RE-Visiting the Watkins Signing

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Yep, that would have been sick. Tough throw in the end zone but would have been a nail in the coffin for Big Ben.

The downside of that sequence is out interior offensive line got blown up on the next play. We've got to be able to pound the ball up the middle in short yardage situations from time to time. The deep throw out of the end zone looked like it had a better chance than the run play. So I guess credit the pass blocking too?

18 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

The downside of that sequence is out interior offensive line got blown up on the next play. We've got to be back to pound the ball up the middle in short yardage situations from time to time. The deep throw out of the end zone looked like it had a better chance than the run play. So I guess credit the pass blocking too?

In defense of the O-Line, the guy that ended up tackling Hunt was a CB. They knew ( as did the entire world) that we were going to run up the gut on that play. Should have run a play action pass there. I thought the line played great yesterday. Pittsburgh's blitz package is difficult to handle and Mahomes had time all day long.

25 minutes ago, Dan4pres said:

In defense of the O-Line, the guy that ended up tackling Hunt was a CB. They knew ( as did the entire world) that we were going to run up the gut on that play. Should have run a play action pass there. I thought the line played great yesterday. Pittsburgh's blitz package is difficult to handle and Mahomes had time all day long.

I understand your point but it’s pretty obvious your going to run in some situations and I think it’s inportant you can still get a yard or two anyway. 

Pass protection was indeed good and also helped by not being put in obvious passing downs. Andy’s play calling and general offensive plan has been really helpful for the kid as well. 

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

Yes that Conley. Anyone can fumble. They cant may plays on the bench. 

I agree but my point is when a player, coach or GM isn't liked it's easy to point out their flaws.

Everyone has flaws, it just depends on if you like the person or not, if their flaws are focused on or not.

Sutton is a good example, we, myself included get frustrated seeing the D play at times. Yet people tend to forget the Chiefs D, based on points was #15 last year, not great but not the worst either. In 2016 they were 7th. This year they are at 29th but they have also played two of the better offenses the past few years.

I don't like changing horses in mid stream. If you fired Sutton now, then the system, good or bad, will have to be used by the new DC same with the players. Week two and at 2-0 with both wins on the road and against arguably two of the top 10 QBs in the league is no time to upset the apple cart.

JMO and no I'm not telling anyone what to do or how to think.

1 hour ago, Legend of AC said:

This is how I see it also.  We have two 2’s in the draft and will undoubtedly be looking for big time help in the secondary. We should literally go DB, S, DB with our 1, 2, and 2, depending on how the board d goes.  

Armani Watts has great potential.  Tre Smith could even be a very serviceable CB. But yes, we need to use high picks on at least one, maybe 2 safeties.  One thing we can count on, though.  Andy Reid is NEVER going to not draft an offensive linemen high in the draft, ANY draft. He believes in always taking a good offensive linemen, and especially a versatile one who can play either tackle or guard.  Veach will continue to take pass rushers until  he has found a Von Miller type or another Derrick Thomas. Our DB's will suddenly be much better when there are people in the QB's face reliably.  You can't give good receivers 9 seconds to gain separation or let a qood QB stand up calmly surveying the field for 9 seconds.  That is proposterous, even for a great O-line like PIttsburgh.

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Andy Reid is NEVER going to not draft an offensive linemen high in the draft, ANY draft. He believes in always taking a good offensive linemen, and especially a versatile one who can play either tackle or guard.  

He didn't draft an O lineman this year unless you consider McKensie who is a long term conversion project.

12 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Watkins was trying to run people over yesterday. He’s rb playing wr

he looked stouter than I expected  but slower as well.. I thought he was a 4.2 guy. He didn't look like he could out run anybody..certainly not a track guy

29 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

he looked stouter than I expected  but slower as well.. I thought he was a 4.2 guy. He didn't look like he could out run anybody..certainly not a track guy

He's not a 4.2 guy, but he's fast enough to make other teams pay for doubling Hill and has pretty good hands.  With Hill and Watkins going out, who's going to stop Kelce?  Watkins has a big role in the Chiefs high scoring offense.

Just now, jetlord said:

He's not a 4.2 guy, but he's fast enough to make other teams pay for doubling Hill and has pretty good hands.  With Hill and Watkins going out, who's going to stop Kelce?  Watkins has a big role in the Chiefs high scoring offense.

Oh wait, you mean if we cover Kelce you will throw it to Hunt. Ah, the dilemma that this team will force DCs to contemplate. Pick your poison.

15 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Oh wait, you mean if we cover Kelce you will throw it to Hunt. Ah, the dilemma that this team will force DCs to contemplate. Pick your poison.

Yes, there's that and I also recall two pretty important throws to Conley and Robinson.  Too many threats to cover unless they play the Sutton style of rushing three and dropping eight.  How would Hunt or Ware like that?  So far the Chiefs have tied last year's total of seven receivers catching TDs.  Watkins, Harris, and Ware could bring that up to an astounding ten.

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Look again ot, his first deep ball he ran right past the defender. On another pass he was running past his guy and 15 overthrew him. He looked fast to me

10 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Armani Watts has great potential.  Tre Smith could even be a very serviceable CB. But yes, we need to use high picks on at least one, maybe 2 safeties.  One thing we can count on, though.  Andy Reid is NEVER going to not draft an offensive linemen high in the draft, ANY draft. He believes in always taking a good offensive linemen, and especially a versatile one who can play either tackle or guard.  Veach will continue to take pass rushers until  he has found a Von Miller type or another Derrick Thomas. Our DB's will suddenly be much better when there are people in the QB's face reliably.  You can't give good receivers 9 seconds to gain separation or let a qood QB stand up calmly surveying the field for 9 seconds.  That is proposterous, even for a great O-line like PIttsburgh.

He drafted Mitch Morse in the 2nd in 2015,  Parker Ehinger in the 4th of 2016.  No one in 2017.   And Reggie M. in the 6th of 2018.   I wouldn't call that never not going to draft a lineman high.   Actually I would consider that overlooking the line as a whole....big time.     

He may never earn that contract but he's going to be a valuable piece to our offense.  We now have too many weapons to contain.   I expect people to send the kitchen sink at Mahomes hoping to throw him off because there is no way of cover Hill, Watkins, Kelce, Hunt and Conley/Robinson.

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

He drafted Mitch Morse in the 2nd in 2015,  Parker Ehinger in the 4th of 2016.  No one in 2017.   And Reggie M. in the 6th of 2018.   I wouldn't call that never not going to draft a lineman high.   Actually I would consider that overlooking the line as a whole....big time.     

I would add Fisher at 1st overall to that list. Granted all of these were Dorsey's picks but Reid sure had a say in it.

43 minutes ago, Legend of AC said:

Guess who else were Dorsey’s picks?  

Kelce, Morse, LDT, Peters, Jones, Hill, Hunt, Mahomes seem to be the only Dorsey picks that actually worked out. Fisher is around average but way below expectations. So many guys in 5 drafts isn't really a good performance. IMO Dorsey was below average in terms of drafting. 

Most of his success came from very good waiver and FA pickups but a good GM should be getting production from mid round picks to be successful. 

15 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I thought he looked quicker then what I expected, he made guys miss and ran away and was wide open on one of Mahomes only few bad passes.... 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I'd rather be blithe than correct.

Archived