Orlando Scandrick

3 hours ago, dksww said:

It's at least a body to throw into the mix for depth.  He's not a great player, but he's certainly better than Terrance Mitchell or Phillip Gaines ever were.

Let's not give up on Amerson, either.  

Agreed. Amerson is getting picked on a bit, but its in part due to our non existent pass rush so far. Bub Suttons specialty. 1 sack in 2 games and it came from a NT. The first preseason game Amerson got flagged for 2 total bullshit calls.

Not saying he's great, but hes not as bad as he's being made out to be. He did look pretty dumb on that double move he got smoked on friday night though.

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Agreed. Amerson is getting picked on a bit, but its in part due to our non existent pass rush so far. Bub Suttons specialty. 1 sack in 2 games and it came from a NT. The first preseason game Amerson got flagged for 2 total bullshit calls.

Not saying he's great, but hes not as bad as he's being made out to be. He did look pretty dumb on that double move he got smoked on friday night though.

He did, but he didn't play last year so it might take him a bit to get going.

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

It’s not Sutton’s scheme.  He inherited a team ranked 29th in sacks in 2012. And his first three years here Sutton’s defenses were 7th, 5th and 4th in sacks   

Amerson has generally had a very solid camp according to all reports. He was laughably bad on that double move but I’m willing to give him a legit chance before I judge his play. I think in a Sean Smith type role outside he can be effective.  

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

It’s not Sutton’s scheme.  He inherited a team ranked 29th in sacks in 2012. And his first three years here Sutton’s defenses were 7th, 5th and 4th in sacks   

Amerson has generally had a very solid camp according to all reports. He was laughably bad on that double move but I’m willing to give him a legit chance before I judge his play. I think in a Sean Smith type role outside he can be effective.  

Yes and the last 2 years they've been 28th and 24th in sacks. So theres evidence that it may be his scheme as well.

Its a win win either way. If the problem with our defense was really our lack of personnel, then they should improve. If they dont improve, it can no longer be blamed on the players and he will get fired. Then we can hire a coordinator who doesnt have great grandchildren.

The injuries to Eric Berry, Dee Ford, Tamba Hali and Justin Houston have crippled this defense the past couple of years. Hard to just throw out subs and expect no dropoff in production. I am frustrated that Houston claimed to be 100% last year going into the season but clearly was not a dominant pass rusher. Still hurt or his best years behind him?...this season is a prove it year for him and Ford is likely gone after this year anyway. A lot of hope riding on Speaks, Chris Jones and KPass to step up and fill the void.

10 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yes and the last 2 years they've been 28th and 24th in sacks. So theres evidence that it may be his scheme as well.

Its a win win either way. If the problem with our defense was really our lack of personnel, then they should improve. If they dont improve, it can no longer be blamed on the players and he will get fired. Then we can hire a coordinator who doesnt have great grandchildren.

Houston was out one of those years and not quite himself the other. Besides him you have Ford one of the years and Zombo. Exactly what scheme gives you a good pass rush with that mess. 

10 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Houston was out one of those years and not quite himself the other. Besides him you have Ford one of the years and Zombo. Exactly what scheme gives you a good pass rush with that mess. 

One that adjusts to those deficiencies in personnel with creative playcalling and well designed blitzes.

One that does whatever it takes to harass the QB and make him uncomfortable.

One that identifies areas we are struggling in game and makes adjustments accordingly, as opposed to refusing to move corners around, refusing to bring more pressure, dropping your 22 million dollar a year pass rusher into coverage, etc.

One that isnt Bob Suttons. So yes I am saying that a better coordinator would have gotten better results with the same players. Instead of one who stands there with that look like the dementia is actively taking over.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

One that adjusts to those deficiencies in personnel with creative playcalling and well designed blitzes.

One that identifies areas we are struggling in game and makes adjustments accordingly, as opposed to refusing to move corners around, refusing to bring more pressure, dropping your 22 million dollar a year pass rusher into coverage, etc.

One that isnt Bob Suttons. So yes I am saying that a better coordinator would have gotten better results with the same players. Instead of one who stands there with that look like the dementia is actively taking over.

Without a compentent secondary or more than 1 pass rusher vanilla is about all you got. And it was simplifying and figuring that out during the stretch run last year that helped us win division title with a very limited defense. IE Sutton did adjust and produced clear results last December, especially vs Chargers and Raiders (and he didn’t even have Peters in that one).  Tell your age bias to Wade Phillips.  Only kidding  

Then again I did hear an argument about Sutton that resonates with me. It does seem like he doesn’t like to start young players   And if that is the case as we try to rebuild that unit on the fly, it’s a compelling case for a change   I’d rather live with mistakes now and develop players with higher upside  Same reason we traded a very solid QB to go with Mahomes  

Plus Alex Smith was so reliable that Andy could game plan wins vs the mid and low tier teams by simply telling Sutton to do whatever it tskes to keep teams under 20 points or whatever  And he did it  

Im not a fan and I agree he’s not likely the future of this defense. I’d put Sutton and Andy Heck on the absolute hot seat in 2018. (Heck has far fewer excuses than Sutton for erratic play in his unit) 

But right now we need to see some players actually emerge as pass rushing threats outside of Houston. If that happens and defense doesn’t improve even with mediocre at best secondary, Andy’s decision should be easy.  

I like the signing.  He's not a game changer but he's a solid veteran.  For 1.5 million he's definitely solid depth to have at a position of possible question marks.  Hopefully Tremon and the the starting 3 play lights out and there is no need for Scandrick.

On 8/19/2018 at 10:00 AM, dksww said:

It's at least a body to throw into the mix for depth.  He's not a great player, but he's certainly better than Terrance Mitchell or Phillip Gaines ever were.

Let's not give up on Amerson, either.  

Maybe he'll replace Amerson.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Maybe he'll replace Amerson.

No, it's not that kind of signing.  Depth only.  4th or 5th CB option at best. 

Don't give up on Amerson so quickly.  He didn't play last year due to injury, let's give him more than 2 pre-season games to throw in the towel. 

Reality we had to sign Revis out of complete desperation last year should have keyed Veach in to the need to bring in another legit talent. I think Veach just messed this one up. But again short draft picks and knowing they wanted out of Peters scenario hamstrung him. I expect this to be priority one next offseason. 

9 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Reality we had to sign Revis out of complete desperation last year should have keyed Veach in to the need to bring in another legit talent. I think Veach just messed this one up. But again short draft picks and knowing they wanted out of Peters scenario hamstrung him. I expect this to be priority one next offseason. 

Weren't the rumors that we were in on the other Fuller and Trumaine Johnson. Maybe they just struck out. 

10 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Weren't the rumors that we were in on the other Fuller and Trumaine Johnson. Maybe they just struck out. 

No doubt that's possible. And if so then I'd credit Veach for not panicking and signing someone we didn't want to a large deal. Again the move to Mahomes makes us long haul thinkers now.  I guess my thought is I have a hard time believing we couldn't have targeted a corner with that 2nd rounder and moved around to make it happen if need be. But again maybe they just loved Speaks. So really I don't know for sure what I'm talking about here is what your saying. LOL 

Bashaud Breeland still hasn't signed anywhere, either.  I know the KC media wrote that off as soon as he left St. Joe, but the reality is he didn't sign with any of the 6 other teams he visitied with.

I can't see any one team being out of it more than anyone else since he didn't sign at any visit.

Also, there could be some surprise cuts looming similar to the Bengals Safety that was cut yesterday.

9 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Not a huge Sutton fan and hate the 2 Dlinemen sets, but we but we had the #2, #3 and #7 points allowed defenses in the league. Sutton’s defenses carried us even with a ton of defensive injuries.

Last year was was a down year but we were still #15 in points allowed. I would be pleased with an upgrade, but to say he is is terrible is inconsistent with the facts. Sutton and Reid are easy whipping boys for angry fans but we do seem to have short memories. Just my opinion and it’s probably wrong. Beat you to it. 😁

51 minutes ago, dksww said:

Bashaud Breeland still hasn't signed anywhere, either.  I know the KC media wrote that off as soon as he left St. Joe, but the reality is he didn't sign with any of the 6 other teams he visitied with.

I can't see any one team being out of it more than anyone else since he didn't sign at any visit.

Also, there could be some surprise cuts looming similar to the Bengals Safety that was cut yesterday.

No way do we pay breeland a 3 year deal unless it's funny money and we can get out of it in 1 year.  Rebuild that D through the draft.

40 minutes ago, xen said:

No way do we pay breeland a 3 year deal unless it's funny money and we can get out of it in 1 year.  Rebuild that D through the draft.

yeah, I have to keep reminding myself to have guarded enthusiasm on the 2018 season because it seems like with just a few tweeks here and there we could still be a heavy playoff contender.

However, if they can't get the defense fixed this season, Sutton will be gone and they will add more talent for the 2019 season.

Archived