Teicher On Mahomes: Guess AS11 was Better

Teicher is the most negative person since Len Dawson.

Unless Mahomes goes 39-40 for 400 yards, and the Chiefs get 550 yards offense with only allowing 100 yards, Teicher will find something to complain about the Chiefs on the national scene.

23 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

Teicher is the most negative person since Len Dawson.

Unless Mahomes goes 39-40 for 400 yards, and the Chiefs get 550 yards offense with only allowing 100 yards, Teicher will find something to complain about the Chiefs on the national scene.

Your damn straight, he should have went 40 - 40.

articles like this are a waste of time.  this is all the media has for us at this point so they have to find something to talk about.

i heard about the 3 interceptions through sports talk 810.  I guess one play was an INT on a play the defense was offsides, the 2nd was a play where Mahomes could've walked into the end zone but threw the ball anyway.  The 3rd was a bad read by Mahomes.

We all know this doesn't matter because we'd hear how great Alex Smith looked every year in camp and then every year Alex Smith would play the same way he always did in the season.

This is going to get annoying really quick.   Let's compare a 13 yr vet whom has been in the system for 4 years to a guy that has had one season and start to his name and act like its the same.   

Smith in his first full year of starting, his 2nd year in the league,  he had 16 picks.    Mahomes will probably be right around that maybe even a little higher.   He also had 16 TDs and 2890 yds.   Mahomes will beat those numbers by quite a bit.   

Or maybe put things in a little bit of perspective that even Manning struggled with 28 picks his first year.   Even vets can struggle during camp.   Aaron Rodgers has thrown multiple picks 4 days in row   during Packers camp recently so it shouldn't be a surprise that Pat in his first camp as a starter is going thru some growing pains.  

wasn't as bad as I'd expected, given the comments.  But I don't remember the last time I learned something from (or was even impressed by) a Teicher article (including his time at the Star).  I'm just such a damn Chiefs junkie I'll read it anyway.

Terez was always an awesome read (still is!), especially his camp reports.  I enjoyed Bob Gretz's stuff before that. 

I think ArrowheadPride does a decent job but the best coverage of camp IMO has been from chiefs wire.  The new Star reporters have a long way to go.

AP is too homerish because they're afraid the Chiefs will yank credentials.

Terez wasn't the most connected with insider word, but usually had decent takes.

Mellinger is more into himself (and I don't give a shit about his life)

Teicher is literally worthless.  More worthless than Blob Gretz ever was, and ol' Blob was a bitter fuck when he was candy wrapper'd.

The last writer to dare challenge the good ol' boy network was Kent Babb.  The Chiefs despised him, and it wasn't a coincidence that DC scooped him up.

Pointing out mistakes and comparing to the quarterback he replaced is fair game.  Expecting the young and inexperienced

QB to be as polished as a veteran is expecting too much.  Sometimes articles like this are written just to be contrary.

So Alex Smith never threw an interception...or even multiple interceptions during camp? Part of Mahomes learning process is to see what he can or cannot get away with in camp so he knows what to do or not to do in real games. He also threw some amazing TD passes. I would be okay of Mahomes threw 2 picks in a game if his play was such that we still won. Winning is all that matters. We will see when the bullets are real.

16 minutes ago, dhitter said:

So Alex Smith never threw an interception...or even multiple interceptions during camp? Part of Mahomes learning process is to see what he can or cannot get away with in camp so he knows what to do or not to do in real games. He also threw some amazing TD passes. I would be okay of Mahomes threw 2 picks in a game if his play was such that we still won. Winning is all that matters. We will see when the bullets are real.

Alex's first year as a full time starter he had 16 TDs, 16 INTs.  Amazing how many first year starters throw in this range actually. 

4 hours ago, dhitter said:

We wont win any games he throw 2 picks a game.  Our defense is still a huge question mark.  

I remember Peters picking Smith off 4 times in a single practice. Might even be his rookie TC if not second. So I guess there's no direct correlation between the number of picks in TC and the real games. 

As @dhitter suggested they are probably working on his limits and asking him to protect the ball less. They are probably working on some close throws as well to simulate the real game environment. Picks will happen in camp and in real games, too early to worry about them. There's always the possibility of Mahomes not turning up as we expected but that's just a reason to try again. 

4 hours ago, sith13 said:

I remember Peters picking Smith off 4 times in a single practice. Might even be his rookie TC if not second. So I guess there's no direct correlation between the number of picks in TC and the real games. 

As @dhitter suggested they are probably working on his limits and asking him to protect the ball less. They are probably working on some close throws as well to simulate the real game environment. Picks will happen in camp and in real games, too early to worry about them. There's always the possibility of Mahomes not turning up as we expected but that's just a reason to try again. 

Absolutely 

This is for some reason really irritating to me. This discussion of picks in camp..

Why cant I find any statistics on the number of picks thrown by smith, during training camp while in kc?

Oh yeah.. because it doesnt matter..

btw.. where is the story on 32 of 34 with no picks, surely that should be a story as well right?

oh my god, a second year quarterback, starting for the  first time, called the wrong play in training camp.. oh hell no..

Life goes on..

Actually, I think Mahomes is ahead of schedule.  Everything is pointing to him being an outstanding QB for many, many years.

He is very smart, very focused, has a great Coach, the respect of his teammates and a fantastic attitude.

Add to that a cannon for an arm and you have a potential hall of fame QB.

I was and continue to be a huge Alex Smith fan, but Mahomes has proven that KC made a very wise draft choice and moving Smith to Washington was a good call.

w

5 hours ago, West said:

, but Mahomes has proven that KC made a very wise draft choice and moving Smith to Washington was a good call.

w

Nothing has been proven yet, but I'm willing to endure some bad games or even a disappointing season to see an experienced and mature Mahomes rule the west for the next decade.

9 hours ago, West said:

Actually, I think Mahomes is ahead of schedule.  Everything is pointing to him being an outstanding QB for many, many years.

He is very smart, very focused, has a great Coach, the respect of his teammates and a fantastic attitude.

Add to that a cannon for an arm and you have a potential hall of fame QB.

I was and continue to be a huge Alex Smith fan, but Mahomes has proven that KC made a very wise draft choice and moving Smith to Washington was a good call.

w

Well said.  It's hard to imagine it looking more promising than it does at this moment.

Of course that doesn't guarantee anything but you've got to be impressed with the organization's leadership.  They've taken a huge gamble and it looks good so far.

On 8/2/2018 at 9:11 AM, Evad said:

Pointing out mistakes and comparing to the quarterback he replaced is fair game.  Expecting the young and inexperienced

QB to be as polished as a veteran is expecting too much.  Sometimes articles like this are written just to be contrary.

There is so much hype about him that a dose of realism is warranted.   I think he will probably perform like John Elway did his first year. Moments of brilliance and times he was terrible.  Alex spoiled us.

Alex won a playoff game.  First playoff win since some guy named Joe.

That said, Alex also was part of some Heartbreaking Playoff losses.

Reid determined we had gone as far as we could with AS11 at the helm.  I can't think of another young QB as exciting as Mahomes right now.

KC made the right calls.

w

44 minutes ago, West said:

Alex won a playoff game.  First playoff win since some guy named Joe.

That said, Alex also was part of some Heartbreaking Playoff losses.

Reid determined we had gone as far as we could with AS11 at the helm.  I can't think of another young QB as exciting as Mahomes right now.

KC made the right calls.

w

Hope so.  Remember how inconsistent Elway was his first year?   I will cut the kid some slack for growing pains.   Interestingly he and Watson go head to head this Thursday.   Unfortunately maybe just one series

22 minutes ago, wilkie said:

Hope so.  Remember how inconsistent Elway was his first year?   I will cut the kid some slack for growing pains.   Interestingly he and Watson go head to head this Thursday.   Unfortunately maybe just one series

I remember. I would have liked to see the expression on that guards face when Mr Ed stuck his hands between his legs.

Agree with you Wilks...

My expectations are moderate.

The good news is that the Offense is absolutely loaded.  Its like the Trent Green Offense (with better WR's)  if they stay healthy.

Conceptually, Mahomes should be throwing to "open receivers" as opposed to forcing the ball into coverage.

Its exciting to say the least.

w

Archived