Iowa Kid Balled Out Last Night

Every year I pick out a kid to root for that is a long shot to make the team but shows promise. I think I found this year's selection in this Niemann kid from Iowa. As soon as he was inserted into the lineup, he caught my eye with his vision and aggressiveness. I can see why he's getting some buzz in training camp. While I think he'll probably end up on the practice squad at best, I was really impressed. He's got drafted guys ahead of him (O'Daniel and Eligwe) so he won't get the roster protection these guys have. He's a little undersized but I really liked the way he stuck his head in there. I thought it was ironic that he was wearing #56 since he reminded me a little of a young DJ with his nose for the football. I'm sure O'Daniel will get a first look at replacing Sorensen as the nickel backer but I think Niemann could play that role too based on the speed I saw. Would like to see him in coverage a little too. Any Iowa fans out there know if he played much coverage in college?

His younger brother Nick (6'4" 235lbs) is only a So. and will actually be replacing Ben in the starting lineup this fall. Was told he is a bigger and faster version of Ben. Excited to see what Ben can do with more playing time. I can tell you one thing...nobody will out work him.

Archived