RE-Visiting the Watkins Signing

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

It's possible that people may screw with you.  It's an NFL message board.  And when you come here from another team people may give you shit.  If you have zero sense of humor about friendly banter, then you'd probably be happier not coming here. 

I'm not hurt. Just gave it right back.

Been here 15 years- not going anywhere.

41 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

That's Smith's fault for not having another option? What about West, Harris, Wilson?

Gameplan was for Kelce- once he went down, they didn't adjust. Thats on the staff- Reid and Nagy

There’s a great breakdown of every second half play and it was obvious Alex froze up and started making bad decisions trying to protect ball. Especially on the RPOs we run. 

4 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

That's Smith's fault for not having another option? What about West, Harris, Wilson?

Gameplan was for Kelce- once he went down, they didn't adjust. Thats on the staff- Reid and Nagy

Smith missed a wide open Hill. He only threw to those  wide open and when Kelce went down they doubled up on Hill. Smith would not take chances with anyone else unless he had a yard separation. That is not on Reid. Reid called a good game and the break down showed the plays were there but Smith tucked tail and ran. Watch how different it will be with Mahomes now over Smith, he will take a chance in a tight window. We won games not because Smith took it on himself but rather as a team but when we need edd something from him he bailed. We lost because if his conservative nature more times than not.

5 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

I'm not hurt. Just gave it right back.

Been here 15 years- not going anywhere.

Flacco still sucks. 

Don't bother to reply... I know what you're going to say... "blah blah blah superbowl blah blah munching harbaugh's knob... blah blah". 

We know.  Doesn't change the fact that Flacco sucks.

On 8/28/2018 at 2:23 PM, kkuenn said:

Smith missed a wide open Hill. He only threw to those  wide open and when Kelce went down they doubled up on Hill. Smith would not take chances with anyone else unless he had a yard separation. That is not on Reid. Reid called a good game and the break down showed the plays were there but Smith tucked tail and ran. Watch how different it will be with Mahomes now over Smith, he will take a chance in a tight window. We won games not because Smith took it on himself but rather as a team but when we need edd something from him he bailed. We lost because if his conservative nature more times than not.

So which is it???

On 8/28/2018 at 4:27 PM, xen said:

Flacco still sucks. 

Don't bother to reply... I know what you're going to say... "blah blah blah superbowl blah blah munching harbaugh's knob... blah blah". 

Ha ha.....only time the Chiefs get into a Super Bowl is when they buy tickets....

Ha ha ha ha.......

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

So which is it???

He missed him because he ran out of a clean pocket with no pressure. Read what I have been saying. He will not throw unless wide open and he will get skittish and take off if he feels any pressure even when not there. If he had stood in there he would have seen him wide open and threw to him. Hard to do when you go running and not keep eyes down field.

On 8/28/2018 at 3:27 PM, xen said:

Flacco still sucks. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24494088/bill-barnwell-50-most-fascinating-nfl-people-top-storylines-2018-season

Joe Flacco, QB, Ravens

Since 1970, 318 quarterbacks have thrown 500 or more passes in a season. Of those quarterbacks, just three have posted a worse yards per attempt index (Y/A+) than Flacco did last season, when the Super Bowl XLVII MVP averaged 5.8 yards per attempt in a league in which the average pass went for 6.6 yards per throw. Flacco hasn't posted a Y/A+ above the league average of 100 since the 2012 season.

Since winning the Super Bowl in the 2012 season, Flacco has been one of 19 passers to throw 2,000 or more pass attempts. He's a middling 13th in completion percentage, and that's the bright spot. Flacco ranks last in yards per attempt, last in adjusted net yards per attempt, 16th in interception rate, last in touchdown percentage, 18th in passer rating and 15th in Total QBR. If a productive preseason is a sign that Flacco is responding to the challenge of first-round pick Lamar Jackson, that's great. Just one question, though: What has he been waiting for?

On 8/28/2018 at 4:27 PM, xen said:

Flacco still sucks. 

ESPN’s commentator Scott Van Pelt also discussed Flacco’s contract on the Scott Van Pelt Show during his “One Big Thing” segment.

In March of 2016, Flacco was the highest paid player in the NFL. Plenty of quarterbacks have held that title since then, and Van Pelt lists them as Alex Smith, Andrew Luck, Derek Carr, Matthew Stafford, Jimmy Garoppolo, Matt Ryan and, as of yesterday, Aaron Rodgers.

“What he is, and this is a fact not an opinion, is a Super Bowl winner,” Van Pelt said. “His numbers that year on the way to the Super Bowl victory were sick. He had 11 touchdowns and no picks in four playoff games, including at Denver, at New England, and against San Francisco. The end. The rest of the group I just named, they have one Super Bowl win, and two Super Bowl appearances amongst them.”

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

At least we have a past that is within the last 25 years!

Makes no difference when your team has become an irrelevant bottom feeder with the most overpaid QB in football.

Trash talk getting old. How are you going to cope with Jimmy Smiths suspension? 

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

ESPN’s commentator Scott Van Pelt also discussed Flacco’s contract on the Scott Van Pelt Show during his “One Big Thing” segment.

In March of 2016, Flacco was the highest paid player in the NFL. Plenty of quarterbacks have held that title since then, and Van Pelt lists them as Alex Smith, Andrew Luck, Derek Carr, Matthew Stafford, Jimmy Garoppolo, Matt Ryan and, as of yesterday, Aaron Rodgers.

“What he is, and this is a fact not an opinion, is a Super Bowl winner,” Van Pelt said. “His numbers that year on the way to the Super Bowl victory were sick. He had 11 touchdowns and no picks in four playoff games, including at Denver, at New England, and against San Francisco. The end. The rest of the group I just named, they have one Super Bowl win, and two Super Bowl appearances amongst them.”

SVP is from Maryland and a Baltimore homer. 

Joe Flacco will forever be known for having the best, out of nowhere, consecutive playoff and Super Bowl performances of all time.  His performances each year since then prove that it was a fluke and will never happen again.

Congrats.

37 minutes ago, dksww said:

SVP is from Maryland and a Baltimore homer. 

Joe Flacco will forever be known for having the best, out of nowhere, consecutive playoff and Super Bowl performances of all time.  His performances each year since then prove that it was a fluke and will never happen again.

Congrats.

They had to know Flacco was being way overrated by one hot run but still paid him anyway. And that's a big reason they've been largely irrelevant since. I do know its not easy for teams to let a solid veteran QB walk which is why Im so proud of what the Chiefs did here and willing to give them this year without much expectation.

Alex is better than Flacco in my opinion but we still took the harder riskier route and traded him anyway. Selling after a career season got us a third round pick and one of the best emerging corners in football for him. That's called selling high and its what championship organizations do. We finally put the league on notice we are serious about becoming one of those. While the Ravens mismanagement of that key situation really signaled the end of their run as a contender.  

43 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

They had to know Flacco was being way overrated by one hot run but still paid him anyway. And that's a big reason they've been largely irrelevant since. I do know its not easy for teams to let a solid veteran QB walk which is why Im so proud of what the Chiefs did here and willing to give them this year without much expectation.

Alex is better than Flacco in my opinion but we still took the harder riskier route and traded him anyway. Selling after a career season got us a third round pick and one of the best emerging corners in football for him. That's called selling high and its what championship organizations do. We finally put the league on notice we are serious about becoming one of those. While the Ravens mismanagement of that key situation really signaled the end of their run as a contender.  

I can't imagine any team not signing a QB they just won the Super Bowl with. 

Teams will just have to offer these QBs more or all guaranteed money, but ask the QB to take less than market value to stand any chance of putting a capable team around them. 

Hopefully it's a problem the Chiefs will have with Mahomes in 4 years.  They're just going to have to say "Look, do you want to have a chance to win every season or do you want to make 10-15 million more a year and stand no chance of winning?".

7 minutes ago, dksww said:

I can't imagine any team not signing a QB they just won the Super Bowl with. 

Teams will just have to offer these QBs more or all guaranteed money, but ask the QB to take less than market value to stand any chance of putting a capable team around them. 

Hopefully it's a problem the Chiefs will have with Mahomes in 4 years.  They're just going to have to say "Look, do you want to have a chance to win every season or do you want to make 10-15 million more a year and stand no chance of winning?".

Ravens did it with Trent Dilfer, but then for some reason went out and spent big money to sign Elvis Grbac. I've got no doubt the Eagles would have traded Foles if they felt Wentz was ready. I do think QBs are worth big money because they have such a massive impact on the game. But you better have an elite QB when you pay him that much or its going to bury your organization. Recognizing your QB isn't elite and goading another team into paying compensation AND paying him which ties up CAP space is what makes it so smart. But likewise it's not easy to find top half of the league QBs even if they aren't elite which makes it risky. 

QBs that can actually play are hard to come by. The market, agents, and players will give them as much money as they can. I cannot blame the Ravens for paying Flacco after the Super Bowl, given he wasn’t playing as terrible as Dilfer and their offense did. Didn’t they go like 6 straight games with no offensive TD or something horrible with Dilfer?

Alex really needs a great defense and running game to be worth anything. He’d probably have been great for Marty. It will be curious to watch how he does in Washington. If the preseason is any indication, Redskins fans will have a lot of fun watching them stall and kick field goals and score those wonky 15-19 point games we always had a half dozen of because the red zone was the dead zone.

30 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Ravens did it with Trent Dilfer, but then for some reason went out and spent big money to sign Elvis Grbac. I've got no doubt the Eagles would have traded Foles if they felt Wentz was ready. I do think QBs are worth big money because they have such a massive impact on the game. But you better have an elite QB when you pay him that much or its going to bury your organization. Recognizing your QB isn't elite and goading another team into paying compensation AND paying him which ties up CAP space is what makes it so smart. But likewise it's not easy to find top half of the league QBs even if they aren't elite which makes it risky. 

Those QBs will have to do what Tom Brady does and take less money, at least the money that's shown on the books.

Teams could always pull a Pat Bowlen and pay players under the table like he did for Elway and Terrell Davis during their SB runs lol

Archived