Let’s talk Chiefs 2018 record and whatever else comes up.

13 hours ago, jetlord said:

Unfair.  I've predicted winning season for the Chiefs nearly every year of the Reid regime.  We just don't know about Speaks yet and those who predict that Mahomes will outplay what Smith did last year are basing it on hope, not history of rookie QBs.  The Chiefs could get off to a very rocky start or they could start like last year.  The odds on Mahomes dominating early in the season against a very tough schedule are long.  I've got as much invested in the Chiefs as anyone, but have to be realistic.

Fair enough. I was just playin. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

21 hours ago, wilkie said:

Jet,  I cannot remember ANY first year quarterback who consistently lit up the league.  Remember Andrew Luck's first year?   Like you,  I am willing to sacrifice w/l record this year to give Mahomes a chance to excel.   Yes this is technically his second year but he only played in a meaningless game last year.

Andrew Luck and Peyton and lots of really good quarterbacks struggle their first year because they are going to 2-14 teams as the number one overall pick.  There's quite a few that fall into good situations that don't have that early struggle.  Dak was 13-3 with 23 TD's and 4 interceptions.  Russell Wilson 11-5, 26-10.  Tom Brady 11-3.  Rivers was 14-2 his first year as a starter with 22 TDs and 9 picks.  I think it's more fair to compare Mahomes situation with Prescott or Wilson than Luck or Manning. 

We are funny. Smith drops 368 and 4 TDs on New England with a 148 rating and we say he had a pretty good game.

Pat pulls 284 and pick against Denver with a 76 rating and we cream our jeans.

I give Pat 6 games before half the fans turn on him and long for Watson. Not saying the fans here, but those that call in to the radio and comment on articles.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

We are funny. Smith drops 368 and 4 TDs on New England with a 148 rating and we say he had a pretty good game.

Pat pulls 284 and pick against Denver with a 76 rating and we cream our jeans.

I give Pat 6 games before half the fans turn on him and long for Watson. Not saying the fans here, but those that call in to the radio and comment on articles.

That's about the way I see it.  Not to be a buzz killer, but the expectations for Mahomes seems pretty unrealistic in many cases.  The Chiefs defense hasn't been good enough to keep turnovers from giving the other team scores and I expect plenty of turnovers.  Give the O-line credit for providing a rookie the opportunity to win a rushing title, but their pass protection could have PM (Mahomes, not Manning) scrambling and making inexperienced decisions.Long term, the Chiefs made the right move and hopefully it will work out, but those who are touting a Chiefs' super bowl appearance this year are overreaching IMHO.

1 hour ago, Evad said:

uh, 2003 .......

Yeah but Eddie Kennison and a cast of no name wide receivers does not equal the absolute firepower the Chiefs are giving Mahomes the keys to this year. Bombs away. It’s been setup this year for a record breaking offensive season. We will see if they can eclipse that amazing season offensively. I think they will. 

• 3 weeks later...

@ LAC - Loss

@ Pitt - Loss

SanFran - Win

@ Donks - Win

Jags - Loss

@ Pats - Loss

Bengals - Win

Donks - Win

@ Cle - Win

Cards - Win

@ Rams - Loss

Bye

@ Faiders - Loss

Balt - Win

LAC - Win

@ Hawks - Loss

Faiders - Win

9-7 Wildcard

The best that I see right now is scratching out a wildcard spot.  They will start slow and the hysteria will begin.  Mahomes will start to figure it out and they will have a small win streak when the schedule softens mid-season.  Then they will do enough after the bye to sneak in to the show, and then who knows.

• 4 months later...

I had us 9-7 and Mahomes at 25 TDs, 15 INTs (which is still a really solid essentially rookie season.). Needless to say no matter what happens now the team and this QB have WAY exceeded what I thought was possible. I’ve definitely gotten my entertainment value from this season!

Just now, oldtimer said:
  On 8/8/2018 at 11:04 AM, wilkie said:

I think it will be a fun year.  Could be similar to the Trent Green, Priest Holmes years.  All offense, no defense

looks pretty close to me altho he was wrong on the record

He straddled the fence by posting the second post to cover him from the first post. IMO.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:
  On 8/8/2018 at 11:04 AM, wilkie said:

I think it will be a fun year.  Could be similar to the Trent Green, Priest Holmes years.  All offense, no defense

looks pretty close to me altho he was wrong on the record

Didn't take a Rhodes scholar to determine the Defense was going to be shit. 

On 8/9/2018 at 5:42 PM, gochiefsgo said:

Yeah but Eddie Kennison and a cast of no name wide receivers does not equal the absolute firepower the Chiefs are giving Mahomes the keys to this year. Bombs away. It’s been setup this year for a record breaking offensive season. We will see if they can eclipse that amazing season offensively. I think they will. 

I was way the hell off on the win loss totals but at least right about this!!! 

Archived