Chiefs 2018 Training Camp Thread

Rookies and QBs report on Monday July 22nd.

Veterans report on Wednesday July 25th. First practice is that afternoon at 3:30.

Here is the full TC schedule indicating which days are open to the public: https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/6/15/17469320/2018-chiefs-training-camp-schedule

First game is Thursday August 9th, 22 days away from today. Just crazy we are so close.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have any thoughts and expectations on the 2018 season?

Personally, I'm super excited to see what Mahomes and the re-vamped defense can do. However, for me at least, there's no pressure on the Chiefs to do anything this year.

New QB and re-vamped defense could mean a season of growth, development and struggles.

Plus, the first 6 games are brutal enough to ruin the whole season right out of the gate.

Can't wait to see Mahomes in real action with the 1st team. This will be a fun TC.

yeah, the pre-season games will suck tho b/c Mahomes won't play much and it'll be all Chad Henne or McGloin.

I would like to see if the kid/QB they signed off Marshall can get some decent PT.

yeah, the pre-season games will suck tho b/c Mahomes won't play much and it'll be all Chad Henne or McGloin.

I would like to see if the kid/QB they signed off Marshall can get some decent PT.

.WTF?  Ithink we'll see him as much if not a tad more than AS and we'll see more of the #1s because they need to work together.his ass sitting on the bench does little good n his development..playing time is his friend

.WTF? Ithink we'll see him as much if not a tad more than AS and we'll see more of the #1s because they need to work together.his ass sitting on the bench does little good n his development..playing time is his friend

I could be wrong, but because he's the starter I doubt we see him play more than Alex Smith has in past pre season games.

1-2 series' in game 1.

1st quarter of game 2.

2-3 quarters in game 3.

0 snaps game 4.

I also speculate we won't see much of Eric Berry or Dee Ford in the pre season.

I think they both can play week 1 but we'll just have to see. I haven't seen much info on that yet, but we definitely will once TC starts.

One other thought.

Look at the players returning from injury in 2017:

Eric Berry

Dee Ford

Spencer Ware

Chris Conley

Parker Ehinger

Steven Nelson

Ehinger may not be a huge deal, but he was starting when he got hurt so if healthy, definitely gives the Chiefs a solid back up interior OL.

Nelson missed the first 8 games last year and just never got to full strength by the end of the season.

He was pretty solid in 2016. I think that with Nelson having a full off-season, he'll play better right away. His injury was at least 18 months ago.

I wouldn't be surprised to see McGloin end up as the odd man out. Some praise from Reid is basically a guarantee to get picked up by some other team and Litton already got quite a bit of that.

What’s with all the running backs? 6 backs and 2 fullbacks on the roster already and the Chiefs continue to stockpile. How many will make the team? What does that say about the direction the team is going to have on offense this season? Sounds like they intend to be a run heavy team or a lot of the current backs on the team are more hurt than we know.

What’s with all the running backs? 6 backs and 2 fullbacks on the roster already and the Chiefs continue to stockpile. How many will make the team? What does that say about the direction the team is going to have on offense this season? Sounds like they intend to be a run heavy team or a lot of the current backs on the team are more hurt than we know.

depth and possible trade bait if teams have injuries during camp or pre-season.  By week 1 they'll have 3 RBs and 1 FB.

We do have more data.

1. Really smart kid based on his overall approach and his communication skills

2. Gym Rat Mentality-can not watch enough film

3. Strong Arm & a Strong Mind.  (Seems disciplined so far and we have a good sized sample of time)

4. I have yet to hear anything disparaging about his character.

5. Handled the Smith to Mahomes transition with total class.

w

I could be wrong, but because he's the starter I doubt we see him play more than Alex Smith has in past pre season games.

1-2 series' in game 1.

1st quarter of game 2.

2-3 quarters in game 3.

0 snaps game 4.

This is probably close but if Mahomes is struggling picking up on some concepts I think Andy will continue to send him back out there wheras there was no need with Alex. But also consider you have to have your backup ready to go in this league and with two new guys they are going to need REPS too. Its ironic though. The first team offense we send out there will be younger at the skill positions than the backups.  

I'm concerned that Mahomes is being over hyped.  He may be the next Farve or Starr, but he probably won't be this fall.  It takes experience.  So while TC will be fun to watch as will be regular games, I'm not expecting instant success.

He is?  Have you seen the cock sucking that's being done on Trubisky and Watson, compared to Pat?

I think Watson earned some praise after exceeding the expectations as a rookie. Still need to see if he's the next RG3 or the real deal. Trubisky on the other hand had a below average rookie performance.

Agreed re Watson but doubt it’s maintainable. I can’t possibly be objective here, but I’ll take mahomes every day of the week.

I think Watson earned some praise after exceeding the expectations as a rookie. Still need to see if he's the next RG3 or the real deal. Trubisky on the other hand had a below average rookie performance.

I didn't catch more than the game against the Chiefs and some ESPN highlights, but it looked to me like many of his touchdowns were on passes he just threw up and his guy happened to come down with the balll. Not trying to diminish his accomplishments - he was certainly impressive. But not many QB's succeed long term when their game is largely predicated on tossing up jump balls 30-40 yards down field. The percentage of completions vs ints tends to even out a bit over time.

I'm a homer, but am more than happy with what I think Mahomes can accomplish.

Agreed re Watson but doubt it’s maintainable. I can’t possibly be objective here, but I’ll take mahomes every day of the week.

I didn't catch more than the game against the Chiefs and some ESPN highlights, but it looked to me like many of his touchdowns were on passes he just threw up and his guy happened to come down with the balll. Not trying to diminish his accomplishments - he was certainly impressive. But not many QB's succeed long term when their game is largely predicated on tossing up jump balls 30-40 yards down field. The percentage of completions vs ints tends to even out a bit over time.

I'm a homer, but am more than happy with what I think Mahomes can accomplish.

Mahomes has a higher ceiling than either guy IMO. Natural arm talent with great personality (as far as we've seen). Mentally he might be the best of the bunch, which is generally the most important factor for a QB. 

Bashaud Breeland visiting Choakland Sunday and Monday.  Headed to KC to visit the Chiefs on Tuesday.  This would be a great signing if the Chiefs' can get him.  I would have way more confidence with this team going into the season with the #2 CB locked in:

Rob DemovskyVerified account @RobDemovsky 2h2 hours ago

Cornerback Bashaud Breeland is visiting the Raiders on Sunday and Monday then headed to the Chiefs on Tuesday, a source said. He’s the one who signed a three-year, $24 million deal with the Panthers that was voided after he failed a physical. He’s healthy and ready to go.

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1020762279393079299

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1020762279393079299