George Iloka Released by Cinn

Bengals released S George Iloka.

Iloka's release saves the Bengals $5.6 million in cap space, though it also leaves $1.8 million in dead money. A mainstay in Cincinnati, the 28-year-old collected 80 tackles and one interception over 16 starts last year. It's been a rough offseason for safeties on the open market, though we're guessing Iloka won't take long to resurface. With Iloka out of the picture in Cincinnati, look for second-round rookie Jessie Bates to start at strong safety.
Related: Bengals

Stick with the young guys.  He's more of a strong safety hard hitting type, was playing out of position the last few years at free safety.  

Watts can be more of a single high guy for us.  No need to stunt his development by signing this guy.

According to Michael Gehlken of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, the Raiders "plan to make a run" at free agent S George Iloka.

Iloka has an obvious link to Oakland as the Raiders employ ex-Bengals DC Paul Guenther. Joining Oakland would also allow Iloka to reunite with former teammate Reggie Nelson. The 28-year-old was cut by Cincinnati on Sunday after being beaten out by second-round rookie Jessie Bates at Bengals training camp.
Related: Raiders

2 hours ago, FANATIC said:

According to Michael Gehlken of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, the Raiders "plan to make a run" at free agent S George Iloka.

Iloka has an obvious link to Oakland as the Raiders employ ex-Bengals DC Paul Guenther. Joining Oakland would also allow Iloka to reunite with former teammate Reggie Nelson. The 28-year-old was cut by Cincinnati on Sunday after being beaten out by second-round rookie Jessie Bates at Bengals training camp.
Related: Raiders

"Hum, he's over thirty and a pretty big contract . . .LET"S SIGN HIM!" - Chuckie

20 hours ago, Marleydawg said:

Cincy didn’t think so.

They drafted Jessie Bates in the draft this year and the Bengals are notorious for cutting guys that aren't what they see as key guys, and they feel they aren't living up to expectations for whatever reason.

I don't see Iloka as a guy that the Chiefs will have a lot of interest in.

1. They already have too much money tied up into the position.  That Sorensen deal is so, so fucking bad.

2.  Iloka is more of a roamer and isn't great at center fielding.  The Chiefs prefer interchangeable guys and he ain't it.

3.  I don't see them changing Berry's role to accommodate a subar SS.

4. Nah

Vikings signed S George Iloka, formerly of the Bengals, to a one-year contract.

Iloka flirted with the Raiders and Vikings, where both of his former defensive coordinators now coach. He joins a Minnesota defense that is completely stacked at all three levels and gives the team a third safety for sub-packages. Iloka is big enough where he could also play some dime linebacker. Iloka's addition isn't expected to have an impact on Andrew Sendejo's job.

On 8/23/2018 at 6:42 PM, liquidfriend said:

Cousins is an upgrade for Case Keenum and you can win a Super Bowl with him.

I get why Iloka is there, but can he play Guard?

I guess he's an upgrade.  Keenum made Minny's line look a lot better than it is by constantly getting the ball out faster than humanly possible.  Cousins under pressure is... well not good.  Keenum under pressure was actually pretty good.

I agree with Xen. Stick with the young guys.  A lot of research went into picking them.  Coach them up and let them do their thing.  Someone as good as Iloka will emerge from our group and will be a lot cheaper.  The presence of Iloka will only slow them down by getting them less reps.  I believe that approach is what the best contending teams do.  They don't buy band-aids.  That is a prescription for perpetual "also ran"- ness.  We've seen that enough in the past with the Chiefs to reject it outright.  Sometimes a band-aid is necessary, but I doubt this is the situation for it.

I believe that Reid and Veatch consider this a preparation year for a long run of success beginning in 2019.

7 hours ago, xen said:

I guess he's an upgrade.  Keenum made Minny's line look a lot better than it is by constantly getting the ball out faster than humanly possible.  Cousins under pressure is... well not good.  Keenum under pressure was actually pretty good.

The Vikings had some good key guys on that line a year ago that are no longer there.  They also had a coordinator that did well masking the flaws and balanced well.

Archived