignore that part) out the gate, or if every move was an actual upgrade.

I didn't say you made those exact comments. Those were my words to describe my thoughts on the players. Okay? Okay.  That said, if said players were not performing, had break downs in communication, were not a scheme fit (Marcus Peters constantly playing 15 yards off on 3rd and 3), one could only imaging the players brought into the mix would at the bare minimum meet those expectations. I am not indicating that they will perform "talent wise", but I do believe they brought in players that should be expected to do those things. Yes they have to mend and mesh together and guess what? They have an entire off-season and training camp to do so. Do I expect them to play as if they have played together for multiple seasons? No I do NOT. But neither did last years defense resemble a team that has been together for years. The way I look at it is that the arrow is pointing up.

If the offense performs like I think it can with Mahomes, the question I have becomes this: Even with an average defense will the stats look bad because teams are trying to win a shoot out?

To be honest, I would have been much more upset if the Chiefs brought back those DBs in hopes of "one more year of coaching them up" or "knowing the system better" crap rhetoric. Those guys were either a combination of great athlete with no football skills or good football skills and just not athletic enough. If you lack either trait, today's offenses will find you and eat you alive. Unfortunately, we had several of those types of guys. It really only improved when Nelson got healthy and only had the 2nd CB to pick on. We might be in the same boat if Amerson or whomever plays the 2nd CB doesn't come through. At least Berry may be able to assist with covering those weaknesses. 

To be honest, I would have been much more upset if the Chiefs brought back those DBs in hopes of "one more year of coaching them up" or "knowing the system better" crap rhetoric. Those guys were either a combination of great athlete with no football skills or good football skills and just not athletic enough. If you lack either trait, today's offenses will find you and eat you alive. Unfortunately, we had several of those types of guys. It really only improved when Nelson got healthy and only had the 2nd CB to pick on. We might be in the same boat if Amerson or whomever plays the 2nd CB doesn't come through. At least Berry may be able to assist with covering those weaknesses. 

I agree with you.  Also, with the return of Berry and the aggressive nature of the new guys we picked for that quality, the improved LB's, etc.  I think we can be middle of the pack defensively.  That's plenty, if our offense turns out to be as good as we think.  As for TD to Int ratio, Mahomes will make a few mistakes, but I believe that the staff has accounted for this by loading up on RB's.  We are going to run a lot more this season, which will help while Mahomets refines his decisions.  He also won't be teed-off on so much, or the RB's will kill them for it.  I am still thinking playoffs.

what I’m really looking forward to is the ball in Mahomes’ hands late with a chance to win the game. Ultimately, that’s where Smith failed. If he’s not an upgrade there, this will all be much ado about nothing.

He’s 1 for 1 so far, a good start!!

what I’m really looking forward to is the ball in Mahomes’ hands late with a chance to win the game. Ultimately, that’s where Smith failed. If he’s not an upgrade there, this will all be much ado about nothing.

I think that's something he'll need to learn It's always easy on paper as there's a play and the QB needs to execute it but there's a huge mental aspect to it most guys fail to develop. 

Than why quote me?

I think I'd want to see the Chiefs find a way to break the LoS before making declarations or theory crafting improvements.

I quoted you because I disagreed with your thought process that the defense would take a step backwards because of turnover. My premise was that these players no longer contributed like quality starters.

I thought I made that clear but I guess not.

Anyways back to Mahomes. :)

Did you read the film break down about Sorenson on Arrowhead Pride? Great example of how Berry made up for other player weaknesses.

I think that's something he'll need to learn It's always easy on paper as there's a play and the QB needs to execute it but there's a huge mental aspect to it most guys fail to develop.

I'm a bit of an optimist so I believe Mahomes has that factor naturally growing up in a house of a professional athlete. He knows he has to put in the work physically and mentally in addition to his natural abilities. I think the Chiefs finally found that elusive QB they've failed at finding for decades.

I'm a bit of an optimist so I believe Mahomes has that factor naturally growing up in a house of a professional athlete. He knows he has to put in the work physically and mentally in addition to his natural abilities. I think the Chiefs finally found that elusive QB they've failed at finding for decades.

I also feel like Mahomes has the mental side figured out. A lot of players have been praising him which should come with more than just physical ability. However if he's not just there yet I'm willing to give him some time to take care of that side as well. 

I also feel like Mahomes has the mental side figured out. A lot of players have been praising him which should come with more than just physical ability. However if he's not just there yet I'm willing to give him some time to take care of that side as well.

Absolutely. While I expect him to be better than most young QBs in that regard because of his upbringing he will still have some learning and improving to do.

I think he’s got the work ethic and has learned how to work. That should speed up learning curve. But there’s still gonna be a definitive learning curve which will likely be obvious at times.

I'm thrilled Smith is gone but let's not exaggerate...the comeback against San Diego and the MNF game against Washington are just two Smith comebacks that come to mind.  He had his moments, though not in the playoffs or against Pittsburgh.

I'm thrilled Smith is gone but let's not exaggerate...the comeback against San Diego and the MNF game against Washington are just two Smith comebacks that come to mind. He had his moments, though not in the playoffs or against Pittsburgh.

It’s oversimplifying to say he couldn’t orchestrate comebacks, because he could. The problem with Alex to me is that he’s always been to mechanical as a passer. He’s fine in any situation, including the end of games when the primary play and WR/TE is open.

But he becomes a mess when things start to break down around him with any regularity in any situation also. We had games last year where the offense could do nothing. And Alex goes down with that ship with regularity.

That Pitt playoff loss he missed wide open Tyreek twice because he panicked and made bad reads. Same applies in the second half vs Tenn.

I expect as Mahomes matures for him to be a guy who can pull a struggling team through for an extra TD or whatever that will get us more wins in those tight games. Not necessarily at the end of games but anytime. Problem in the short term is he’s probably going to give some games away too.

I’ll gladly sacrifice that though to get to a point opposing defenses having a good day against us can never rest because a big play from Mahomes is always around the corner to blow that good day up.

Very good assessment IMO. And we struggled enough blocking that Smith seemed to feel pressure when the blocking was good. Plus he really struggled throwing on the run. Very good QB when everything is going right. Maddening when things aren’t. Mahomes is very exciting. I can’t wait to watch it unfold over the next 5 years.

Of course. This will be displayed over a career, not any one season. Same as for Smith.

Very good assessment IMO. And we struggled enough blocking that Smith seemed to feel pressure when the blocking was good. Plus he really struggled throwing on the run. Very good QB when everything is going right. Maddening when things aren’t. Mahomes is very exciting. I can’t wait to watch it unfold over the next 5 years.

I’d imagine that taking several years’ beating on bad teams in SF has a way of making you a little jumpy. Probably unavoidably so... What an advantage it is for mahomes to get drafted by a solid team!

:lol:  But if he misses the next one, he will only be at 50%.  That sucks.

Actually, the article should be re-titled.  After all, if we're "buying the hype," then by definition, it's not "hype," right?

I’d imagine that taking several years’ beating on bad teams in SF has a way of making you a little jumpy. Probably unavoidably so... What an advantage it is for mahomes to get drafted by a solid team!

Very true but I also think some QBs have an instinctive feel for pressure that I just don’t think Alex has.

Very true but I also think some QBs have an instinctive feel for pressure that I just don’t think Alex has.

Nope.  The problem with Alex is that he DOES have an instinctive feeling for pressure.  He is also incredibly smart, wants to live, and doesn't like to see his life passing in front of his eyes.  But he can win a Super Bowl with a great O-line and a top 10 defense.On the other hand, a guy like Mahomes just has the extraordinary arm and abilities to win, anyway, even with an average defense.  He will win some Super Bowls just because of himself.  Look way back to Len Dawson.  He was like Alex. Smart and great.  He won Super Bowl IV and got to Super Bowl I, because he had one of the great defenses of all time and had Stram as a coach. But when the pressure came at him, he learned to wisely curl up in a fetal position and save his own ass and live to fight another day.

Nope. The problem with Alex is that he DOES have an instinctive feeling for pressure. He is also incredibly smart, wants to live, and doesn't like to see his life passing in front of his eyes. But he can win a Super Bowl with a great O-line and a top 10 defense.On the other hand, a guy like Mahomes just has the extraordinary arm and abilities to win, anyway, even with an average defense. He will win some Super Bowls just because of himself. Look way back to Len Dawson. He was like Alex. Smart and great. He won Super Bowl IV and got to Super Bowl I, because he had one of the great defenses of all time and had Stram as a coach. But when the pressure came at him, he learned to wisely curl up in a fetal position and save his own ass and live to fight another day.

I disagree. I can’t begin to count the number of times Alex needlessly checked down because of phantom pressure. It cost us in both home playoff losses. He just leaves to many plays on the table and as the stakes rise that can be the difference between winning and losing.

I disagree. I can’t begin to count the number of times Alex needlessly checked down because of phantom pressure. It cost us in both home playoff losses. He just leaves to many plays on the table and as the stakes rise that can be the difference between winning and losing.

We are not disagreeing.  He has too much awareness of pressure. If he had an O-line that gave him more confidence it would help, but he is still too aware of pressure. The Redskins will love Alex, but they will still discover this problem, and it will gnaw at them for the next several years.

We are not disagreeing. He has too much awareness of pressure. If he had an O-line that gave him more confidence it would help, but he is still too aware of pressure. The Redskins will love Alex, but they will still discover this problem, and it will gnaw at them for the next several years.

Definitely agree the inconsistency of our oline didn’t help and needs to improve.

Archived