Chiefs 2018 Training Camp Thread

42 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

Cmon, it’s a completely different game.  He played in an offense where his WRs had 3 yds of separation between the defender.  In the NFL, he might see 1 yd.  Also, I don’t get the whole “oh, he’s a young QB so we expect him to throw interceptions” thing.  Plenty of guys have bucked that trend, why can’t Mahomes?

No he didn't, he played at Texas Tech who was God awful while he was there, that was my whole point.  He wasn't lining up with 3 NFL WRs each game.  Tech has only had 3-4 players drafted, including Mahomes, since 2015.  

I'm not sure what you said here, either, you're asking how could he throw interceptions with WRs getting 3 yards of seperation, yet you're saying you don't get the whole "oh, he's a young QB so we expect him to throw interceptions...???

He can buck that trend because *whispers* He never was the type of QB to throw alot of interceptions to begin with.

10 minutes ago, dksww said:

No he didn't, he played at Texas Tech who was God awful while he was there, that was my whole point.  He wasn't lining up with 3 NFL WRs each game.  Tech has only had 3-4 players drafted, including Mahomes, since 2015.  

I'm not sure what you said here, either, you're asking how could he throw interceptions with WRs getting 3 yards of seperation, yet you're saying you don't get the whole "oh, he's a young QB so we expect him to throw interceptions...???

He can buck that trend because *whispers* He never was the type of QB to throw alot of interceptions to begin with.

Lol I just mean to say that others have suggested that throwing interceptions for a young QB is simply part of the process, to which I’d argue that it is not, necessarily.  

2 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

Lol I just mean to say that others have suggested that throwing interceptions for a young QB is simply part of the process, to which I’d argue that it is not, necessarily.  

While true, the flip side is that throwing a lot of interceptions in years 1-2 is something that has been done by many great, HOF-caliber QBs.  In fact, in a weird way it's like a pitcher in baseball with a lot of losses in a season - you have to be at least a little good in order continue to play and rack up the volume.

19 minutes ago, dksww said:

In reference to Ryan Tannehill having 5 interceptions in camp so far:

MAPLE RICKKKKKK  ? ?Retweeted Armando Salguero

Aaron Rodgers has 7 interceptions in 4 practices. Can we please not make this a thing like it matters?

What!!! I don't know if Rodgers will make the HOF now - Overreaction Fan

32 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

Cody TappVerified account @codybtapp

Reid on the Mahomes INTs "I want him to test the offense. If you don't have the intestinal fortitude you'll end up being one of those QBs that checks it down all the time"

whoa

I can't believe he said that.

Please for the love of God I hope Pederson and Reid had a mob style sit down this off-season with Pederson chewing Reid's ass on playing close to the vest every game.

1 hour ago, soonerborn77 said:

Cody TappVerified account @codybtapp

Reid on the Mahomes INTs "I want him to test the offense. If you don't have the intestinal fortitude you'll end up being one of those QBs that checks it down all the time"

whoa

Sounds like a guy who got sick of watching Smith leave plays out on the field...

46 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

Damn sounds like a sizable poke at Alex

Young QBs are rarely very productive because they play scared or coaches call very conservative game plans for them. You've got all kinds of stud QBs playing like Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, John Elway, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisburger, ect, ect with 16-18 TDs and 12-15 INTs..And then you have the guys who aired it out like Stafford, Favre, Manning who threw 25 plus INTs. Young QBs make tons of mistakes. Its that simple. The game plan can manage those mistakes as Andy's often does. But Andy's never had a guy that can throw like this. And it took him 5 seasons to break Alex Smith out of being captain check down. Although he still played like that whent he stakes got high enough. That stuff can become engrained in you after years of failure like Alex had. 

6 hours ago, CHiefSP said:

In camp it is absolutely vital for him to test the offense and make mistakes. When else is he going to do that?

mini camp isn’t exactly the time. You’re too busy installing the offense and learning it. Plus you aren’t in pads and you aren’t flying around. 

Preseason games won’t work either bc nobody throws many blitzes at QB’s and everything is vanilla.

Training camp is the best and only time for this guy to learn on the job in a game setting with pads. Now is the time to understand what the defense is doing and seeing what throws you can make, plays you can execute etc.

or would you rather just start having him learn week 1?

36 minutes ago, ChiefThunder said:

Damn right it is. From what I recall, Reid wanted Smith to let it rip since the very beginning. 

No way Reid would take a shot at Smith.  He loves the guy.  Even if he didn’t Big Red isn’t the type of person to take shots like that.

8 hours ago, sith13 said:

Any news on Fisher and Erving? 

According to Reid, just "tweaks."  :rolleyes:  That's what Reid says about everything, even death.  But there seems to be a consensus that these are just mild, typical camp type boo boo's.  A shoulder "tweak" for Fisher" and a knee "tweak" for Erving.  I guess they are both "tweakers."

On 8/2/2018 at 10:10 AM, dksww said:

In reference to Ryan Tannehill having 5 interceptions in camp so far:

MAPLE RICKKKKKK  ? ?Retweeted Armando Salguero

Aaron Rodgers has 7 interceptions in 4 practices. Can we please not make this a thing like it matters?

"Rodgers has also said in the past that he uses practice reps – such as live team periods during camp – to test throwing windows and risk opportunities he wouldn’t normally take in a real game. It’s a way to test the boundaries of a play without the in-game consequences."

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/02/packers-arent-the-least-bit-worried-about-aaron-rodgers-training-camp-ints/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

2 hours ago, xen said:

"Rodgers has also said in the past that he uses practice reps – such as live team periods during camp – to test throwing windows and risk opportunities he wouldn’t normally take in a real game. It’s a way to test the boundaries of a play without the in-game consequences."

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/02/packers-arent-the-least-bit-worried-about-aaron-rodgers-training-camp-ints/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Huh, it's almost as if common sense would suggest training camp being a situation where the things that happen don't really matter and are literally used for training purposes.

2 hours ago, xen said:

Thanks for that, Xen. Especially because Mahomes is compared to Rodgers more than anyone else.

3 hours ago, xen said:

Entire conversation is pretty silly. Questioning a QBs potential based on a week of training camp is just stupid. I personally can see and would be very happy with a  24 TD, 15 INT type split which would put Mahomes FAR above the bell curve for what most good QBs produced when they were 22-23.  I think this is going to be a thrill ride personally thats not for the faint of heart this year.