KCstar. Sammy W. says Chiefs offense special

.http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article212755909.html

Star receiver Sammy Watkins calls Chiefs 'brightest offense that I’ve ever been in'

By Shaun Goodwin

sgoodwin@kcstar.com

June 07, 2018 02:59 PM

Updated 11 minutes ago

Running a simple dig route on the strong side of the offense on Wednesday afternoon, Chiefs receiver Sammy Watkins let a simple pass from Matt McGloin bounce out of his spread-eagle hands. Groans were heard around the field.

Just a couple of snaps later and on the weak side of Pat Mahomes, Watkins ran a speedy post route inside, picking up a clean catch and erasing any memory of the dropped pass.

Wednesday afternoon’s workout demonstrated the work Watkins has put in this offseason to become a more versatile player under coach Andy Reid.

“We’re moving them all over the place, and he’s handled it — we’ve overloaded him with that,” Reid said. “That’s how we do it in this offense, and that’s something new for him. You can tell he’s a guy who takes it away from here and studies.”

Breaking News

Be the first to know when big news breaks

Participating in his first full practice following his first couple of weeks training with the Chiefs, Watkins already has felt the mental strain that is experienced by those who play in Reid's complicated offense.

Watkins, who was signed this offseason as the team's biggest addition to the offense, has had to expand his game beyond being just a one-position kind of guy. In just the few weeks since he joined his new teammates, Watkins has adapted to moving around to different spots on the field.

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes talked about endorsements and the improvement of the team following OTA's at the Chief's practice facility. Shane Keyser

Watkins has especially worked against the linebackers and getting open on the safeties.

“This offense is the brightest offense that I’ve ever been in,” Watkins said. “It’s definitely a mental challenge, but I think that’s kind of what gets me up every day and studying plays and coming out here."

Watkins is a fifth-year pro out of Clemson who spent his first three years in the NFL with the Buffalo Bills as a first-round draft pick. He played last season for the L.A. Rams, catching 39 passes for 593 yards with eight touchdowns.

His best season was in 2015, when he caught 60 balls for 1,097 yards with nine touchdowns for Buffalo.

The smartly caught inside pass Watkins received from Mahomes on Wednesday revealed a glimpse of the connection the pair have forged in recent weeks. Mahomes is entering just his second season with the Chiefs, and first as their starting quarterback, but the leadership qualities he offers already have helped Watkins improve his own game.

“He’s been helping me on certain situations, certain downs,” Watkins explained. “And when I do mess up, make a mental error, he’ll come and say, ‘Hey man, we’re going to get it together.’

“Some plays I don’t know, and he’ll kind of shout it to me, and do a signal,” Watkins continued. “And that’s the good part about it.”

In return, Watkins has tried his hardest to perfect the crispness of his own routes, for the good of both his own game and Mahomes’. Whether it’s Watkins running the route or another receiver, the play must be run with precision in order to allow the offense to play with fluidity.

The high-intensity, full-speed workouts the Chiefs are going through now will prepare Watkins for being one of the main faces of this Chiefs team this fall.

Chiefs QB coach Kafka on Mahomes: 'He's been a pleasure to work with, a pleasure to coach'

Kansas City Chiefs quarterbacks coach Mike Kafka praises work ethic and leadership of Patrick Mahomes. Jill Toyoshiba

The Chiefs’ organized team activities, or OTAs, continue through Saturday. That's when the team breaks for a few days before returning for a mandatory minicamp on June 12.

"Anybody can get the ball, and I've got to learn all the positions," Watkins said. "I can’t just learn one position.”

In all fairness he has been in some shitty offenses with no offensive minded coaches or decent QBs. Being the brightest offense Watkins has been in isn't really lighting the world on fire. Hopefully we'll be much more than that. 

Sith13...you don't think Sean Mcvay is an offensive minded coach and you think his offensive scheme is "shitty"?

I think hes saying instead of being pigeonholed into a single WR position that this offense and the diversity it commands from the position will make a big difference with Watkins. It is kind of shitty approach to handling a quality WR McVay used. But overall clearly McVay is a good offensive coach. Andy’s better.

I think hes saying instead of being pigeonholed into a single WR position that this offense and the diversity it commands from the position will make a big difference with Watkins. It is kind of shitty approach to handling a quality WR McVay used. But overall clearly McVay is a good offensive coach. Andy’s better.

I think a lot of people paint a picture that Watkins just never was in a good offense. The Rams had a good offense. Mcvay is considered a top offensive mind. The Rams have weapons. So the narrative is false IMO. Now you bring up a different issue. One I happen to agree with. Watkins was misused in McVay's offense. Hopefully we can see the full range of his talents here in KC.

Sith13...you don't think Sean Mcvay is an offensive minded coach and you think his offensive scheme is "shitty"?

McVay is a smart coach, but I don't think he used Sammy to his full potential.

Trading for a big name target and using him as a decoy was an odd decision.

Is anyone else noticing that this offseason we are getting a lot of these “hype machine” driven stories about how great “insert players name here” will be and how dynamic this offense will be etc.. It’s obvious these are coming from within and without and they seem to be almost universally positive that the Chiefs will be lighting up the scoreboard like a pinball machine. Are Chiefs fans being setup for a huge disappointment of a season or could this all happen?

McVay is a smart coach, but I don't think he used Sammy to his full potential.

Trading for a big name target and using him as a decoy was an odd decision.

Well when you trade for a deep ball guy and your qb can't throw over 15 yards what else you gonna do.

I’m a chiefs fan so yeah I’m a bit worried, because Chiefs......

We aren’t used to these kind of things

If the Royals can come out of a 29 year drought to win a title then anything is possible.

I think there are two aspects to McVay. He's still very young so things might change but overall he didn't have time to be an established name. Basically growing with his players. However he has 2 very different aspects to judge. He found production out of the team but didn't really use anyone not named Gurley the right way. I think guys like Watkins would only feel frustration towards McVay with very good reason to do so. That being said I don't think McVay's scheme is sustainable as IMO an offense must be tweaked to maximize the production of key players. 

Archived