CB Breeland and WR from Steelers workout for Chiefs

. https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/7/21/17598944/report-chiefs-to-work-out-cornerback-bashaud-breeland-on-tuesday

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a wealth of talent at the wide receiver position, so naturally other teams will look for opportunities to bring in former black-and-gold pass catchers to help their own receiving corps. When Pittsburgh chose not to tender Eli Rogers, the former Louisville receiver, he was set to hit the free agent market. The only caveat in this situation is how he is coming off a torn ACL in his knee during the loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars last postseason. Rogers is now healthy, and stated this week he is ready to choose his next team. A report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter suggests the first stop on his comeback tour might just be in Kansas City with the Chiefs. Former Steelers’ WR Eli Rogers, who tore his ACL in January during the postseason and has made a strong and quicker-than-expected comeback from his injury, is scheduled to work out Sunday for the KC Chiefs, per source. — Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) July 21, 2018 Many Steelers fans were hoping Rogers would return to Pittsburgh to compete for the spot as the slot receiver, a job he held for the past two seasons, but Rogers might be looking at it differently. The Steelers’ receiving depth chart is already pretty full, and there would be no guarantee Rogers would play while behind Antonio Brown, JuJu Smith-Schuster and rookie James Washington. In Kansas City, he might view it as a chance to actually play, and not just wait for an opportunity. While this is just a workout, likely to determine how healthy his knee is, if he decides to sign with the Chiefs he will be catching passes from Patrick Mahomes, which certainly won’t be the same as Ben Roethlisberger from his time in Pittsburgh. Stay tuned to BTSC for the latest on this developing story, as well as other news as the team heads to training camp on the 25th. More From Behind the Steel Curtain

Two things that could work in the chiefs favor is that KC currently has more cap space than the raiders so we can offer more money, and i read somewhere else that there are already several players on the chiefs roster (fuller, Watkins etc) who have played with him in the past so that may give us a foot up so to speak on the raiders

I would love Breeland on a one year deal. Would go a long way to sure up a questionable dB corp

I'm not sure a 1 year deal will get it done. He had a 3 year, $24M offer signed minus the failed physical and is healthy enough to workout for teams now.

The Chiefs have $7.5M in 2018 cap space and $35M for 2019. They can afford to do a multi-year deal and it wouldn't be a huge risk.

Even if it takes him to week 4 to be 100%, he's going to be a training camp steal for somebody. I just hope it's the Chiefs.

We could then, really get excited about this year if they get a reliable #2 CB.

I'm not sure a 1 year deal will get it done.  He had a 3 year, $24M offer signed minus the failed physical and is healthy enough to workout for teams now.

The Chiefs have $7.5M in 2018 cap space and $35M for 2019.  They can afford to do a multi-year deal and it wouldn't be a huge risk.

Even if it takes him to week 4 to be 100%, he's going to be a training camp steal for somebody.  I just hope it's the Chiefs. 

We could really get excited about this year if they get a reliable #2 CB.

Agreed across the board.

Not excited about Rogers.  The Chiefs already have 15 WRs coming to camp and while Rogers might be an upgrade over most of them, he would cost too much to be a 3 or 4.

Agree about the part of not excited about Rogers. Wide receiver is pretty deep. At best he is the #3 guy but I still think Conley and Robinson have great upside and they are already under contract. Why throw money at a position of strength. Breeland is a different story. Chiefs hopefully get a shot to see if he is ready to go. Adding him would not be the worst thing they could do.

Breeland is a guy we should definitely have in TC. The secondary is very shallow and he could be a solid starter. 1-year deal with option for a 2nd or something should be a good way to go.

We have a lot of potential at WR so Rogers might not be a huge upgrade. The question is whether or not we'll be able to realize that potential. 

Not sure about breeland. He was much better in the slot than outside. But then again, they had him playing a lot of zone and he sucks as a zone corner. He was much much better in man. A lot of his struggles might be attributed to usage but who knows. Hopefully Veach has done his homework.

Not sure about breeland. He was much better in the slot than outside. But then again, they had him playing a lot of zone and he sucks as a zone corner. He was much much better in man. A lot of his struggles might be attributed to usage but who knows. Hopefully Veach has done his homework.

Even so, it's still anything 5 times better than what we would roll out at the #2 CB spot week 1 without him. 

Even so, it's still anything 5 times better than what we would roll out at the #2 CB spot week 1 without him.

If this is actually true, we are in for a very long year. I personally think Amerson, Nelson and Fuller is a decent trio. With the addition of Breeland it would be a solid group.

If this is actually true, we are in for a very long year. I personally think Amerson, Nelson and Fuller is a decent trio. With the addition of Breeland it would be a solid group.

I just worry Amerson is hot garbage or he's not good enough to be a #2 CB full time.

I can just see that #2 CB position killing us all year like it did last year.

I just worry Amerson is hot garbage or he's not good enough to be a #2 CB full time.

I can just see that #2 CB position killing us all year like it did last year.

I think they see a Sean Smith type role for Amerson. Big body guy there to get WRs off routes and ride them toward sidelines. Smith was good at that but was asked to do more in Oakland and has sucked. Let’s hope it works the opposite for Amerson in a more defined role.

Agreed. I have low expectations but hey, maybe we'll be surprised.

We only gave him a $500,000 guarantee so he could actually be cut if he’s a disaster. Especially considering his contract literally gives him a weekly incentive bonus just for being on the roster. Keysers breakdown of his film offers some real potential and likewise it looks like injuries and poor safety play made Amerson look even worse than he was. We are better coached and Berry has a way of making corners look far better. I’m somewhat optimistic he can at least help.

Either way I believe Veachs plan was to address this position early in the next draft.

Archived