RE-Visiting the Watkins Signing

It will be fun watching the KC offense going forward. I look forward to it.

I now think this signing was a CYA Move to make sure Mahommes has more than enough weapons to succeed. You traded up to get the guy. You traded Smith and need to be sure it was not seen as a mistake.

A bold expensive move that did not improve KC chances of winning. Its almost overkill as far as weapons go. Lots of good receivers moved to other teams for much less money and fewer years. Having Conley Etc may have been enough. Conley was coming on before the injury. Now 16 mill tied up in one player that was not a position of need. Defense needed that investment more. Way more.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. Rebuild the rest of the D through the draft.

I like the Watkins signing. I wouldn't call it CYA, I'd call it pick your poison. I also think the changes will take this offense to a whole... notha... level.

Agree brother. Think how much putting up 500 yards of offense could help the defense. At least 2 guys are gonna light it up every week. Sometimes Sammy will be one of them. Sometimes he’ll draw the coverage and somebody else will blow up.

Agree brother. Think how much putting up 500 yards of offense could help the defense. At least 2 guys are gonna light it up every week. Sometimes Sammy will be one of them. Sometimes he’ll draw the coverage and somebody else will blow up.

Holy shit it's Gil! How's it going?

No. Rebuild the rest of the D through the draft.

I like the Watkins signing. I wouldn't call it CYA, I'd call it pick your poison. I also think the changes will take this offense to a whole... notha... level.

Agree. This is a young offense overall especially at skill position and we need to build defense that can grow with that group. Lombardi’s to follow.

I think we seriously overpaid and with those guarantees we have to hope that he'll be healthy throughout the contract. I would prefer that money spent on a CB but hopefully Watkins lives up to that deal. It's always important to have a nice receiving core to help the rookie QB. 

hrmmph

if you can grab a good player at a position your already decent at... that makes the entire group more dangerous..

You wanna know why we couldnt do shit, in the playoff game after kelce went down?

He is the damned insurance to make sure.. there are still at least two guys you HAVE to keep track of. 

There are 4 .. Hill, Watkins, Kelce, and a pretty decent running back.. 

but i wanna point something out.. 

the slow WR 3 runs a 4.3  anybody got 3 cbs and or safeties that can go 3 deep at sub 4.4 speeds?

cuz you cant double team everybody, and if you cheat to defend against speed... the other one of these guys will make you look like an ass clown.. as you leave kelce wide open in space. 

Good to see you alive and hopefully well!  If we could just get a shout out from the General, it would be like the olden days

Oh we definitely overpaid. But with a qb on a rookie contract it could be worth it if he puts it all together. Notice his contract expires just as we'll have to actually pay Mahomes on the 5th year option, which will be over 20 mil. I think they had to overpay to not do a longer contract.

I wouldn’t call our WR or TE group all that solid. We had Kelce and Hill as producers. Albert Wilson is the definition of an average WR3 or WR4 and Smith wouldn’t dare throw to Conley since he doesn’t get separation. We don’t know if Conley can be a good #2 or #3, but he can block best of anyone in our group.

The thing I don’t trust necessarily is Watkins health relative to his contract. But we definitely needed another WR, especially with no big pass catching #2 TE brought in.

I agree with some of that goatee however i actually love the wr corp. But agreed, the 2 biggest concerns should be wr health and TE depth. Number 3 concern should be 'will any of them be effective in the slot' but that's a bit overblown. Watkins proved last year he could be effective over the middle so worst case scenario in 3 wr set put conley/robinson on the outside and move watkins over to the middle. As long as Kelce stays healthy we should be fine.

We may have sucked in the red zone last year, but I don't think PM will think twice about throwing darts into the end zone unlike Smith. He is going to take a shot without hesitation into extremely tight windows. He will get picks, but he's going to put points on the board.

If Conley or Robinson can play respectably, they could get some balls with the d trying to pick their poison with Hill, Kelce, Watkins, and Hunt. Poor bastards.

We may have sucked in the red zone last year, but I don't think PM will think twice about throwing darts into the end zone unlike Smith. He is going to take a shot without hesitation into extremely tight windows. He will get picks, but he's going to put points on the board.

If Conley or Robinson can play respectably, they could get some balls with the d trying to pick their poison with Hill, Kelce, Watkins, and Hunt. Poor bastards.

Exactly right. Alex’s conservative you must be open approach led to a lot of missed opportunities in the red zone. We were bad and his numbers there were awful (below 50 percent completions).

If Watkins makes a difference in the redzone then he's worth it.

forget the yardage.

We suck in the redzone.

I don't think he'll make much of a difference. He has a decent reach but with Kelce and Conley on the roster Watkins will probably be the #3 target in the end zone with Hill being #4 or #5. I think Watkins will be yet another deep threat with possession receiver potential as he's good in routes. Some players suck in numbers while actually producing and Watkins/Hill duo will be stretching the field pinning Safeties deep to allow bigger guys move the chains in the middle. 

hmmph its all about quick seperation in the redzone.. watkins has quick seperation, and Mahomes has a release that is as fast or faster than smiths, with more zip..

which means a little bit of seperation . is a LOT of seperation.

This right here. How many playoff games do the Chiefs have to lose because offensive player or players go down and nobody steps up. There was the fluke injuries and "Luck" bounce against the Colts. Last season Chiefs lose Kelce like you said. That's 2 losses right there of the 4 playoff losses. ESPN isn't loading right on my compute right now so I can't look up the other 2 playoff losses. I don't recall injuries that were significant during the game. Losses to the Steelers and Patriots that I can't look up.

You wanna know why we couldnt do shit, in the playoff game after kelce went down?

He is the damned insurance to make sure.. there are still at least two guys you HAVE to keep track of. 

This right here. How many playoff games do the Chiefs have to lose because offensive player or players go down and nobody steps up. There was the fluke injuries and "Luck" bounce against the Colts. Last season Chiefs lose Kelce like you said. That's 2 losses right there of the 4 playoff losses. ESPN isn't loading right on my compute right now so I can't look up the other 2 playoff losses. I don't recall injuries that were significant during the game. Losses to the Steelers and Patriots that I can't look up.

Injuries or not they got shut out the second half. Thats 100% on the Head Coach. He choked.

I agree having more weapons would have helped. That game they blew a huge halftime lead against a not great team.

Injuries or not they got shut out the second half. Thats 100% on the Head Coach. He choked.

I agree having more weapons would have helped. That game they blew a huge halftime lead against a not great team.

lol no it's not. That's a dumb statement. The playcalling was fine. The execution was not. Last time i checked Reid is not on the field. Sure he has a share in the blame but 100%? That's not even realistic.

Agreed. I sit corrected. 80% Reid play calling and conservative mode on both offense and defense. Yes a Watkins may have made a huge difference in that game. Appreciate you pointing out its a dumb statement. Guess I need to attend the XEN School of Football Intelligence. Thats why I hang out here.  ;)

lol no it's not. That's a dumb statement. The playcalling was fine. The execution was not. Last time i checked Reid is not on the field. Sure he has a share in the blame but 100%? That's not even realistic.

Agreed. Time management? That's on Reid. Bad play calls...partially on Reid since Alex Smith did have the ability to check out of plays based on presnap reads. Execution was the issue. That was even an issue on Bob Sutton's defense at times. As much griping as I did about wanting to see him off the Chiefs staff, the execution was poor at times on defense. Can't blame coaches for lack of execution.

Agreed. I sit corrected. 80% Reid play calling and conservative mode on both offense and defense. Yes a Watkins may have made a huge difference in that game. Appreciate you pointing out its a dumb statement. Guess I need to attend the XEN School of Football Intelligence. Thats why I hang out here. ;)

lol now you're getting it!

On a serious note, i disagree with 80% too. Seth did a great breakdown on that game and pointed out where alex continuously missed reads, or just wasn't willing to make the throw. They were there, he just wouldn't pull the trigger. If you have guys open downfield and you keep shooting the checkdown that's on the qb.

He pulled the same shit in the pittsburgh game. Guess that's why he's in Washington now.

Archived