If you missed game. interesting takes from other boards. Ughhh Eligwe.

Winner: Speaks looked really good in his first NFL game. He needs some polish, but he did well.
Loser: Eligwe looked lost a lot of the time. His lack of surety kept him from making some key tackles.
Winners: Ellis and Amaro both had good games. Ellis made some key catches in the second half.
Losers: The left side of our offensive line and Tim Wright (TE). Their pass blocking was abysmal.
Winner: Ben Niemann gets the stud award for his LB play.
Loser: Algemon Brown for a dropping your one pass and making us all say, "He’ll be cut."
There’s more, but these are my highlight Winners and Losers.

Posted  by PJCasselman  on Aug 10, 2018 | 1:51 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xavier Williams didn't play a whole lot. But when he did, we were blowing their shit up.

Bailey looked good. More active. More explosive. Saw that. Now sit him down and let’s get a look at that Purcell kid and give him some playing time. Check. And Jenkins. And guys I never heard of.

These games are more about the guys fighting for those last few spots on the roster. And we’re looking good, there. More bright spots than I expected. Kpass looks good. Speaks looks good (although his finishes look a lot like Tamba’s. Get ahold. KEEP ahold, dammit.)

You only think you're alone.

================================

I'm just the opposite. Saw some very encouraging signs.

Speaks and Kpass are close to the same stage, which basically brings us 2 new (improved and improving) EDGE threats plus the return of Ford. That’s 3 at least decent not-Justin-Houston players, where there was only the 1 Zombo, last season. Our new NT knows how to get upfield. Bailey looks more explosive (Wonder what his playing weight is, now). I already had a good idea about the kind of player Jenkins is. He’ll be fine in the rotation.

Purcell was in there almost the whole game, I think. T.Y. McGill was out there a lot. These are guys who’ll be lucky to make the team. With some of those guys, you’re just looking for them to do something good, with zero expectations. Even then, a schmuck like me is likely to misunderstand what I’m seeing.

The game started with a 3-and-out, AFAIC. The rest was just extra practice. I’d actually rather see that than see them actually get the 3-and-out. So I actually got to see what they COULD do, and then the unit that needed the most reps got the needed reps.

You never really know what you’ve got, team-wise, until you see a full game that actually counts. Unlike you, I’m pretty encouraged. X Williams is a good fit for a more active front. Bailey looks like someone fed him a bottle of 5-hour energy and a Red Bull before the game. The new EDGE guys are PHYSICAL. And don’t be surprised to see either one of them lined up at 4- or 5-tech inside of Houston or Ford, neither of whom were on the field near long enough for us to see the deadlier (more exotic) hybrid fronts I see in store for this group.

Speaks and Kpass score high in versatility. Both are on the 5-tech side of OLB. Both are legitimately DL size.

If anything, I’m more concerned about the secondary. But if my hot taek on the D front is correct, we’ll be OK in the secondary.

---------------------------------------------------

Eligwe's first game with the green-dot helmet. He was a little unsure of himself.

Smith didn’t inspire confidence. Niemann was a huge surprise, to me. You’d think I’d’ve heard of him from training camp, but training camp reports this summer were not very high-quality. All distractions. I don’t want to see 3 "Who you got?" receiver slobbers and 0 "Who ya got?" deep drills into guys like Speaks and Kpass and X. Williams and Bailey and… 2 fluff pieces on Chris Jones’s personality. Nothing serious about the line play, imho.

Need to diversify my football sources. Guys are working hard, but maybe not working smart. But see the same thing with YouTubers, like RGR. Bunch of fluff. Not much substance. 5 pieces on Rags and Hitch. 0 pieces on the front line, where it all starts.

You only think you're alone.

--------------------------------------------------------------

To look on the positive side of things, here were some of my winners from yesterday.

Travis Kelce (but what else is new)

Chris Jones (but what else is new)

Patrick Mahomes (got poor pass protection and still didn’t force any bad throws, really conservative playcalling)

Demarcus Robinson

Breeland Speaks (not great, but not a bad start to playing a new position)

Tanoh Kpassagnon (no sacks but rushed some throws and held up well)

Gehrig Dieter (made the most of his chances)

Ben Niemann

Xavier Williams

Kahlil McKenzie (pass protection was really solid outside of the occasional spin move he dealt with, drove defenders back for Darrel Williams to run past)

Darrel Williams

Chase Litton

Byron Pringle

Alex Ellis

Jace Amaro

The only clear loser I think I saw was Jehu Chesson. He’s on the roster bubble and really didn’t show much to prove he’ll be a factor outside special teams.

Posted  by thelovebat  on Aug 10, 2018 | 9:24 AM

---------------------------------------

Losers - Incompletrius and Terrance Smith.

Harris got ripped by Reid in the post-game for his blocking performance and Terrance Smith just looked flat-out awful in person. Perhaps it wasn’t as bad as it seemed, I’ll have to go back and watch the game, but man he looked bad from where I was sitting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

PJCasselman

That wasn't the starting defense

There were evaluating tonight. Ford got held on that long run. Mugged is more like it. Eligwe and Terrance Smith played like backups to backups. The run defense will be much better than what you saw tonight.

Posted  by PJCasselman  on Aug 10, 2018 | 2:08 AM

------------------------------------------------

ugh.  Did u just post the comments from an AP article?  That's not a board, one.  That's like posting the comments from youtube.  And 2, wtf???   lol we've hit a new low.  

How about instead of reacting to the moron AP commenters, we discuss the staff turnover at AP now that Joel seems to have gone missing (i assume they murdered him for not being able to write an article, which was necessary though pretty harsh).  

Better or worse?  

My opinion:

The good:  the new guy running things is better.  I like a few of the new writers.  Matt Lane and Craig Stout.  I think i have their names right.  They at least have potential even if it's pretty rough right now.  Still better than Chiefs Digest.

The bad:  Seth is now behind a paywall, and i ain't paying.  Mostly cause I'm not a sucker.

The ugly:  all the rest of the writers and all of the commenters.

Archived