Chiefs 2018 Training Camp Thread

I read in interviews today out of training camp that Bob Sutton is having the defense focus on 2 main areas of improvement this year...3rd down defense and run defense.

WIth having Berry back and getting rid of Logan, Johnson, Hali, Gaines, Parker and Peters...adding Hitchens, Williams, a fully healthy Houston and Ford, developing KPass, adding Fuller and drafting basically all defense this year...if the Chiefs aren't substantially improved in those areas, then Sutton needs to pack his bags and get out of Dodge.

And Kansas City, too.

If KPass starts to make a real move forward, we could really have something!

nPDc6cmD_normal.jpeg

And for @Passinyo, who is now a 3-4 OLB after playing DL in college, this play is an impressive display of athleticism for the 6-foot-7, 289-pounder.

He also dropped in coverage and picked one off yesterday.

Been a standout at camp so far.

21 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

If KPass starts to make a real move forward, we could really have something!

nPDc6cmD_normal.jpeg

And for @Passinyo, who is now a 3-4 OLB after playing DL in college, this play is an impressive display of athleticism for the 6-foot-7, 289-pounder.

He also dropped in coverage and picked one off yesterday.

Been a standout at camp so far.

Saw this also.  Houston, Ford, Speaks, KPass, Jones should be able to generate some pressure.  This defense might surprise us.  

....a Chiefs Defense that is top 10 will result in a team to be reckoned with in the playoffs.

...a Chiefs defense like last year or during the Trent Green, Priest and Tony G era will compel Mahomes and the Offense to be huge risk takers.

I kinda like scenario # two to start the season.  I want to see Andy take the restraints off Patrick and the offense and  see if they can score 40pts a game.

Long term, that might be better for Mahomes

w

46 minutes ago, West said:

....a Chiefs Defense that is top 10 will result in a team to be reckoned with in the playoffs.

...a Chiefs defense like last year or during the Trent Green, Priest and Tony G era will compel Mahomes and the Offense to be huge risk takers.

I kinda like scenario # two to start the season.  I want to see Andy take the restraints off Patrick and the offense and  see if they can score 40pts a game.

w

Much better if Mahomes puts up good ball possession offense rather than being a rookie gunslinger at the start.  Best teacher and confidence builder is winning, not risky bombs.  I'm sure Reid will open up the playbook and we'll see more deep throws along with more interceptions, but also think expectations are just a little high for the start of this season.

KISSEL KCCHIEFS.com  Monday camp.

Throughout training camp, Chiefs Reporter B.J. Kissel will share his top observations from each practice.

Here are five things that stood out Monday morning:

1. It was a lighter day of practice

After getting after it in pads for the last two days, the Chiefs were given a lighter practice Monday morning. They were in shorts and the practice began an hour later (9:15 a.m.) than it had the previous two days.

The players have the day off on Tuesday and will be back at it Wednesday morning.

Here’s a link to the full camp schedule.

2. Kareem Hunt took some team reps

Over the last week, the NFL’s reigning rushing champion—Kareem Hunt—has been limited at practice because of a hamstring injury suffered in the offseason, which also cost him some days of practice during minicamp back in June.

TC_5_020
Matt Starkey

But following the two days of pads, Hunt was back on the field Monday morning and took some reps during the 11-on-11 periods. He had only participated in the individual portions of practice the last few days.

On multiple carries during these practice periods, Hunt was able to cut up field on an outside run and accelerate through the first level of the defense. It was a good sign for him as he continues to work his way back.

3. Cam Erving is moving all over the place

After taking some reps with the first-team offense at center to open up training camp, Erving has been on the move as he works his way into multiple spots.

Over the last few days Erving has also taken reps at left guard, right tackle and left tackle.

Normally, the Chiefs have had seven offensive linemen active on game days during the regular season, so there always have to be a few guys who can play multiple positions.

We’ve seen it in the past with guys like Zach Fulton and Jeff Allen.

4. A couple of starting cornerbacks snagged interceptions

With the guys being in shorts and there not being a whole lot of contact, the takeaways from what was taking place on the field should be understated a bit.

But there were still a few plays that got the crowd going and should be mentioned.

• Patrick Mahomes hit Tyreek Hill on another deep throw for a touchdown during the team period. It’s become a regular occurrence and not anything that surprises anyone at this point. It’s part of Mahomes’ game and Hill has the speed to make it something that stands out every time it happens.
TC_5_030
Matt Starkey
  • Two of the starting cornerbacks—Kendall Fuller and Steve Nelson—walked away from Monday’s practice with interceptions. Fuller has had some fantastic 1-on-1 reps against Sammy Watkins the last few days, and it was Nelson’s team-leading third interception of camp thus far.

5. The injury update

Second-year linebacker Ukeme Eligwe didn’t practice on Monday because of a foot strain, joining cornerback Ashton Lampkin (knee), linebacker Reggie Ragland (knee), cornerback Keith Reaser (quad strain) and tailback Charcandrick West (concussion) as the players that didn’t take the field.

Additionally, running back Kareem Hunt, who has been limited in practice with a hamstring injury, was seen participating in team activities. Following practice, Chiefs’ coach Andy Reid indicated that the second-year running back was “making progress.”

• This topic was featured and pinned
17 hours ago, West said:

w

Last years defense was bad but also was able to hold 5 of our last 6 opponents leading up to the division title clincher to 16 points or less. Once Bob Sutton figures out what he has, he knows how to finesse a decent scoring defense that keeps his teams out of constant scorefests.  Minus key injuries I’d expect similar with more playmaking ability again. And personally I think just the opposite that Andy wants to keep his young QB in as many manageable pass situations as possible  

Those Vermiel defenses were poorly coached and largely talentless in my opinion. 

8 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Last years defense was bad but also was able to hold 5 of our last 6 opponents leading up to the division title clincher to 16 points or less. Once Bob Sutton figures out what he has, he knows how to finesse a decent scoring defense that keeps his teams out of constant scorefests.  Minus key injuries I’d expect similar with more playmaking ability again. And personally I think just the opposite that Andy wants to keep his young QB is as many manageable pass situations as possible  

Those Vermiel defenses were poorly coached and largely talentless in my opinion. 

I expect a similar defense in the division as none of the offenses improved considerably. Broncos will likely be better with a fix at QB but the sample size is too small so we cannot be sure. Also the staff seem to be very good at analyzing the AFC West.

The problem has been offensive meltdowns in the playoffs against non-division opponents and hopefully that changes with Mahomes. Last year defense basically caught up to the offense in that regard but the group was so thin. 

8 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Last years defense was bad but also was able to hold 5 of our last 6 opponents leading up to the division title clincher to 16 points or less. Once Bob Sutton figures out what he has, he knows how to finesse a decent scoring defense that keeps his teams out of constant scorefests.  Minus key injuries I’d expect similar with more playmaking ability again. And personally I think just the opposite that Andy wants to keep his young QB is as many manageable pass situations as possible  

Greg Robinson was an asshole.

Our defense could not hold a lead last  year and it killed us in the playoffs.

I would like to think no defense can hold Patrick Mahomes and this offense scoreless for a full 1/2 of football. 

I want to see him show the brilliance of his game in the 4th quarter under the pressure to win.  Sooner is better as young QB's need tests to keep going up the learning curve.

w

1 hour ago, Sonder said:

I am really worried about Reggie Ragland. I think something is wrong with his knee. 

Might need a scope.

Yes that is concerning.  But we knew he was an elevated injury risk when we traded for him.  Of course maybe they're just being careful like they said.

28 minutes ago, xen said:

Yes that is concerning.  But we knew he was an elevated injury risk when we traded for him.  Of course maybe they're just being careful like they said.

I'm a little concerned, too, but not greatly at this point.  Nearly anyone who has had a joint injured will have it swell up a bit on long plane flights, because of the drop in pressure in the cabin.  That can go on for up to 2 years.  But Ragland played last year on a swollen knee, and it didn't affect his play or bother him.  I think the staff is just  being careful.  If the doctors were really concerned, he would have been scoped by now.  He played so well that last 6 games of last year, that Reid probably is not too worried about him missing a bunch of camp.  He knows what to do and doesn't have to think much about it. It's pretty automatic.

3 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I'm a little concerned, too, but not greatly at this point.  Nearly anyone who has had a joint injured will have it swell up a bit on long plane flights, because of the drop in pressure in the cabin.  That can go on for up to 2 years.  But Ragland played last year on a swollen knee, and it didn't affect his play or bother him.  I think the staff is just  being careful.  If the doctors were really concerned, he would have been scoped by now.  He played so well that last 6 games of last year, that Reid probably is not too worried about him missing a bunch of camp.  He knows what to do and doesn't have to think much about it. It's pretty automatic.

Disagree.  Ragland needs this training camp if he wants to improve on last year.  He's good but still a work in progress.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Disagree.  Ragland needs this training camp if he wants to improve on last year.  He's good but still a work in progress.

Yeah, of course. He's young and needs to work on some coverage skills. They all do.  That's always true.  But he is already very instinctive against the run. Having a full training camp would be desirable, but not as desirable as having him healthy for the season.

4 hours ago, West said:

Our defense could not hold a lead last  year and it killed us in the playoffs.

I would like to think no defense can hold Patrick Mahomes and this offense scoreless for a full 1/2 of football. 

I want to see him show the brilliance of his game in the 4th quarter under the pressure to win.  Sooner is better as young QB's need tests to keep going up the learning curve.

w

We scored a grand total of 6 points in our last two playoff games in the second half. I don't think that happens to a Mahomes offense. Maybe may lose a few especially early because of mistakes, but its not going to be because we left plays on the field. That's a dagger of a way to go out in a survive and advance format. Playing not to lose or trying to avoid mistakes at all costs is not the way to win in January.

57 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

So ints are in his personality?  

He's a gunslinger if that is what you mean.  His comparison's are to guys like Favre who are known to throw a higher amount of INT's then what you would like so I don't think this is very shocking.  He's not going to be perfect and we should expect some INT's and bad plays, just need to make sure the good plays heavily outweigh it.

Teicher's article was garbage, and we need to stop hearing about how few interceptions Smith threw.  Because you know what?  Some of Smith's interceptions came at some of the WORST possible times.  In 2016 he threw two goal line interceptions that pretty much directly cost us regular season games (against Tampa Bay and Tennessee).  In addition to all his limitations, if you make your money on ball control you have to maintain it when it counts.

1 hour ago, CHiefSP said:

So ints are in his personality?  

They are in the DNA of all 22 year old QBs. Plus consider Andy is going to pull the reigns off a guy who can make big plays that our last QB could not. We are going from the definition of conservative QB to the polar opposite on the spectrum. It's really not the difficult to understand. The days of losing playoff games because our QB ran scared the entire second half is over. But in the short term we are likely going to have to make regular season sacrifices to get there. Sure worked out well for the Colts and Packers. I think we've got that caliber of talent. Im gonna enjoy the ride, training camp INTs and all.