Chiefs 2018 Training Camp Thread

6 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Conley or Robinson.  I'd expect an average Guard in return. 

Erving being the first string LG is a major concern.

I can't imagine anyone giving up a starting quality lineman for a second string receiver.  Promising wide receivers with no actual production are a dime a dozen (maybe cheaper).  We'd get depth at best.

3 minutes ago, Marleydawg said:

I can't imagine anyone giving up a starting quality lineman for a second string receiver.  Promising wide receivers with no actual production are a dime a dozen (maybe cheaper).  We'd get depth at best.

Conley has some production and is 100%.  I don't think he'll be getting a 2nd contract from KC anyhow, so I wouldn't be disappointed to deal him away for a starting caliber Guard.

Just now, liquidfriend said:

Conley has some production and is 100%.  I don't think he'll be getting a 2nd contract from KC anyhow, so I wouldn't be disappointed to deal him away for a starting caliber Guard.

of course not!  You'd just have to find a team willing to be fleeced.

45 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

That's silly.  The Chiefs would be the ones getting fleeced if they can't land an upgrade from Cam Erving in a trade.

You think theres a possibility they actually like Cam Erving and thats why they traded for HIM?  That maybe they think he can fulfill some of his talent with a full offseason here?

Just now, Iluvhouse24 said:

You think theres a possibility they actually like Cam Erving and thats why they traded for HIM?  That maybe they think he can filfill some of the talent woth a full offseason here?

I don’t know. Veach seemed pretty adament he was playing out of position inside and is best suited for tackle.  Now guard is easier than center but I’m skeptical especially after hearing our backups have not looked good.  

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

That's silly.  The Chiefs would be the ones getting fleeced if they can't land an upgrade from Cam Erving in a trade.

I think diehard posted Conley's career numbers in another thread.  72 rec/980 yds/1 TD.  In 3 seasons.  Coming off a significant injury.  

I like Conley, I'm pulling for him, but I think silliness is expecting another team to give you a quality starter for him...  Maybe you could throw in a bridge somewhere?

31 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I would keep the bet on the the guys we have at LG and use a trade like that for another safety.

There are still some quality FA options just sitting out there.

6 minutes ago, Marleydawg said:

I think diehard posted Conley's career numbers in another thread.  72 rec/980 yds/1 TD.  In 3 seasons.  Coming off a significant injury.  

I like Conley, I'm pulling for him, but I think silliness is expecting another team to give you a quality starter for him...  Maybe you could throw in a bridge somewhere?

Conley didn't get diagnosed with aids.  A marginal player is an upgrade from Erving.  I really don't know what angle you're trying to hit here.

48 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

You think theres a possibility they actually like Cam Erving and thats why they traded for HIM?  That maybe they think he can fulfill some of his talent with a full offseason here?

I have zero idea what so ever as to why they traded for Erving.  He sucks.

3 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Conley didn't get diagnosed with aids.  A marginal player is an upgrade from Erving.  I really don't know what angle you're trying to hit here.

The angle is nobody is going to give us a quality starting lineman, ready to go, without giving up something of relatively equal value, such as draft picks (which is what we did last year to get Erving!). It's just not realistic.

The coaches think Erving is an upgrade over last year's starter.  Give him some time, we can always fall back to last year's line in case of emergency.

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

The reason they got  him is his versatility.  When they lost Fulton, they didn't any longer have a guy who could step in at center, guard, or either tackle position when needed and be credible at any of them.  That's why they got Erving.  He is like Fulton in that regard.  Every team neads a swing man because of the inevitable injuries. He doesn't suck.  He's just versatile.  Got it?

I think his natural position is tackle, and he would like to do that exclusively and develop, but they are working him in camp as the versatile swing guy.  Also, remember that O-line is very complex, and most guys don't reach their peak until year 5.  What is this?  His third year in the league?  While moving him all over the place?  He was a first round draft pick, for God's sake. Saying he "sucks" right now is like saying a second year med student sucks as a doctor. Veatch is smarter than that.

5 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Veach talked about how talented Erving was and wasted inside. IMO there's room for such errors in trade/draft market. We saved some money by replacing Reid with him and may be he turns out to be a decent LG who knows. Definitely wasn't an upgrade over anyone last year though. 

the Chiefs will give Erving this year to show improvement and if he doesn't, he's gone.

This will be his first seasons with a competent coaching staff.   Last year he had to adjust on the fly with our system. 

The Browns haven't been capable of drafting and developing anyone, so I am willing to give Erving a chance with the Chiefs.

13 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

What are you going to get now through a trade when the injury bug hasn't ravished the WR ranks across the NFL? I would guess the value is quite low. Now add into the mix Conley's production and injury and I think the value becomes even lower. I doubt any team is going to part ways with a quality guard right now. Maybe if the injury bug hits a team at receiver and they have good guard depth...maybe. I don't think it is likely the Chiefs will find another guard at this point that will be starting over any of the current players. I like Conley and think he has value on the Chiefs. I just don't see why another team would want to trade for him at this point.

Pretty sure Veach and Reid are not going to give up on the former first round pick they traded for.

I'll trust Reid's judgement as he is pretty good at developing flexible linemen that can play multiple positions.

w

On 7/18/2018 at 3:37 PM, Chiefswinitall said:

More fans going to show up?  Wonder how many more.

By all reports its been crazy how many fans have turned up at training camp. They used the term huge crowds again this morning. Just a ton of excitement about this new era and an energy we haven't seen since perhaps the early 90s. 

14 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Erving is one of the worst Offensive Linemen I've seen in a good awhile.  Not exaggerating.

Obviously he physically everything you want. But Veach really made a point about how they thought he really flashed something his few opportunities to play tackle. Which is why I'm concerned he is playing guard. Plus Grunny knew some coaches personally who didn't have great things to say about his coachability. His technical skills suck. Or at least they did when he got here. Has he really been making progress or is this just a case of Ehringer really sucking.

Ill add this though. Veach said this morning that while he always has feelers out there to see who may be available overall, he doesn't see the need we had last offseason to make the two trades he did. That's at least somewhat encouraging he likes his roster. 

We’ve got a 22 year old QB, I don’t think it’s likely Andy wants to start trading away his weapons unless we are keeping a guy better than we are trading.  IE...possibly Williams over West.  Veach seemed pretty content minus injuries with our roster this morning.  A late addition through cuts is always viable but I don’t think he feels like he needs to trade a contributor. And Robinson has surprised me with a really good camp. 

On 8/6/2018 at 8:46 PM, Mloe68 said:

We’ve got a 22 year old QB, I don’t think it’s likely Andy wants to start trading away his weapons unless we are keeping a guy better than we are trading.  IE...possibly Williams over West.  Veach seemed pretty content minus injuries with our roster this morning.  A late addition through cuts is always viable but I don’t think he feels like he needs to trade a contributor. And Robinson has surprised me with a really good camp. 

Veach said that if they have a surplus at a position he would consider making a trade.