Chiefs Poor Defense Could be a Good thing?

Realistically it would take a monumental coaching job to get a team with a 22 year old QB AND an incomplete defense to the playoffs.  But if we can keep Houston, Berry, Kelce, Hill and Mahomes healthy its certainly still possible.

Either way we really can’t lose this year as long as Mahomes progresses as far as I’m concerned. With a first and two second round picks we can really potentially upgrade defense next offseason  Earlier picks helps   And if we can get to playoffs that probably means some younger guys emerged around the fore mentioned above  

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Realistically it would take a monumental coaching job to get a team with a 22 year old QB AND an incomplete defense to the playoffs.  But if we can keep Houston, Berry, Kelce, Hill and Mahomes healthy its certainly still possible.

Either way we really can’t lose this year as long as Mahomes progresses as far as I’m concerned. With a first and two second round picks we can really potentially upgrade defense next offseason  Earlier picks helps   And if we can get to playoffs that probably means some younger guys emerged around the fore mentioned above  

This year is a bit of a sticky one.  We aren't ready to compete in the playoffs (seriously compete for a Super Bowl) but I still think this team can win 10 games and lose a playoff game.  The bad thing is, I think a 6-10 season would be better for the team long term because of the increased draft position.  6-2 at home and play .500 ball on the road gets you to 10 wins, and I think this team will do that. 

Only thing a poor def is good for is fantasy football.

I don't buy into "it's all about next year" 

Loosing is a habit, same for not doing your job!

True we don't seem to have the horses for the SB this year, but looking ahead is something for armchair QBs, not the team.

20 minutes ago, the Warparty said:

True we don't seem to have the horses for the SB this year, but looking ahead is something for armchair QBs, not the team.

let me guess....an instant gratification millennial ?

I am hoping the defense can show improvement once everyone is healthy. We have more issues right now with Ragland, Berry, Hitchens, Nelson....none of them major but we have yet to see the full #1s all playing together on defense. So truthfully, we don't know how good or bad this defense will be.

22 hours ago, the Warparty said:

So is "Losing"...

The rest of it, doesn't make very much sense....

Very important here is that we may have the  youngest skill position group in the NFL. And certainly the youngest group that has high level talent across the board.  

Mahomes 22, Hunt 23, Hill 24, Watkins 25, Kelce 28

This opens up a legit window as Mahomes develops for us to try and do the same with the defense at critical positions. We do not need to rush this thing like we have in other era's with 30 something year old QBs and questionable or older skill position veterans around him. We need a core group of playmakers on both sides of the ball to mature and grow together. Lock up those guys and have some in cheap rookie contracts while tactically resigning or signing veterans and not being afraid to trade or let descending players walk and get comp picks for them is key.

On that note we have elite level talents in Berry and Houston who are veterans on this team and still not 30 that need to be evaluated closely year to year to see if they are hitting that point or can sustain high level play into at least their early 30s. Be smart and not emotional about players. If those guys can still play at a high level at 32 they need to be here because they are as good as it gets as their positions. If not Veach needs to recognize and fleece other teams. It's the Patriots way and it works. 

Archived