Let’s talk Chiefs 2018 record and whatever else comes up.

Is it too early to predict the Chiefs record for the 2018 season even with all we have seen so far in the offseason and the developments during training camp so far? Oh and the fact that we all know Veach probably isn’t finished churning the roster? 

Yeah, probably. 

But. 

I say we’ve got to be looking at, at best, a 9 and 7 season and, at worst, a 7 and 9 season. 

I’m not confident in the decision to retain Bob Sutton and the lack of a consistent pass rush and huge questions about the Chiefs secondary terrifies me. 

I see a transitional season this year. 

But it’ll be the most exciting season on offense we have ever witnessed. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least 9 or 10 wins. My prediction was 11-5 I think. Sticking with it. Took QB will make some mistakes, but it is hard to fathom that we are less talented than last year. Just have more young players. 

Rags FA is critical and worries me a lot. Oline health is critical. DB depth is critical. 

I think we can survive an injury at the skill positions as long as it’s not Kelce. 

To me, I think there are likely only two guaranteed losses: Pats and Steelers. The rest are truly toss ups. We likely win 10 or 11 games if Mahomes is good and elevates our guys. Likely only 5 or 6 if he doesn’t. I don’t think the defense is going to win us games like during Alex tenure of less than 20 points. The offense needs to carry us.

26 minutes ago, wilkie said:

I think it will be a fun year.  Could be similar to the Trent Green, Priest Holmes years.  All offense, no defense.

Yeah, every week could be like the no punt playoff game.  Actually, I don't expect Mahomes to light it up that much in his rookie year.  He may throw for lots of yards, but expect ints. to kill lots of scoring chances.  Hope I'm wrong and  he's an exception to most first year starters.  But............

Jet,  I cannot remember ANY first year quarterback who consistently lit up the league.  Remember Andrew Luck's first year?   Like you,  I am willing to sacrifice w/l record this year to give Mahomes a chance to excel.   Yes this is technically his second year but he only played in a meaningless game last year.

37 minutes ago, wilkie said:

Jet,  I cannot remember ANY first year quarterback who consistently lit up the league.  Remember Andrew Luck's first year?   Like you,  I am willing to sacrifice w/l record this year to give Mahomes a chance to excel.   Yes this is technically his second year but he only played in a meaningless game last year.

Dan Marino...to a certain extent Big Ben.

6-10 season. Transition year. AFC west will beat each other up. Ist Year starting QB will make those learning mistakes. Defense is perhaps one of the weakest KC has had in years and has little real depth. 2019 will be the YEAR KC begins a dominating AFC run. This season will be fun to watch but not many wins.

10 to 12 wins and win the division. Reid will play small ball if has to with Mahommes for awhile to get his feet wet. I dont expect him to light the world on fire but he will show flashes of great things to come.  I know some will laugh at me but I have been right the last 2 years and third time is a charm

17 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Seriously we added Watson, Berry, Ware, that young corner and only lost Peters. Smith to Mahomes is a push at worst.

Agree.  I think we win 11.  May be a rough start with the schedule but mahomes and the D improve in time to make a push.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Oh and DJ for Hitch. Upgrade. Hali for Speaks. Upgrade. Plus we own the west. Dline, upgrade. Oline, healthy. Knock on wood. Plus you can typically take Wilkie’s and Jet’s predictions and add 4 wins. Lol

Unfair.  I've predicted winning season for the Chiefs nearly every year of the Reid regime.  We just don't know about Speaks yet and those who predict that Mahomes will outplay what Smith did last year are basing it on hope, not history of rookie QBs.  The Chiefs could get off to a very rocky start or they could start like last year.  The odds on Mahomes dominating early in the season against a very tough schedule are long.  I've got as much invested in the Chiefs as anyone, but have to be realistic.

11 hours ago, sith13 said:

The last time Chargers beat us was the fluke game with Chase at QB and they won with two terrible calls. They need to beat us to actually progress. I believe it'll be our division again and 9-10 wins seem to be the final outcome. 

The Chargers may have as close to a must win game in week one as you can possibly have. And they know they better get us this year too or we could rip off 5 straight division titles.  

Ill say 9-7.  

17 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Unfair.  I've predicted winning season for the Chiefs nearly every year of the Reid regime.  We just don't know about Speaks yet and those who predict that Mahomes will outplay what Smith did last year are basing it on hope, not history of rookie QBs.  The Chiefs could get off to a very rocky start or they could start like last year.  The odds on Mahomes dominating early in the season against a very tough schedule are long.  I've got as much invested in the Chiefs as anyone, but have to be realistic.

The odds 2018 Pat Mahomes outperforms 2017 Alex Smith seems pretty unrealistic to me.  Heck if Alex had come back he likely couldn’t produce that again.

That said I also don’t see us having halfs where we barely could string together a few first downs as we did four times last year including the playoffs. 

All said I agree it’s not unlikely we get off to a rough start with the brutal schedule and inexperience at QB. 

Frankly Smith didn't win us any games with his arm but rather made sure we didn't lose any. Mahomes can win some with his arm and will likely lose some as a rookie QB. I think the end result might be the same record for both QBs. We are better pretty much everywhere on the roster as long as CBs hold up.

Archived