Chiefs 2018 Training Camp Thread

Its absolutely true that Reid wants Mahomes to let it fly and find out what he can get away with.  Mahomes is smart.  He will make good decisions in real games.  He also is good at following Reid's suggestions.  I've never seen Reid "giddy" about anything, but people say he is "giddy" about Mahomes.  He will definitely throw more interceptions than AS, because he is not exessively cautious like Alex. But that is exactly why he was drafted.  He will make plays that Alex would never have tried.  Some of them will be dumbfounding. Reid is ecstatic about Mahomes.  That should speak for itself.

Meh. Fans will freak out. It's bound to happen. The smart fans will have patience.

Yup. We’ve got our guy for the first time in decades and this time around a proven coach who knows what to do with him. This is the best formula for winning Lombardi’s. Whether we have to endure Peyton Manning or Brett Favre type of INT issues or not. Again it’s the smart fans that know there’s a process to this and everybody is different in terms of the learning curve.

That said we’ve got elite weapons and a proven coach that will let likely streamline this process and make us formidable earlier rather than later.

Reid is ecstatic about Mahomes.  That should speak for itself.

^^ this ^^

Count me as one of those folks who don’t understand why people are concerned about fans turning on mahomes. Even if he stinks (I don’t see it), I’d be shocked if fans go after him and lament trading smith — and doubly shocked if it affected him. Just listen to this kid talk at a press conference; he knows exactly what he’s doing.

No matter how many picks he throws in August his talent is unmistakeable, special.

With all this said, I think it's safer and smarter for this year year at least, to focus on running the ball to set up the play fake.

Reason being with Hunt and Ware we should be able to wear teams out and then hit them over the top or middle.

Since it's Mahomes' first season starting, it'll be tough on him if we have to throw 40-45 times a game for whatever reason.

With all this said, I think it's safer and smarter for this year year at least, to focus on running the ball to set up the play fake.

Reason being with Hunt and Ware we should be able to wear teams out and then hit them over the top or middle.

Since it's Mahomes' first season starting, it'll be tough on him if we have to throw 40-45 times a game for whatever reason.

Analytics my friend, it's time to abandon the 'we need to run the ball just because' and now move to the philosophy of if you are going to put an extra defender in the box, we will throw it all game long, if you play the pass we'll bash you inside with Hunt.  Our base package is so dynamic on offense that we can do anything we want in any type of situation without having to sub in packages.

Analytics my friend, it's time to abandon the 'we need to run the ball just because' and now move to the philosophy of if you are going to put an extra defender in the box, we will throw it all game long, if you play the pass we'll bash you inside with Hunt.  Our base package is so dynamic on offense that we can do anything we want in any type of situation without having to sub in packages.

I doubt we see teams stacking the box against the Chiefs anymore.  There's just too many outside weapons and that will open up huge running lanes.

Analytics my friend, it's time to abandon the 'we need to run the ball just because' and now move to the philosophy of if you are going to put an extra defender in the box, we will throw it all game long, if you play the pass we'll bash you inside with Hunt. Our base package is so dynamic on offense that we can do anything we want in any type of situation without having to sub in packages.

Agreed. Teams are going to have a difficult time stopping us.

I like your ball control approach. Keep our defense off the field and let them play with a lead late in the game.

Ball control would help the defense. 

I like your ball control approach. Keep our defense off the field and let them play with a lead late in the game.

Yeah, that worked well against the Titans.   :D

What I'm hoping is that the offense is dynamic and varied enough that they won't shut down because one key player goes down (Kelce).  But the defense still has to stop the other team and maybe after the latest draft and FA signings, they can find some run stoppers this season.

Yeah, that worked well against the Titans.   :D

What I'm hoping is that the offense is dynamic and varied enough that they won't shut down because one key player goes down (Kelce).  But the defense still has to stop the other team and maybe after the latest draft and FA signings, they can find some run stoppers this season.

Yeah, I don't feel like ball control should be our big theme this year.  The offense is so dynamic, we should use it.  The thing that will help our defense the most will be to get a two score lead and maintain it, forcing opponents to pass.  That will allow Sutton to scheme against a more one-dimensional offense and greatly help our pass rush.  As always, though, injuries will change the equations throughout the season.

Except for the 2-3 games where Andy loses his damn brain. It happens every year. He’s the only one who can stop the offense

That's why it should be simplified to analytics.  Screw all the people who will complain if we throw the ball 60 times a game, if the defense wants us to throw then we should throw.  We might even see the flipside where teams will protect against the pass and Hunt/Ware get 30-40 carries in the game.   People will say 'Andy gets to pass happy', well why the F not if that is what the defense is giving us. 

It is time to step on teams throats, that is what Brady does in NE and we need to get that killer attitude as well.  That helps the defense more then ball control, playing with a lead and knowing your offense can score points lets the defense play free and loose and with an attack mindset.

The other side of that is enticing teams into stacking the box by committing to the run. I think there's a reason we signed 2 RBs into the potential rotation in the offseason. And our OC is a former running back. Having a physicallity to our play can only help take pressure off Pat. The last situation you want a very young QB in is trying to convert 3rd and longs all day. We need to set the terms.

That's why it should be simplified to analytics. Screw all the people who will complain if we throw the ball 60 times a game, if the defense wants us to throw then we should throw. We might even see the flipside where teams will protect against the pass and Hunt/Ware get 30-40 carries in the game. People will say 'Andy gets to pass happy', well why the F not if that is what the defense is giving us.

It is time to step on teams throats, that is what Brady does in NE and we need to get that killer attitude as well. That helps the defense more then ball control, playing with a lead and knowing your offense can score points lets the defense play free and loose and with an attack mindset.

Whoa there big dreamer...we still have Andy Reid, which means stepping on the other teams throat will be made much more difficult than it should be.

Whoa there big dreamer...we still have Andy Reid, which means stepping on the other teams throat will be made much more difficult than it should be.

Truth. But the guy with the ball in his hand every play is a go for the kill type. So hopefully it balances out Reids penchant for going full turtle when we have a solid lead in the early 3rd quarter.

The criticism with Reid is that he throws to much, I think that plays into what we want to see more and will help with this mentality.  We didn't want to see Alex throwing more but there's no doubt we want to see Mahomes with the ball in his hand as much as possible, especially when he's got the weapons around him to get it to.

The criticism with Reid is that he throws to much, I think that plays into what we want to see more and will help with this mentality. We didn't want to see Alex throwing more but there's no doubt we want to see Mahomes with the ball in his hand as much as possible, especially when he's got the weapons around him to get it to.

Hunt is a star running back. I want to see both guys with the ball at key moments.

Hunt is a star running back. I want to see both guys with the ball at key moments.

I agree but also that goes back to my thing about going after what the defense shows you.  The box is stacked, let Mahomes air it out as much as possible, they are in nickel/dime and protecting the air, let Hunt gash them and try to see their DB's at the second level try to bring him down.....

The criticism with Reid is that he throws to much, I think that plays into what we want to see more and will help with this mentality.  We didn't want to see Alex throwing more but there's no doubt we want to see Mahomes with the ball in his hand as much as possible, especially when he's got the weapons around him to get it to.

We didn't lose these last two games because of play calling. We lost because the QB made bad decisions at crucial times. The Steelers game who can forget Tyreek streaking wide open and going completely unnoticed. This happened twice actually. Last year Alex was in the RPO and made bad decisions and/or panicked with ghost pressure into leaving pocket early. Find a QB thats looking to make plays and we probably win both games. Plain and simple. 

Truth. But the guy with the ball in his hand every play is a go for the kill type. So hopefully it balances out Reids penchant for going full turtle when we have a solid lead in the early 3rd quarter.

Well, with Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Watkins, and Hunt, I think it reduces the likelihood of a Reid full turtle. But undoubtedly Reid will still have his moments of overthinking bliss.

I read in interviews today out of training camp that Bob Sutton is having the defense focus on 2 main areas of improvement this year...3rd down defense and run defense.

WIth having Berry back and getting rid of Logan, Johnson, Hali, Gaines, Parker and Peters...adding Hitchens, Williams, a fully healthy Houston and Ford, developing KPass, adding Fuller and drafting basically all defense this year...if the Chiefs aren't substantially improved in those areas, then Sutton needs to pack his bags and get out of Dodge.