RE-Visiting the Watkins Signing

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I remember about the TN loss were: drops and a magical "forward progress" call. Smh

The QB throwing a touchdown pass to himself was a backbreaker. It gave them hope and was another "Oh shit, here we go again" moment for KC. 

We all seemed to agree that the loss to Pittsburgh sealed Smiths fate in KC and led directly to the Chiefs drafting Mahomes. We had to endure another second half of offensive futility in the playoff loss to the Titans the very next year. Hope that they have surrounded Mahomes with enough weapons to be successful in the playoffs now. If Smith was still here The Watkins signing would have never happened.

We all seemed to agree that the loss to Pittsburgh sealed Smiths fate in KC and led directly to the Chiefs drafting Mahomes. We had to endure another second half of offensive futility in the playoff loss to the Titans the very next year. Hope that they have surrounded Mahomes with enough weapons to be successful in the playoffs now. If Smith was still here The Watkins signing would have never happened.

Smith was a master of "getting to" the playoffs.  A great QB, but that was his limit. KC needs more. I'd rather not get there than get there and lose again.  Been there.  Done that.

The QB throwing a touchdown pass to himself was a backbreaker. It gave them hope and was another "Oh shit, here we go again" moment for KC.

Yup. Luck catches a lucky ball bounce for. TD. Mariota throws a TD pass to himself. Chiefs have the worst luck in the playoffs. That doesn't even count the horrible calls by refs.

Hoping Mahomes ends this theme sooner than later.

Injuries or not they got shut out the second half. Thats 100% on the Head Coach. He choked.

I agree having more weapons would have helped. That game they blew a huge halftime lead against a not great team.

Andy had receivers open.

It was Alex who wouldn’t throw the ball. I will never forgive that bastard for refusing to throw on 3rd and 13. The dumbass ran the ball in a CLEAN POCKET.

God I’m glad he’s gone

I like Alex but he had obvious limitations as some have already expressed. Great QB's are usually defined not by what they do during the regular season but the postseason. Smith's record there is unimpressive. I can't wait until we get the the playoffs again with Mahomes.

Reid, Dorsey, & Alex took us from a laughing stock to contenders pretty damn fast and I will be very grateful for it. That said, I think Smith took us as far as he could and hopefully PM will be the one who gets us over the hump. I hold no ill will towards AS. I will also say I'm not convinced even PM can stop Reid from hitting the brakes with a lead, we will find out soon though.

I think it is going to be very interesting to see how aggressive Mahomes will be coming out of the chute this year. I'm sure Reid will stress to him that the conservative throw is sometimes the best throw but his natural inclination is to let it go. I really don't recall if McNabb was fairly conservative his first few games with Philly but I suspect Reid will try to rein Mahomes in at least a little bit. I really hope that Mahomes will be a good thing for Andy and maybe the offense won't turtle up as much with a lead. Reid has to realize you can be smart with the ball but still be aggressive and put teams away. Maybe some of that was Smith's doing, I don't know. With our defense we should be trying to score every time we touch the ball. Period. 

I think it is going to be very interesting to see how aggressive Mahomes will be coming out of the chute this year. I'm sure Reid will stress to him that the conservative throw is sometimes the best throw but his natural inclination is to let it go. I really don't recall if McNabb was fairly conservative his first few games with Philly but I suspect Reid will try to rein Mahomes in at least a little bit. I really hope that Mahomes will be a good thing for Andy and maybe the offense won't turtle up as much with a lead. Reid has to realize you can be smart with the ball but still be aggressive and put teams away. Maybe some of that was Smith's doing, I don't know. With our defense we should be trying to score every time we touch the ball. Period. 

Absolutely.  I couldn't agree more.

Rewatching Hard Knocks last night I heard Bucs coach Dirk Koetter say something to M Winston that probably applies well here.

“We know you have the ability to win some games for us, but that can’t come at the expense of losing games for us too.”

Being an effective game manager is crucial to Mahomes development. Knowing how to measure good risk vs bad and sometimes just taking what defense gives.

• 1 month later...

On 6/23/2018 at 11:11 AM, Sonder said:

Andy had receivers open.

It was Alex who wouldn’t throw the ball. I will never forgive that bastard for refusing to throw on 3rd and 13. The dumbass ran the ball in a CLEAN POCKET.

God I’m glad he’s gone

Alex Smith was #1 in Yds/Pass Att

He was Tied for 8th in Yds/Pass Cmp

On 6/24/2018 at 12:59 AM, dhitter said:

I like Alex but he had obvious limitations as some have already expressed. Great QB's are usually defined not by what they do during the regular season but the postseason. Smith's record there is unimpressive. I can't wait until we get the the playoffs again with Mahomes.

Yet everyone disses Flacco.....smdh

While praising Stafford.....

On 6/23/2018 at 11:11 AM, Sonder said:

Andy had receivers open.

God I’m glad he’s gone

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921980/printable/alex-smith-matthew-stafford-head-top-deepball-throwers-of-17

31 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

How did he look in the 2nd half against Titans when Kelce went down? We needed another threat to overcome this injury type scenario. Another good receiving TE wouod be huge too in the draft to keep it all going.

Guy would just turtle up and coat us games when he could not lead us when needed in offense. There were games that cost us and it was almost always leaning on the defense to win it until last year. Even then he had offensive lapse in games where we did jack shot for most of the game or when we needed it the most.

7 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Yet everyone disses Flacco.....smdh

While praising Stafford.....

I have never said one bad thing about Flacco. Not my style. I have no right to dis any team that's gotten a SB ring this century.

19 hours ago, kkuenn said:

How did he look in the 2nd half against Titans when Kelce went down? We needed another threat to overcome this injury type scenario. Another good receiving TE wouod be huge too in the draft to keep it all going.

Guy would just turtle up and coat us games when he could not lead us when needed in offense. There were games that cost us and it was almost always leaning on the defense to win it until last year. Even then he had offensive lapse in games where we did jack shot for most of the game or when we needed it the most.

That's Smith's fault for not having another option? What about West, Harris, Wilson?

Gameplan was for Kelce- once he went down, they didn't adjust. Thats on the staff- Reid and Nagy

20 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Tyreek Hill was 7th in the NFL in receiving yardage with a minimum of 37 fewer targets than anyone ahead of him. And anyone that watched the Chiefs Steelers playoff game two years ago vividly remembers Tyreek breaking wide open twice and not getting the ball either time. The MO on Alex is he leaves to many plays on the field and it burns you at critical times. Other than that he’s a very solid second tier QB. I’ve always liked him. But when you only score 6 points combined in the second half of two home playoff games, it’s a big reason they went all in with Mahomes even if it means taking a step back in the short term.  

Archived