Mitch Holthas said Oline looks bad

This has been MO of this group since Andy Heck started coaching them.  Very inconsistent. Good one week, bad the next. 

Fact he said it’s been a problem all camp long is concerning unless we want to give Mahomes a lesson in getting beat up. 

I've said in the past that the Oline was average. Not a single player is what I would consider Top 10 at their position. They look okay against lesser defenses but will get pushed around against the better ones. The only solace we can take is that they do tend to play more toward their ceiling as the season goes on.

No matter what if we have Cam Erving starting we are in trouble. The guy is trash, and shows what we got if he can't be beat out. I was hoping to see him arriving at camp, in a contract year looking in the best shape of his life. Was displeased to see him looking the same as last year, soft and sloppy, no change. 

May be it means our pass rush is better than expected ?

Frankly I have never really liked our OL in this regime except for the first year. Most players don't progress enough with the current coaching. However I still think we have an average OL considering the front 7s in the AFC West. They tend to crumble in clutch though. 

1 minute ago, CHiefSP said:

This could be a major problem all year.  I’m just confined to the notion that this year is going to be frustrating to watch at times. 

You guys do realize our OL was what, top 10 in pressures allowed/not allowed last year all while paving the way for the league's leading rusher, right?

I don't disagree that 2018 is a transition year, especially on defense, but let's cut the shit based on 2 series on offense in the pre-season.

Had we gone out and scored 2 offensive touchdowns and looked amazing all of you would be saying "Ya, we looked good, but it's just the pre-season."

13 minutes ago, dksww said:

You guys do realize our OL was what, top 10 in pressures allowed/not allowed last year all while paving the way for the league's leading rusher, right?

I don't disagree that 2018 is a transition year, especially on defense, but let's cut the shit based on 2 series on offense in the pre-season.

Had we gone out and scored 2 offensive touchdowns and looked amazing all of you would be saying "Ya, we looked good, but it's just the pre-season."

I’m just stating the obvious.  But, it’s entirely possible that the O line has actually regressed since last year, we’ll see.  A lot of their success will be dependent on Mahomes success and vice versa.  It’s only one meaningless preseason game, so let’s see if we get the same shit next week.

14 minutes ago, dksww said:

Our line has showed real promise every season and also regressed within that every season.  I expect the same inconsistency to develop this year although clearly they aren’t in sync yet for the upside   Again maybe I’m way off base, but Ive got a hunch Andy kind of set his young offense up to fail a bit last night.            This last week of training camp is a real grind after playing a game. He can use this. We will see  as the starters get some real PT over the next two weeks.  

14 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

I’m just stating the obvious.  But, it’s entirely possible that the O line has actually regressed since last year, we’ll see.  A lot of their success will be dependent on Mahomes success and vice versa.  It’s only one meaningless preseason game, so let’s see if we get the same shit next week.

Stop it.  You can't tell dick based on 2 series on offense of the first pre-season game.

7 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Our line has showed real promise every season and also regressed within that every season.  I expect the same inconsistency to develop this year although clearly they aren’t in sync yet for the upside   Again maybe I’m way off base, but Ive got a hunch Andy kind of set his young offense up to fail a bit last night.            This last week of training camp is a real grind after playing a game. He can use this. We will see  as the starters get some real PT over the next two weeks.  

How would he set the offense up to fail?  By telling the O line not to block?  It’s inexplicable to me why any HC at the pro level would “set” an offense up to fail intentionally.  Now, if you’re referring to the game plan being more conservative, that makes sense.  But even a conservative game plan requires effective protection from the line.  

10 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I dont' see how being top 10 in pressures not allowed and having the league's leading rusher is a regression.  Half the sacks they did give up last year were Alex Smith being Alex Smith.

9 hours ago, dhitter said:

I've said in the past that the Oline was average. Not a single player is what I would consider Top 10 at their position. They look okay against lesser defenses but will get pushed around against the better ones. The only solace we can take is that they do tend to play more toward their ceiling as the season goes on.

Schwartz is easily in the top 3 at his spot.

the rest are poop.

48 minutes ago, wilkie said:

Hunt only carried the ball one time. The O line needs time to gel.   My concern is the secondary.  Brandon Weden shredded them.  David Amerson had a horrible night. That 19  yard penalty was a killer

Berry wasn’t back their directing. That will help, but yes, Amerson looks like what some said he was. Maybe Nelson will win the spot?

1 hour ago, dksww said:

I dont' see how being top 10 in pressures not allowed and having the league's leading rusher is a regression.  Half the sacks they did give up last year were Alex Smith being Alex Smith.

Alex saw ghosts, but those ghosts were almost always derived from previous pressure, especially in that game. And also keep in mind Alex’s mobility also bailed the oline out at times.  I think that’s a wash. Most pertenant to pressure was the Alex  Smith dink and dunk offense. To take advantage of Mahomes skills we will need more play action. Andy’s great at that kind of stuff so it will improve. 

Nelson might beat out Amerson, but that doesn't solve the CB problem.  Three will be on the field for most plays and unless some rookie steps up, Amerson will be picked on consistently.  Remember how Bartee was targeted every time the other team had a critical play?  We've seen his rodeo before.   Didn't like the Amerson signing.....still don't.

Archived