Chiefs Ready to Sign Breeland in St Joe Today

What the fuck Brett

He was in Oakland for 2 days and didn't sign. Maybe this guy is overvaluing his own market. Maybe it's years that are the hangup. Who knows...My guess is we sign him today, but if this guy is still wanting 8 million per I think he may be barking up the wrong tree. Not many teams are still flush with cash.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be assumed that the Browns and the Colts would likely pay Breeland more than KC would, but does he want to play for two dumpster fire teams? And how much does having Kendall Fuller help in our attempt to sign him for possibly less money? My guess is that the deal will be announced today.

Our secondary lacked any kind of competence last year and that was with Peters. We don't have the luxury of not signing this guy if we want to be competitive this year. Fuller & a bag of shit is what we are looking at with no depth whatsoever, it's a no brainer in my opinion. He's not a savior, but it's a stop gap until another draft & off season.

Exactly.

Adam TeicherVerified account @adamteicher 3m3 minutes ago

Bashaud Breeland stayed for the morning's entire Chiefs mini camp practice. I asked him afterward if he was going to sign with Kansas City. "There's no telling. I can't just spill the beans," he said.

Chiefs_All_Day @Chiefs_All_Day 50m50 minutes ago

Chiefs_All_Day Retweeted Brooke Pryor

Somebody bring him some @joeskc bbq

Brooke PryorVerified account @bepryor

Bashaud Breeland is hanging out with the DBs group, watching their workout while he tosses a football around

Steven St.JohnVerified account @SSJWHB 1h1 hour ago

Bashaud Breeland watching practice with Bob Sutton. #ChiefsCamp

https://twitter.com/SSJWHB/status/102211967339408998

Adam Teicher‏Verified account @adamteicher 3m3 minutes ago

Bashaud Breeland stayed for the morning's entire Chiefs mini camp practice. I asked him afterward if he was going to sign with Kansas City. "There's no telling. I can't just spill the beans," he said.

Chiefs_All_Day‏ @Chiefs_All_Day 50m50 minutes ago

Chiefs_All_Day Retweeted Brooke Pryor

Somebody bring him some @joeskc bbq

Brooke Pryor‏Verified account @bepryor

Bashaud Breeland is hanging out with the DBs group, watching their workout while he tosses a football around

Steven St.John‏Verified account @SSJWHB 1h1 hour ago

Bashaud Breeland watching practice with Bob Sutton. #ChiefsCamp

https://twitter.com/SSJWHB/status/102211967339408998

Looks like it's a done deal. 

Hopefully it's a team friendly contract. Unless he's willing to take a 1 year prove it deal, which seems unlikely with at least 4 suitors (unless he just really wants to play here) that would necessitate a multiyear deal which can take some time.

Hopefully it's a team friendly contract. Unless he's willing to take a 1 year prove it deal, which seems unlikely with at least 4 suitors (unless he just really wants to play here) that would necessitate a multiyear deal which can take some time.

I think he's worth multiple years. Young, experienced, above average corner. We are lucky to have a chance to sign a guy like this at this time of year, IMO.

I could see a deal with decent contract value and not as high guarantees so he'll be happy in the short term while we get the long term benefit similar to the Sean Smith deal. I would be surprised if he signs a 1-year deal with other teams waiting in line but his agent might have already checked out the waters to find nothing better elsewhere. 

I think he's worth multiple years. Young, experienced, above average corner. We are lucky to have a chance to sign a guy like this at this time of year, IMO.

I agree. My only "concern" if I would even classify it as a concern is, per reports, he struggled with man coverage. Excelled in zone coverage and press. So are the Chiefs running a press zone coverage instead of a press man coverage? I can't imagine the Chiefs would shell out tons of money for a player if he didn't fit the defense schematically. They got rid of Peters for the same reason...I think.

Is he looking for a similar deal that he had in Carolina? Three-year, $24 million contract, including $11 million in guaranteed money

Had he not hurt himself on vacation thats what he would have had.

I'm sure he is, but I doubt any team will offer that now.

Oakland supposedly offered a 1 year, $7m deal he turned down.

I agree. My only "concern" if I would even classify it as a concern is, per reports, he struggled with man coverage. Excelled in zone coverage and press. So are the Chiefs running a press zone coverage instead of a press man coverage? I can't imagine the Chiefs would shell out tons of money for a player if he didn't fit the defense schematically. They got rid of Peters for the same reason...I think.

Not sure where that narrative comes from.  His best grades were in man coverage and he graded much worse in zone.

here's some info culled from pff articles:

CB_2017-WK4-SNAPS-PER-REC-768x432.jpg

T-5. BASHAUD BREELAND – WASHINGTON REDSKINS

PFF Grade: 51.4

PFF Elite cover snaps per reception: 20.2

Bashaud Breeland has been the least-targeted of the three top Washington cornerbacks, seeing only nine passes thrown his way despite playing an identical number of snaps to Josh Norman on the other side. H has surrendered five receptions for 49 yards on those passes (55.6 percent), and given up a passer rating of 71.1.

July 2017

Bashaud Breeland’s 63.9 passer rating against from the slot ranked first in the NFL, but his overall grade of 48.0 put him toward the bottom of the league in 2016.

from June 2017:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-case-for-washington-cb-breeland-to-see-more-snaps-at-slot-cb-in-2017

• CB Bashaud Breeland is entering the last year of his rookie deal in Washington, so both Breeland and Washington will want him at his best. He is expected to open up the season playing opposite Josh Norman on the outside, but over his three years in the league, he has put up more impressive numbers playing as a slot cornerback.
  • Kendall Fuller saw the majority of slot corner snaps for Washington last year. His overall grade of 51.8 ranked him 90th of 111 graded corners in 2016. He allowed 1.99 yards per cover snap, the most among slot corners with at least 270 snaps. Fuller also allowed a passer rating of 122.7 when covering in the slot, the league’s second highest mark.
  • When Breeland lined up in the slot in 2016, he allowed a passer rating of 63.9, the lowest mark in the NFL.
  • Over his three-year career in Washington, Breeland has played 1248 snaps on the outside. He has allowed 1,794 yards at an average of 13.7 yards per reception and allowed 1.44 yards per cover snap (2016 average was 1.45) and a passer rating of 101.0 (2016 average was 93.5).
  • He has played 241 snaps as a slot corner and allowed 259 yards at an average of 10 yards per reception. As a slot corner, he allowed 1.07 yards per cover snap (2016 slot CB Average was 1.17) and a passer rating of 63.1 (2016 slot CB average was 97.2).

BREELAND-COMPARISON.jpg

From July 2017:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-washington-cb-breeland-needs-a-big-year-heading-into-free-agency

• https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-washington-cb-breeland-needs-a-big-year-heading-into-free-agency
  • Washington Redskins CB Bashaud Breeland will enter the season on the last year of his rookie contract, and will have to bounce back from a disappointing year if he wants to attract a big-money deal.
  • Breeland had a good year in 2015, and finished the season with a PFF overall grade of 80.5, which ranked 28th of 98 qualifying cornerbacks. His performance dipped in 2016, and he finished the campaign with a grade of 48.0, ranking him 83rd of 109.
  • In 2016, Breeland spent 40 percent of his snaps in man coverage, and performed very well. He was targeted 37 times and allowed 17 receptions, logged one interception and didn’t allow a touchdown. He allowed a passer rating of just 47.9, the sixth-lowest mark among the league’s corners with at least 25 targets.
  • While playing in zone coverage, he allowed 23 receptions from 27 attempts, with no picks, surrendered four touchdowns and allowing a passer rating of 150.5 – the highest mark in the league among corners with at least 25 targets. Heading into 2017, Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Manusky may look to give Breeland more snaps in man coverage.

Bashaud-Breeland.png

Not sure where that narrative comes from.  His best grades were in man coverage and he graded much worse in zone.

here's some info culled from pff articles:

CB_2017-WK4-SNAPS-PER-REC-768x432.jpg

T-5. BASHAUD BREELAND – WASHINGTON REDSKINS

PFF Grade: 51.4

PFF Elite cover snaps per reception: 20.2

Bashaud Breeland has been the least-targeted of the three top Washington cornerbacks, seeing only nine passes thrown his way despite playing an identical number of snaps to Josh Norman on the other side. H has surrendered five receptions for 49 yards on those passes (55.6 percent), and given up a passer rating of 71.1.

July 2017

Bashaud Breeland’s 63.9 passer rating against from the slot ranked first in the NFL, but his overall grade of 48.0 put him toward the bottom of the league in 2016.

from June 2017:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-case-for-washington-cb-breeland-to-see-more-snaps-at-slot-cb-in-2017

• CB Bashaud Breeland is entering the last year of his rookie deal in Washington, so both Breeland and Washington will want him at his best. He is expected to open up the season playing opposite Josh Norman on the outside, but over his three years in the league, he has put up more impressive numbers playing as a slot cornerback.
  • Kendall Fuller saw the majority of slot corner snaps for Washington last year. His overall grade of 51.8 ranked him 90th of 111 graded corners in 2016. He allowed 1.99 yards per cover snap, the most among slot corners with at least 270 snaps. Fuller also allowed a passer rating of 122.7 when covering in the slot, the league’s second highest mark.
  • When Breeland lined up in the slot in 2016, he allowed a passer rating of 63.9, the lowest mark in the NFL.
  • Over his three-year career in Washington, Breeland has played 1248 snaps on the outside. He has allowed 1,794 yards at an average of 13.7 yards per reception and allowed 1.44 yards per cover snap (2016 average was 1.45) and a passer rating of 101.0 (2016 average was 93.5).
  • He has played 241 snaps as a slot corner and allowed 259 yards at an average of 10 yards per reception. As a slot corner, he allowed 1.07 yards per cover snap (2016 slot CB Average was 1.17) and a passer rating of 63.1 (2016 slot CB average was 97.2).

BREELAND-COMPARISON.jpg

From July 2017:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-washington-cb-breeland-needs-a-big-year-heading-into-free-agency

• https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-washington-cb-breeland-needs-a-big-year-heading-into-free-agency
  • Washington Redskins CB Bashaud Breeland will enter the season on the last year of his rookie contract, and will have to bounce back from a disappointing year if he wants to attract a big-money deal.
  • Breeland had a good year in 2015, and finished the season with a PFF overall grade of 80.5, which ranked 28th of 98 qualifying cornerbacks. His performance dipped in 2016, and he finished the campaign with a grade of 48.0, ranking him 83rd of 109.
  • In 2016, Breeland spent 40 percent of his snaps in man coverage, and performed very well. He was targeted 37 times and allowed 17 receptions, logged one interception and didn’t allow a touchdown. He allowed a passer rating of just 47.9, the sixth-lowest mark among the league’s corners with at least 25 targets.
  • While playing in zone coverage, he allowed 23 receptions from 27 attempts, with no picks, surrendered four touchdowns and allowing a passer rating of 150.5 – the highest mark in the league among corners with at least 25 targets. Heading into 2017, Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Manusky may look to give Breeland more snaps in man coverage.

Bashaud-Breeland.png

Thanks for sharing. I tried looking for the article I read, but can't seem to find it now. I respect PFF's information, so I have to concede that I was dead wrong with my post.

Edit: I found the article...and totally realized I misread it like a complete jackass.

From what I could get, there is an effort being made to do so. Breeland and his agent are trying to stick with the scheduled tour, in hopes of getting a higher contract.

I'd say if they let him go to Indy, we're out of this one.

Yep

From what I could get, there is an effort being made to do so. Breeland and his agent are trying to stick with the scheduled tour, in hopes of getting a higher contract.

I'd say if they let him go to Indy, we're out of this one.

Maybe, but I get the sense that he and his agent both want him playing for the Chiefs.  He wouldn't have spent all day with the Chiefs on the practice field if he didn't have sincere interest in playing for them.  Indy and Cleveland may very well offer more money, but it may have to be a bucket-load more money to provide as compelling an opportunity to compete for a playoff spot and post-season success.  Money talks, so if he leaves I would not be surprised if he signed elsewhere, but the shear amount of time he's spent with coaches and staff tells me he's very interested.

Archived