Would we go after Breeland?

Bashaud Breeland, cornerback

Breeland started 58 games for Washington over his four-year rookie deal and had struck a three-year, $24 million deal to join the Panthers this offseason, but a foot injury he suffered on vacation resulted in a failed physical and a silent free-agent market. Breeland recently met with the Colts and Cardinals, both of whom are desperate for cornerback help, and the fact that the two sides weren't able to consummate a deal might in itself be telling.

At this point, Breeland's probably looking at a one-year deal in advance of hitting the market again in 2019. Rashaan Melvinwas able to parlay a successful season with the Colts into a larger contract with the Raiders, but even that only became a one-year pact for $5.5 million. A better fit might lurk with the Chiefs, who are perilously thin at cornerback after trading Marcus Peters and could give Breeland a chance to shine in a more productive defense before seeking a long-term deal again next offseason.

New home: Kansas City Chiefs

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23668225/best-fits-unsigned-2018-nfl-free-agents-landing-spots-dez-bryant-more

This could happen. An injury to any of our three starters would put the reigns firmly in the hands of  as yet unproven players.  That isn't good for a team with super bowl aspirations. If it doesn't, then we have to hope for no significant injuries and/or one of the uproven guys panning out.  I don't care much for "hope."  I'm a big fan of confidence.

what the hell did he do to his foot that has put him in this situation?

Feet are obviously pretty important.  They also are structurally extremely complicated and have many, many ligaments, tendon insertions, and separate fine bones.  So, when injured, they take a long time to carefully rehab to avoid re-injury.  All of the pieces have to work together.  The stresses on feet while running are gigantic, but especially while making sharp turns and cuts. There are lots of nerves to protect them, so when injured they hurt a lot to keep us from putting those stresses on them.  Injecting pain killers and anti-inflammatories like steroids only slow down healing and allow actions that worsen the original injury or allow new ones to develop.  If your arches are not great, and you are slightly flat-footed, the stress of each impact is much greater.  If there is a single injury that could permanently reduce a player's availabiltity and effectiveness over the long term, a foot injury would be it.  We do need to be very careful about signing a one year contract with Breeland.  Mitch Morse will remain a big question mark as to whether he can ever be what he was initially. 

Feet are obviously pretty important.  They also are structurally extremely complicated and have many, many ligaments, tendon insertions, and separate fine bones.  So, when injured, they take a long time to carefully rehab to avoid re-injury.  All of the pieces have to work together.  The stresses on feet while running are gigantic, but especially while making sharp turns and cuts. There are lots of nerves to protect them, so when injured they hurt a lot to keep us from putting those stresses on them.  Injecting pain killers and anti-inflammatories like steroids only slow down healing and allow actions that worsen the original injury or allow new ones to develop.  If your arches are not great, and you are slightly flat-footed, the stress of each impact is much greater.  If there is a single injury that could permanently reduce a player's availabiltity and effectiveness over the long term, a foot injury would be it.  We do need to be very careful about signing a one year contract with Breeland.  Mitch Morse will remain a big question mark as to whether he can ever be what he was initially. 

did not really need a lecture on feet as i have more than enough problems with mine, just wanted to know how he got injured so badly on a vacation

did not really need a lecture on feet as i have more than enough problems with mine, just wanted to know how he got injured so badly on a vacation

Sorry for the lecture.  I find it interesting.  But it comes across like I'm some sore of know-it-all. I apologize. Hope your own feet get better.

Maybe he was getting back in the boat and dropped a scuba tank on it.  :o   Got bit by a marmot on a hiking trail?

Feet are obviously pretty important. They also are structurally extremely complicated and have many, many ligaments, tendon insertions, and separate fine bones. So, when injured, they take a long time to carefully rehab to avoid re-injury. All of the pieces have to work together. The stresses on feet while running are gigantic, but especially while making sharp turns and cuts. There are lots of nerves to protect them, so when injured they hurt a lot to keep us from putting those stresses on them. Injecting pain killers and anti-inflammatories like steroids only slow down healing and allow actions that worsen the original injury or allow new ones to develop. If your arches are not great, and you are slightly flat-footed, the stress of each impact is much greater. If there is a single injury that could permanently reduce a player's availabiltity and effectiveness over the long term, a foot injury would be it. We do need to be very careful about signing a one year contract with Breeland. Mitch Morse will remain a big question mark as to whether he can ever be what he was initially.

That’s why we’ve got to hope for the best with Watkins foot. He’s clearly healthy now which is a great sign his production could be ready to explode, but as you said these injuries are tricky.

Not much harm in a 1 year incentive laden deal though. But he’s gotta get through the doctors first or there’s no point.

Didn't breeland suck last year? I didnt pay much attention to him. I just remember tyreek eating his lunch, but he does that to a lot of people.

Also this is from the usa today article 2 posts up:

"He even signed a lucrative deal with the Panthers, but the deal was nullified due to a foot injury that became infected. It is unclear the type of infection, but if it is MRSA this was probably a justified reason to nix the deal. MRSA can spread through a locker room like wild fire and become extremely dangerous to the long term health of players."

Sounds dangerous. No need to rush into signing him.

Archived