Remember How Marty's Last Year Started?

First game of preseason. Chiefs vs. the Super Bowl Champion Packers.

Chiefs rolled. The starters annihilated the Packers. The D line was unblockable. Even normally sober analysts were predicting Chiefs to the SB.

They looked unbeatable.

Then, during the REAL season, the wheels came off. They finished a disappointing 7 - 9 and Marty bailed.

That's how much stock you can put on preseason game 1 performance.

12 hours ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

First game of preseason. Chiefs vs. the Super Bowl Champion Packers.

Chiefs rolled. The starters annihilated the Packers. The D line was unblockable. Even normally sober analysts were predicting Chiefs to the SB.

They looked unbeatable.

Then, during the REAL season, the wheels came off. They finished a disappointing 7 - 9 and Marty bailed.

That's how much stock you can put on preseason game 1 performance.

I actually vividly remember this. The 97 defense was unbelievably dominant and didn’t give up a single second half TD for an NFL record 10 straight games. Think about that!  And we go out after that and added Pro Bowler Chester McGlockton.  That first preseason game our pass rush looked like a jail break to the QB. We looked like the 85 Bears. 

Ultimately the Mile High Meltdown became a microcosm of that season and ended Marty’s era.  But for one week I was positive 19-0 was possible.  ? 

5 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

The fact that you are referencing Marty says more about the franchise than about Andy Reid or the team......oof

He was using one single pre-season game as an example of how pre-season is meaningless.

You don't read so good, do you?

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

The fact that you are referencing Marty says more about the franchise than about Andy Reid or the team......oof

My point is that neither an outstanding nor disastrous performance in the first preseason game is any indication of how well or poorly a team will perform during the regular season.

Good or bad, it's just practice. 

12 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I actually vividly remember this. The 97 defense was unbelievably dominant and didn’t give up a single second half TD for an NFL record 10 straight games. Think about that!  And we go out after that and added Pro Bowler Chester McGlockton.  That first preseason game our pass rush looked like a jail break to the QB. We looked like the 85 Bears. 

Ultimately the Mile High Meltdown became a microcosm of that season and ended Marty’s era.  But for one week I was positive 19-0 was possible.  ? 

You and I remember it exactly the same way. 

Didn’t the Lions or Browns go like 4-0 in a preseason and then lose most if not all the regular season games? The Spurrier Redskins looked like a favorite and then sucked too. One game is worthless. Four can be too. Just escape healthy and work the fundamentals and chemistry.

2 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Didn’t the Lions or Browns go like 4-0 in a preseason and then lose most if not all the regular season games? The Spurrier Redskins looked like a favorite and then sucked too. One game is worthless. Four can be too. Just escape healthy and work the fundamentals and chemistry.

Seems like the Chiefs of the 80s used to do this. We’d play to win and encourage apathetic fan base and then suck when the other teams actually cared. You just can’t put much stock in preseason as we’ve got zero idea what coaches real goal is from week to week  

That said we are a team in major transition and still a work in progress on defense personnel wise.  I expect things are gonna look rough at times this first third of the season and we play a brutal schedule to boot. We just can hopefully do enough in to not play ourselves out of  a chance at playoff run in December.  If we get any luck with injuries we could really be a major problem for any team late in the year. 

On 8/11/2018 at 12:52 PM, dksww said:

He was using one single pre-season game as an example of how pre-season is meaningless.

You don't read so good, do you?

Well.

LOL- cheezus rice......If you are going to troll, do so with your grammar intact.

And you did not read my response very well if you had to write that response.

On 8/11/2018 at 1:09 AM, Mloe68 said:

Have you ever heard Sharpe talk about that game?  He said he a 58 were actually good friends, but Sharpe was trying to get into his head and throw him off his game and DT just imploded. I think Sharpe was saying something to the effect of “I fucked your girl” and was going into detail. 

On 8/12/2018 at 9:12 AM, CHiefSP said:

Was just thinking the same.  The clown is looking for attention.

It's been my experience on these discussion boards that the person who says something snarky is the one looking for attention

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

Have you ever heard Sharpe talk about that game?  He said he a 58 were actually good friends, but Sharpe was trying to get into his head and throw him off his game and DT just imploded. I think Sharpe was saying something to the effect of “I fucked your girl” and was going into detail. 

I can't believe after all these years that Ive never heard that story before. But considering how Bubby Brister was killing us and throw in the trash talking and maybe it explains that implosion a little better. Hard to believe a little more than a year later DT was gone forever. 

On 8/11/2018 at 6:00 PM, Mloe68 said:

Seems like the Chiefs of the 80s used to do this. We’d play to win and encourage apathetic fan base and then suck when the other teams actually cared. You just can’t put much stock in preseason as we’ve got zero idea what coaches real goal is from week to week  

That said we are a team in major transition and still a work in progress on defense personnel wise.  I expect things are gonna look rough at times this first third of the season and we play a brutal schedule to boot. We just can hopefully do enough in to not play ourselves out of  a chance at playoff run in December.  If we get any luck with injuries we could really be a major problem for any team late in the year. 

I like your analysis. It's a scenario I have thought about also.  With a young team jelling and gaining confidence and a first year QB phenom who still has a lot to learn, it is a very good possiblity, especially with such a rough schedule early, easing up a bit later in the season. 

All of these theories are based on the assumption that the team that starts the season will remain intact without serious injuries. Since injuries affect every team, the whole thing becomes kind of a crapshoot, no matter how much we banter over on these forums.  The loss of a player at any key position would do in just about any team.  I like our youth, though.  Also our depth and versatility at some positions.  If we really knew the outcome by some formula, we wouldn't actually need to play games.  We could tear down all the stadiums and make them into homeless shelters.

Agreed. We have had more injuries to good players that I would prefer over the last 4 years and still owned the division. Andy, Smith and Sutton are easy whipping boys and deservedly so sometimes. But losing you entire D line or 3 of you 5 Oline starters will may you play less aggressive. Too much many DBs on the field or too many dump off passes are frustrating, but you got to do what you can to give yourself a chance to win. Losing your QB to a monster hit because you are trying to hit a home tune or giving up a 60 yard TD because you went after the QB have to be part of the plan.

Now if we have great protection and a dominate pass rush, go for it. But we have had neither. This group coup have both if the injury bug doesn’t retail us. I think Kpass and Speaks will only get better. The interior line will only get better. The arrow is pointing up regardless of our struggles this year.

Archived