Anybody have any information on how Mahomes did in bad weather?  Just looking at the schedule, remembering those critical windy or wet or incredibly cold games that were crucial in the distant past, we are putting a lot of our hopes on Mahomes and his passing game carrying the team, even with a mediocre (at best) defense.  But what will Mahomes and his receivers be like when there are 25 mph gusts, rain, or 5 degree temps.  It seems to me that there are conditions in which QB's who can put balls into tight windows might not do so well, and in which receivers can't count on catching a ball as hard as ice.  We are going to have to win some crucial games in December or maybe even January, in which we are going to have to win some low-scoring defensive battles.  I haven't seen much written about this.  

With his arm strength, I would think bad conditions would favor us against most QBs.

My point was that when conditions take the passing game away from both teams in a  bad weather game, it will be defense that decides it...it would seem.  There are probably things I am not thinking about, though.  Just saying that relying on an unstoppable offense to carry the day might not work so well in December, or in icy or snowy conditions.

Our defense was bad last year, and remember how Alex fell apart in windy conditions against the Giants?  I understand the concern of "what about weather for a team that's going to rely on passing" but I think you're overstating it a bit.

My point was that when conditions take the passing game away from both teams in a bad weather game, it will be defense that decides it...it would seem. There are probably things I am not thinking about, though. Just saying that relying on an unstoppable offense to carry the day might not work so well in December, or in icy or snowy conditions.

I really doubt we have any unstoppable offense under good conditions with such an inexperienced QB. But I do think an ability to be more physical in running game would help most. And again windy conditions most often expose weaker arms. So I think our guy can make a few more plays some others can’t in that regard

We had awful conditions last year at the Giants and Alex and the offense in general were awful. I think increasing depth at RB (and diversity of skill level) helps address some of that as well.

I really doubt we have any unstoppable offense under good conditions with such an inexperienced QB. But I do think an ability to be more physical in running game would help most. And again windy conditions most often expose weaker arms. So I think our guy can make a few more plays some others can’t in that regard

We had awful conditions last year at the Giants and Alex and the offense in general were awful. I think increasing depth at RB (and diversity of skill level) helps address some of that as well.

Thanks. That's a good point. A smash mouth running game behind a very powerful O-line would be an answer for games like that, which WILL happen.  We do have Ware and even Sherman, and to some extent, Kareen Hunt for that kind of game, but the O-line will have spent all season refining its complex tasks in a more diverse and passing oriented offense.  I suspect it would not be ready for a game like that when the time comes. I hope I'm wrong.

Our defense was bad last year, and remember how Alex fell apart in windy conditions against the Giants?  I understand the concern of "what about weather for a team that's going to rely on passing" but I think you're overstating it a bit.

That's because I am a worry wart.  I want to see a world championship before I die. I'm trying to eat right and exercise, though.  :D

That's true.  He did well in the cold.  I was also referring to wind and rain, when the passing game in general becomes a problem for any team and any QB.  In other words, as playoff time comes, we will need to be able to win in ways other than simply outscoring a team by passing.  But yes, he did well in cold temperatures.  But if we are counting on success by being able to thread hard passes into tiny windows, that will not work in 25 mph gusts as the season gets late, and the weather gets nastier. If we make it to a Super Bowl, we will be fine in a nice dome.  

The premise is a little silly and the goalposts are starting to move. First, we are not all of a sudden a team that is relying on a high-powered passing attack. We've still got Hunt, and we do lots of short passes to the RBs or intermediate passes to Kelce. It's not all going to be 25 yard frozen ropes to Hill and Watkins.

Second, there have been plenty of recent big-armed QBs who have done just fine in bad weather cities: Favre and Rodgers in Green Bay, Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh, to a lesser extent E. Manning in NYC and P. Manning in Denver. Even Flacco's success has largely been in weather that wasn't the greatest. While Brady isn't a gunslinger, he also has to deal with bad weather. And so on.

The premise is a little silly and the goalposts are starting to move. First, we are not all of a sudden a team that is relying on a high-powered passing attack. We've still got Hunt, and we do lots of short passes to the RBs or intermediate passes to Kelce. It's not all going to be 25 yard frozen ropes to Hill and Watkins.

Second, there have been plenty of recent big-armed QBs who have done just fine in bad weather cities: Favre and Rodgers in Green Bay, Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh, to a lesser extent E. Manning in NYC and P. Manning in Denver. Even Flacco's success has largely been in weather that wasn't the greatest. While Brady isn't a gunslinger, he also has to deal with bad weather. And so on.

But unlike other teams, we won't get away with a taking a little air out of the footballs.  ;)

That's true. He did well in the cold. I was also referring to wind and rain, when the passing game in general becomes a problem for any team and any QB. In other words, as playoff time comes, we will need to be able to win in ways other than simply outscoring a team by passing. But yes, he did well in cold temperatures. But if we are counting on success by being able to thread hard passes into tiny windows, that will not work in 25 mph gusts as the season gets late, and the weather gets nastier. If we make it to a Super Bowl, we will be fine in a nice dome.

This isn’t the Vermiel era and we’ve already got a lot more talent than that group did. Plus it’s clear this draft and especially the next are going to focus on reworking defense in earnest.

IE: the clear plan here is to build balanced team. Veach just hasn’t had time or resources to do it all yet. I like the fact he targeted younger guys in free agency which are part of long term plan. But this does mean no quick fixes. Adding 1 or 2 1 year band aids are still possible to help this group though.

when its cold and rainy.... and shit is going nasty with the weather...

the answer is quick slants, and the running game.. 

see 2 pretty decent running backs. 

and 1 qb with a quick release and velocity

Archived