Mahomes vs. Tyreek: Can Pattycakes overthrow the Cheetah?

In 2017, two singular talents came into close orbit - Patrick Mahomes and Tyreek Hill.  For the first year they were members of the same team, but did not play together.  In 2018, all that changes.

At first, few understood the significance of this titanic partnership.  We knew Tyreek runs really fast, and Mahomes throws really far, but did we truly grasp the magnitude of it?  I present that we did not.

Already this year glimpses of the conflict have begun to surface.  As the veteran presence, Tyreek was the first to give voice to the matter.  Sure, Mahomes has a strong arm... But can he overthrow the Cheetah?  Hill suggests not:

“Pat (Mahomes) is the first guy that I have played with that has the arm strength,” Hill said. “That’s not taking anything away from other quarterbacks I have played with, but Pat is something special.”  - Tyreek Hill

"No, I still don't think Pat can hit me in stride."  - Tyreek Hill 

“Aw man. Patty Cakes. He does have a strong arm, but I don’t think there is a quarterback that can overthrow me. It’s not even possible man.”  - Tyreek Hill

“No,” the speedy Hill said. “He cannot overthrow me. He would underthrow me."  - Tyreek Hill

In a PFT interview, Mike Florio sought a response from Patrick: 

FLORIO:  Can you overthrow Tyreek Hill?

MAHOMES: I think I can, but I haven't yet.  Anywhere I throw it it feels like the further I throw it the better chance he has of catching it, and hopefully we'll be able to utilize that this year.

After Mahomes launched a 69-yard artillery strike to Hill in game 2 of the preseason, the topic resurfaced:

"... at first I thought he was going to throw it in front of me, but he threw it behind me, so it kinda threw me offguard... I was able to make a play on it."  - Tyreek Hill 

"I told 10 if I'd have thrown a spiral he wouldn't have been able to get to it, but he disagreed with that."  - Pat Mahomes

Currently the question remains unsettled.  These two elite athletes remain locked in a colossal struggle, an unstoppable force vs an immovable object; the fastest receiver vs the strongest arm.  Chiefs fans want to know the answer, but will we ever?  Stay tuned as I track this gripping story in the following months.

I wrote it - it's a CTO original.  Could link to individual quotes, but that would be a pain.

I have been following this thread since OTA's and realized no one has compiled the full "conversation" in one place, and as it will likely continue thought it would be entertaining to start tracking it.  ☺

On 8/20/2018 at 1:01 PM, Smoulder said:

I wrote it - it's a CTO original.  Could link to individual quotes, but that would be a pain.

I have been following this thread since OTA's and realized no one has compiled the full "conversation" in one place, and as it will likely continue thought it would be entertaining to start tracking it.  ☺

Oh. Well good job then.

Archived