Thoughts on LB Ukeme Eligwe?

Chiefs don't like to break the bank on older guys but prefer to draft good athletes and then let their coaching staff work their magic on them for a few years.  From a long term and historical perspective (and economic) that is the best way, at least for people learning new positions or coming from smaller schools.  If a guy comes from a huge program and does not gel at the NFL level after one year, then forget him.  O-line players take 5 years to reach their peak, and great patience is needed.  There is no hard and fast rule.  It is too early to give up on Eligwe.  When the Chiefs give up on him, it will be time. We can talk our asses off, but the front office people and the coaches have their asses and their jobs on the line.

8 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Chiefs don't like to break the bank on older guys but prefer to draft good athletes and then let their coaching staff work their magic on them for a few years.  From a long term and historical perspective (and economic) that is the best way, at least for people learning new positions or coming from smaller schools.  If a guy comes from a huge program and does not gel at the NFL level after one year, then forget him.  O-line players take 5 years to reach their peak, and great patience is needed.  There is no hard and fast rule.  It is too early to give up on Eligwe.  When the Chiefs give up on him, it will be time. We can talk our asses off, but the front office people and the coaches have their asses and their jobs on the line.

lol did you just say if a guy from a big school isn't good after 1 year, cut him?

I'm certain that's not what you meant, because that would be ridiculous.  If a GM did that every year he'd be out of the NFL very quickly...

37 minutes ago, xen said:

lol did you just say if a guy from a big school isn't good after 1 year, cut him?

I'm certain that's not what you meant, because that would be ridiculous.  If a GM did that every year he'd be out of the NFL very quickly...

It does sound ridiculous at first glance, and it IS RIDICULOUS for positions that take some years to develop.  What I meant was that guys from big programs in a national spotlight and who were starters in college should be a lot further along toward NFL readiness.  Some GM's like to draft them for that reason, but they turn out to be busts about as often as lesser known draftees.  As an example, just look at the failed big school QB's, including our own previous Todd Blackledge.  If they don't at least show major progress toward starting after a full year and two training camps, then they either stink at the NFL level, are too dumb for it, or have character/motivation issues.  But super physically talented, raw players from small programs take longer to coach up.  On a position basis, for the more complex positions like receiver and CB and O linemen especially, it could be two or even three seasons before you find out whether a guy is going to break out or not.  Plus the big name draftees often have a big head and command big contracts that most teams cannot afford if they already have some stars with big contracts coming up...like Mahomes in a few years. Teams are annihilated for years by sticking with guys they made big commitments to who turn out to be chumps.  If you have a really good coach and staff, they should be able to develop guys who other teams might not, or at least know sooner whether they can.  So, I'll stick with my thought for now.

2 hours ago, xen said:

How long did it take DJ to develop?  He came from a pretty big school.

I was at the Broncos game last year in Denver when a lot of the backups got to play.  I had really good seats in the end zone.  I honestly thought he was a defensive back due to his number 45 and how unbelievably small he looked.  I know what his weight is on the website, but I don't believe it.   He just doesn't have the size to play linebacker in my opinion.  Maybe outside in a 4-3. 

eligwe.jpg

It will be interesting to see what happens with both him and Jehu Chesson...  I am personally much higher on Jehu (he hustles his ass off and I like his hands), but there's a chance he gets cut too!

The fact that these guys are getting pushed either shows great depth or poor quality...  we'll see once the season starts!!

1 hour ago, xen said:

He was a position switch project to MLB so probably too soon to give up on him.  Like him better than Terrance Smith but that's not saying much.  Niemann is already better than either of them.  

Yeah, I hope that they don’t try to sneak Niemann onto the PS.

58 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Yeah, I hope that they don’t try to sneak Niemann onto the PS.

That would be a big mistake.  Boy I'm glad that Seattle tried to sneak Harrison Butker onto the PS.  That will go down in history as one of the dumbest things for Seattle (and one of the luckiest for KC)

2 hours ago, xen said:

He was a position switch project to MLB so probably too soon to give up on him.  Like him better than Terrance Smith but that's not saying much.  Niemann is already better than either of them.  

I was hearing some buzz about Niemann from coaches during training camp which is at least encouraging. Many times a guy who looks good in the 4th quarter against another teams scrubs ends up being complete fools gold. 

Archived