Throw by Mahomes tonight

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

There's always a little luck on a play like that.  But hitting an open receiver in stride is not a hail mary.  He recognized that he was open and made the throw. 

I saw the play, that's not what happened, i know everyone wants Mahomes to be a great QB and he might turn into one, but that play was mostly wishful thinking

on his part and Hill running to catch a ball that was wide of the target, fortunately, because if it had been on target, it may have been defended or intercepted, lets

try to be accurate in our assessments ..... Hail Mary  ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Hill adjusted to the ball, but he had several steps on the defender.  That ball wasn't going to be intercepted unless somebody had a rocket up their ass. 

Even Mahomes admitted in a post game interview when he threw the ball, the defenders were "even" with Hill, so he was hoping Hill would out run

the defenders and move to the ball, Hill was able to do that.  I was happy as any Chief's fan that they scored a touchdown on a lucky play like that,

but it was what it was.

Hoping the fastest man in the NFL outruns people isn't luck.  And he threw a ball where no one but Hill could catch it.  Sure there's luck on any deep completion, but it's a designed route.  That's why they run them.  He had time to step up in the pocket and make the throw.  It's not a hail mary.  It's a completion of a fly route between the strongest arm in the NFL to  perhaps the fastest player in the NFL 

3 minutes ago, xen said:

I've seen lots of Hail Mary's.  That was not one.  Looked like a long post route to me.  I only saw it the one time live though so i guess i could be wrong.

you're old, you don't see too well

14 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Hoping the fastest man in the NFL outruns people isn't luck.  And he threw a ball where no one but Hill could catch it.  Sure there's luck on any deep completion, but it's a designed route.  That's why they run them.  He had time to step up in the pocket and make the throw.  It's not a hail mary.  It's a completion of a fly route between the strongest arm in the NFL to  perhaps the fastest player in the NFL 

I guess i could say that the "design" of the play was long over by the time the ball was in the air, but you are not gonna buy that either, you want to believe it was

a calculated, well-designed, well executed play, that he stepped up not to avoid the pass rush, but that was part of the plan and that he telepathically guided Hill

to run sideways to catch the ball, fine by me.

Hill adjusted to the ball in the air.  There wasn't anything telepathic about it.  He's an NFL receiver.  You're not going to throw a 69 yard pass and hit people between the numbers.  Yes there was luck.  But a hail mary is intentionally throwing a jump ball with the hope of a miracle.  A hail mary has an equal chance of being intercepted as caught.  This wasn't that.  But fine by me if you want to think that. 

28 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Exactly. If it were otherwise, he would not  have been completing that play throughout camp.  Truth is that we have a weapon that strikes fear into any team...and trying to defend against it will not only be unsuccessful but will open up the running game and the short routes and, especially, Kelce.

The thread title was "Throw by Mahomes", Hill deserves more credit for the reception, no doubt about that.  And we don't and won't know what was in the mind of the

quarterback when he heaved it as hard as he could to a covered receiver (he admitted that)  after dodging the pass rush with no time left before he was about to be sacked..... A Hail Mary pass is a very long forward pass in American football, made in desperation with only a small chance of success, especially at or near the end of a half. The criteria for that definition were clearly met on that throw. 

14 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Exactly. If it were otherwise, he would not  have been completing that play throughout camp.  Truth is that we have a weapon that strikes fear into any team...and trying to defend against it will not only be unsuccessful but will open up the running game and the short routes and, especially, Kelce.

you have seen him complete that play throughout camp???????  holy smokes, i stand corrected

1 hour ago, Evad said:

Even Mahomes admitted in a post game interview when he threw the ball, the defenders were "even" with Hill, so he was hoping Hill would out run

the defenders and move to the ball, Hill was able to do that.  I was happy as any Chief's fan that they scored a touchdown on a lucky play like that,

but it was what it was.

What he said was "I saw Hill even with them and it seems like anytime he's even with anyone he will get by them so I threw it out there and let him go get it."  In other words it was not a ball thrown grasping at straws hoping the right guy gets it as a Hail Mary is. The throw was purposeful and went exactly where he wanted it and exactly where he thought Tyreek and only Tyreek could make a play on it.

In short this was a QB recognizing a spot where his elite arm and his WRs elite speed could make a big play. It was caught in stride with nobody else even close to them. How in the world do you consider that luck?

Alls i know is

2 hours ago, Evad said:

Thanks for the entertaining discussion guys

We aims to please.  You're going to see that same play this year and not necessarily at the end of a half.  What we gonna call it then?

For instance, 4 verts is a staple play of the air raid that I'm sure Andy will run this year.  It's going to look very similiar but with maybe multiple guys going long.  

We saw a play few guys in the history of the NFL are capable of making. Whether it is luck, skill, or some combination of both, I think we can all honestly say no Chiefs QB has thrown a TD where the ball traveled nearly 70 yards in the air. Mahomes is going to be unlike any QB that has suited up in red.

While that throw was jaw dropping, what impressed me the most were his runs outside the pocket. I initially thought we would lose some of that when we traded Smith. Now I’m no so sure that we will. With the way teams will blitz Mahomes to “test” him, it’s nice to know he can make an occasional first down with his legs when the play breaks down.

5 hours ago, Evad said:

you have seen him complete that play throughout camp???????  holy smokes, i stand corrected

On Arrowhead Pride, I watch the animated gif's referenced in the articles from Twitter feeds, showing the best plays of the previous day at camp.  I can remember 4-5 similar to that, mainly to Hill.  None quite that long, but some 50 yarders.

You sound skeptical.  That play is most definitely in the playbook.  They will break that out at least once per game.  Just watch.

what the hell you want, that thing was in the air for somewhere close to 72 yards ( left hash to right numbers 63 yards downfield),  had he thrown it where you wanted it , it would of been a much more difficult catch, tossing it to the outside of the reciever, allowed hill to get his eyes on it and track it.. That was not a hail mary, it was a designed deep toss, that looked stupidly effortless. 

14 hours ago, xen said:

Alls i know is

We aims to please.  You're going to see that same play this year and not necessarily at the end of a half.  What we gonna call it then?

For instance, 4 verts is a staple play of the air raid that I'm sure Andy will run this year.  It's going to look very similiar but with maybe multiple guys going long.  

I loved that "everybody go long" play that happens in just about every kids pick up game ....

To all the others who joined in the discussion who do not know me, I've been on this board since it's inception, Xen knows this, but some

of you may not, I don't post near as often as I did in the past.  However, it is more interesting at times when a position contrary to popular belief is presented.

I really do thank all of you with your spirited and insightful  comments.

38 minutes ago, Evad said:

I loved that "everybody go long" play that happens in just about every kids pick up game ....

To all the others who joined in the discussion who do not know me, I've been on this board since it's inception, Xen knows this, but some

of you may not, I don't post near as often as I did in the past.  However, it is more interesting at times when a position contrary to popular belief is presented.

Debating football is fun so right or wrong I always appreciate legit thoughts. 

I just think this point is important because I believe this one play can actually have some impact how defenses play us at times. We’ve got rare pop the top off the defense potential.  I doubt a Hail Mary would have almost any impact beyond the one play. 

8 hours ago, Evad said:

I don't know what this guy is talking about.  I never heard a no "Evad".  That's probably not even your real name!

Everybody let this troll have it!!!!

Archived