Chiefs 2018 Training Camp Thread

15 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Entire conversation is pretty silly. Questioning a QBs potential based on a week of training camp is just stupid. I personally can see and would be very happy with a  24 TD, 15 INT type split which would put Mahomes FAR above the bell curve for what most good QBs produced when they were 22-23.  I think this is going to be a thrill ride personally thats not for the faint of heart this year. 

Nobody questioned his potential.  I questioned a tendency he’s had in camp to throw interceptions and said I hoped it doesn’t carry over to Sunday’s.  

39 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

Nobody questioned his potential.  I questioned a tendency he’s had in camp to throw interceptions and said I hoped it doesn’t carry over to Sunday’s.  

Here's the thing though... it's going to carry over to Sundays.  No first year QB doesn't throw bunches of Int's their first year starting.  Usually it's year 2 or 3 of starting when the int's drop as they figure out what they can get away with. 

Mahomes has an incredible ceiling but he's not superman.  Eventually he'll figure it out as he gets game experience.  Crying about it now is futile. 

Have patience.  Enjoy the ride, but know that you won't see a finished product for a few years. 

In the meantime, he just has to make enough plays to overcome his mistakes. 

The good news is Mahomes seems to have no conscience, which is good.  While he's more similiar to Rodgers in his play (imo), that's the brett favre gene working in that favre could throw 3 int's and come back strong in the same game.  Most qb's would turtle up in that situation.

TL;DR this is what progress looks like.  It's not always pretty.

28 minutes ago, xen said:

Here's the thing though... it's going to carry over to Sundays.  No first year QB doesn't throw bunches of Int's their first year starting.  Usually it's year 2 or 3 of starting when the int's drop as they figure out what they can get away with. 

Mahomes has an incredible ceiling but he's not superman.  Eventually he'll figure it out as he gets game experience.  Crying about it now is futile. 

Have patience.  Enjoy the ride, but know that you won't see a finished product for a few years. 

In the meantime, he just has to make enough plays to overcome his mistakes. 

The good news is Mahomes seems to have no conscience, which is good.  While he's more similiar to Rodgers in his play (imo), that's the brett favre gene working in that favre could throw 3 int's and come back strong in the same game.  Most qb's would turtle up in that situation.

TL;DR this is what progress looks like.  It's not always pretty.

Yes, I agree.  I’m not worried about PM2 and can’t wait to see him slingin’ it on Sunday’s.

2 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

Yes, I agree.  I’m not worried about PM2 and can’t wait to see him slingin’ it on Sunday’s.

Agreed.  But this first year is gonna be crazy.  He may drive some of us batty at times with the mistakes.  But what the hey, you gotta make mistakes to learn from them.

Gonna be a fun season.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Agreed.  But this first year is gonna be crazy.  He may drive some of us batty at times with the mistakes.  But what the hey, you gotta make mistakes to learn from them.

Gonna be a fun season.

I’m really not sure what to expect.  It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Mahomes lights the league up the first half and then defenses get some tape and he struggles second half.  

20 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

I’m really not sure what to expect.  It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Mahomes lights the league up the first half and then defenses get some tape and he struggles second half.  

Everything is lining up for  him being a long term great QB.  First he gets to learn for a year under AS and Andy Reid.  Then he goes under fire immediately in one of the most difficult schedules (thanks to our record) but with an embarrassment of riches at the playmaker spots.  By the second half, he will have made his mistakes, and the schedule difficulty will be easing off, as well.  What a great setup!  So, I disagree with your theory.

10 hours ago, CHiefSP said:

Most young QBs throw a lot of INTs, especially if they are asked to be throw in a lot of obvious situations. Just part of the learning curve. Overreacting to that is just shortsighted.  

8 hours ago, CHiefSP said:

It’ll be just the opposite in my opinion. I’ll wager my spot on the board on it. 

I think Andy is stressing to Mahomes not to ease up and go the conservative route. So PM2 is pushing the envelope even at the expense of a pick or two. Stretch the boundaries as far as you can possibly stretch it. Make defenses have to defend the entire field. Plant it in their minds. As stated by many, Mahomes is gonna have a bunch of picks this year. No doubting it. But he will also take this offense places we have never seen down the road. Buckle up.

1 hour ago, Chiefswinitall said:

Its really stupid that they don't have preseason games on Sat. and Sunday.

Weekend TV time is expensive.  Do you really think that enough tickets are sold and viewership is big enough in those games to pay for weekend slots?  Maybe the last game before the season.  Most viewers don't care to see a bunch of subs. 

On 8/4/2018 at 7:22 AM, CHiefSP said:

Not only will his decisions continually improve over his career (beccause he is smart), but his ability to successfully throw accirate;u across his chest while moving in the opposite direction will absolutely brain-fuck secondaries all over the league.  If Mahomes keeps learning to use his eyes to mess with defenders, he could be impossible to stop.

12 hours ago, Chiefswinitall said:

I suppose.    I guess Murder she wrote and reruns of Barnaby Jones wins again.

Yep.  When something "seems" stupid or senseless or even ethically wrong in a "for-profit" society, it is very easy to understand. Just apply the basic principle of the immortal Mark Felt: "Follow the money."  If you do, everything else will make perfect sense.  Your own wish to sit at home and watch pre-season games on TV during prime slots is utterly irrelevant. Professional sports, commercial media, and advertising are all for-profit enterprises.

29 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Not only will his decisions continually improve over his career (beccause he is smart), but his ability to successfully throw accirate;u across his chest while moving in the opposite direction will absolutely brain-fuck secondaries all over the league.  If Mahomes keeps learning to use his eyes to mess with defenders, he could be impossible to stop.

I love seeing this from him. The quick unorthodox flip for 40 yards will keep us in any play. Biding time while running and expecting a corner to keep with the WR......wow. his Denver game was a great precursor of things to come. I think he will do just fine this year but I dont think he is your typical first ye aw r starter too the way he prepares and has learned etc....

15 hours ago, CHiefSP said:

So what?  Mahomes sucks first half and then gets good second half?  Why so absolute about it?

It's because of the schedule.  My God, we have to play @SD, @PIT, @DEN and @NE within the first 6 weeks.

SMellinger summed it up pretty well today:

"The Chiefs are going from a guy who led the league in lowest interception rate partly because of his caution to one who will lead the league in highlight throws partly because of his flare.

They had a nice and perfectly sensible Volvo, and traded it in for a souped-up Mustang with racing stripes on the side. They’ll have more fun, but they might run into a few more guardrails, too."

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article216025120.html

17 hours ago, CHiefSP said:

So what?  Mahomes sucks first half and then gets good second half?  Why so absolute about it?

Our schedule the first six weeks is brutal.  4 road games and the AFC runners up and possibly the leagues best defense at Arrowhead.  

3 hours ago, dksww said:

It's because of the schedule.  My God, we have to play @SD, @PIT, @DEN and @NE within the first 6 weeks.

Yep.  He’s gonna be thrown into the fire against a really good coordinator who’s got two great pass rushers at his disposal.  I’m sure Pat will see looks he’s never seen before.  

Then right to Pitt who always gives our offense fits.  

Quick camp thoughts   

1. Seems secondary is holding up much better than I expected and great to see our 6th rounder keep flashing.  Fullers been all that’s advertised and I like him rolling inside in the nickel package  Nelson is coming of age   

2. Cam Erving seems to be settling in as the starter at LG which I find really surprising. Likewise our backups have apparently not been good so Veach probably needs to look at adding someone. 

3. Ragland back in pads today is a good sign. Let’s see how the knee responds.  

4. Been big crowds up at Missouri Western   Fans are clearly excited for this era to begin.