Chiefs 2018 Training Camp Thread

1 hour ago, Adamixoye said:

What we saw on the field in the Denver game, even with some starters sitting on both sides, still carries 100x as much weight as anything happening in camp right now.

This.

8 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

Did we hear this about other recent young QBs such as Carson Wentz or Deshaun Watson?  No, so it isn’t solely attributable to him being a young QB.  I guess we’ll find out.

Probably not unless you live in that area or follow them constantly. I have yet to see a single report on any national network about any QB's interception to completion rate during training camp. Does anyone outside of a local market even care?

What about DBs pass def percentage or average yards per carry or receptions. Sorry but there is a reason people dont keep stats in camp. THEY DON'T MATTER!!!?

9 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Probably not unless you live in that area or follow them constantly. I have yet to see a single report on any national network about any QB's interception to completion rate during training camp. Does anyone outside of a local market even care?

What about DBs pass def percentage or average yards per carry or receptions. Sorry but there is a reason people dont keep stats in camp. THEY DON'T MATTER!!!?

Yeah, CHiefSP is living in some alternate universe where the details of the training camps of all teams are widely publicized at the national level.  Other than major holdouts or the stories from Hard Knocks (which I don't watch), I don't remember a single thing about any other team's camp, ever, from any season, full stop.

I get that people associate "being a gunslinger" with throwing a lot of picks, but Mahomes never threw a lot of interceptions in college, so I'm not sure why the media or fans are so concerned he's an interception machine.

Look at his numbers his whole career at TT:  1.349 PA 93 TD 29 INT.  He had a 3:1 TD to INT.  2% of his pass attempts were interceptions. 

This includes his freshman year in which he only started 7 games, yet he had a 16:4 TD/INT ratio.

Keep in mind, Mahomes was the only TT player drafted between 2016 and 2017.  I'm not sure about 2015, but my guess is that TT team also went without anyone getting drafted.

8 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Yeah, CHiefSP is living in some alternate universe where the details of the training camps of all teams are widely publicized at the national level.  Other than major holdouts or the stories from Hard Knocks (which I don't watch), I don't remember a single thing about any other team's camp, ever, from any season, full stop.

I saw the PFF article, but IMO, that was written and piggy backed of Teicher's ESPN article.  This is common for websites that use Twitter to feed traffic to their site.

This is not National news.

Living in Colorado I follow alot of the Denver media as well and I have yet to see any information about Case Keenum throwing interceptions.  KC media has a long running reputation for being overly negative and applying an "East Coast panic button" style of reporting to get your attention.  Denver media is way over confident and over sells everything.  Here is a tweet I made in regards to all of this a few days ago:

https://twitter.com/ShaneWilmes/status/1023609322012459008

1 hour ago, CHiefSP said:

Devils advocate that maybe Mahomes isn’t going to be the superstar he’s being anointed as.  But I guess that’s even silly to suggest because Mahomes is the next Aaron Rodgers.

Wait a minute. Your suggesting based on a week of training camp as the starter  that we are supposed to be changing opinions on Mahomes potential? That’s just batshit crazy dude.  Get back to me in a few years. 

47 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

No, we shouldn’t think that.  I just prefer to try to look at things objectively.  Yes, from everything we’ve heard he’s the real deal, but the fact that he’s throwing 2 ints per day is somewhat concerning.  I understand that it’s training camp, but at what point should we expect improvement?  Did we hear this about other recent young QBs such as Carson Wentz or Deshaun Watson?  No, so it isn’t solely attributable to him being a young QB.  I guess we’ll find out.

Going off of what someone does in training camp isn’t looking at it objectively, sorry

52 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

Did we hear this about other recent young QBs such as Carson Wentz or Deshaun Watson?  No, so it isn’t solely attributable to him being a young QB.  I guess we’ll find out.

First off certainly we can agree that every QB is different and develops at a different pace. Would you have been throwing in the towel or demoting Manning or Favre after horrific first full seasons as a starter. Because it would have been incredibly short sighted to do so. It’s rare to get a QB with elite skills those guys had and Mahomes has. This doesn’t mean you start off a HOFer or even good or sometimes even mediocre  

By the way Carson Wentz had 16 TDs, 14 INTs his rookie season.  What type of reaction  would you have if Mahomes has those numbers?

3 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

Going off of what someone does in training camp isn’t looking at it objectively, sorry

Mahomes throwing 2 picks every day in training camp is news, sorry.  At the very least, it’s reportable, from the perspective of a guy like Teicher.  He’s the first QB we’ve drafted in the 1st round since 1983; why wouldn’t he be under the microscope?  

Make no mistake, I’m as excited about the POTENTIAL of Mahomes as anyone.  But to dismiss training camp tendencies as nothing is ridiculous.  But, it matters not.  I’m on a board that refuses to acknowledge that Mahomes could be anything other than the next Brett Favre.  Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in football, regardless of talent or coach speak.  

13 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

First off certainly we can agree that every QB is different and develops at a different pace. Would you have been throwing in the towel or demoting Manning or Favre after horrific first full seasons as a starter. Because it would have been incredibly short sighted to do so. It’s rare to get a QB with elite skills those guys had and Mahomes has. This doesn’t mean you start off a HOFer or even good or sometimes even mediocre  

By the way Carson Wentz had 16 TDs, 14 INTs his rookie season.  What type of reaction  would you have if Mahomes has those numbers?

Fair point.  Honestly, if Mahomes only throws 16 TDs I’ll be surprised given our offensive pieces.  

1 hour ago, CHiefSP said:

No, we shouldn’t think that.  I just prefer to try to look at things objectively.  Yes, from everything we’ve heard he’s the real deal, but the fact that he’s throwing 2 ints per day is somewhat concerning.  I understand that it’s training camp, but at what point should we expect improvement?  Did we hear this about other recent young QBs such as Carson Wentz or Deshaun Watson?  No, so it isn’t solely attributable to him being a young QB.  I guess we’ll find out.

Is this serious? You do know that DeShaun Watson had 8 interceptions in 7 games last year right? 

25 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

Mahomes throwing 2 picks every day in training camp is news, sorry.  At the very least, it’s reportable, from the perspective of a guy like Teicher.  He’s the first QB we’ve drafted in the 1st round since 1983; why wouldn’t he be under the microscope?  

Make no mistake, I’m as excited about the POTENTIAL of Mahomes as anyone.  But to dismiss training camp tendencies as nothing is ridiculous.  But, it matters not.  I’m on a board that refuses to acknowledge that Mahomes could be anything other than the next Brett Favre.  Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in football, regardless of talent or coach speak.  

just breathe, if Mahomes was throwing 4 TDs and 0 int's everyday we'd be reading articles on how it's just meaningless training camp and we can't read into it until the regular season starts.

Remember how good Alex Smith looked in training camp each season?  Exactly.

Let's all also try to remember that there's really no pressure on the Chiefs or Mahomes to do anything this year.

Sure, we'd all love to see him explode on the scene and be an instant success.  But, if that doesn't happen this year right away, it's ok it doesn't have to. 

Personally, I think if the Chiefs can't get going this year it will still be because the defense loses more games than Mahomes screwing up on offense. 

8 hours ago, CHiefSP said:

Maybe you should look at the posters responses objectively.   Where has anyone said that Mahomes could be anything other than the next Favre.  It’s YOU, not us going to the extremes, just because I’m not panicking over training camp INT’s doesn’t automatically assume that I think he’s already a HOFer in my mind.  We are not here also salivating over all the positive things he’s doing and saying ‘look at that deep ball, he went 19-20, he’s going to be the next Brady/Rodgers/Manning all in one’.  You are the one who has to go to these extremes when trying to make your point.  You know why Teicher is talking about it, because it’s training camp and he has to write about something because nothing is going on that has any substance to what the regular season will tell us.  

8 hours ago, Sonder said:

Is this serious? You do know that DeShaun Watson had 8 interceptions in 7 games last year right? 

Save this, it’s a lock a few games in chiefsp will throw out the ‘we should have drafted Watson’ line, you know just to be objective ?

15 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

Maybe you should look at the posters responses objectively.   Where has anyone said that Mahomes could be anything other than the next Favre.  It’s YOU, not us going to the extremes, just because I’m not panicking over training camp INT’s doesn’t automatically assume that I think he’s already a HOFer in my mind.  We are not here also salivating over all the positive things he’s doing and saying ‘look at that deep ball, he went 19-20, he’s going to be the next Brady/Rodgers/Manning all in one’.  You are the one who has to go to these extremes when trying to make your point.  You know why Teicher is talking about it, because it’s training camp and he has to write about something because nothing is going on that has any substance to what the regular season will tell us.  

So he shouldn’t talk about it?  Lol

27 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

So he shouldn’t talk about it?  Lol

Again, putting words in my mouth.  Did I say he shouldn't talk about?  That's your issue, maybe directly address what posters say instead of making your own assumptions.  Also here it Teicher today about it, it's almost like what we've been saying...

This is what happens with young QBs. Chiefs aren't panicking and they shouldn't. But it's something they'll have to live with for some time.

I still don't get the context of that Tweet from Teicher.

Live with for some time???  What, the 4 more weeks of pre-season?

I'll say it again, in his 3 years at TT, with maybe 3-4 NFL players around him the whole time, Mahomes threw 29 Interceptions in 1350 pass attempts.

It's a 2% interception rate.  He threw 93 Touchdowns in his collegiate career.

You live with a pick here and there because he'll throw 3 times more touchdowns.

30 minutes ago, dksww said:

I still don't get the context of that Tweet from Teicher.

Live with for some time???  What, the 4 more weeks of pre-season?

I'll say it again, in his 3 years at TT, with maybe 3-4 NFL players around him the whole time, Mahomes threw 29 Interceptions in 1350 pass attempts.

It's a 2% interception rate.  He threw 93 Touchdowns in his collegiate career.

You live with a pick here and there because he'll throw 3 times more touchdowns.

Cmon, it’s a completely different game.  He played in an offense where his WRs had 3 yds of separation between the defender.  In the NFL, he might see 1 yd.  Also, I don’t get the whole “oh, he’s a young QB so we expect him to throw interceptions” thing.  Plenty of guys have bucked that trend, why can’t Mahomes?