Biggest problem with Bob Sutton

This could be Dorsey too, but same point.

was listening to Petro this morning and I have to say I agree with him. Why do basically all of our defensive draft picks either sit their rookie year or barely play? 

Dee Ford sat for 2 years! Would have been maybe 3 if not for Houston’s knew injury. Gaines barely played his rookie year. Steven Nelson redshirted. Chris Jones only played bc Allen Bailey was out that entire year. Tanoh barely played (wasn’t ready). Murray redshirted.

Peters is the only defensive rookie who played a ton as a rookie. 

I really hope this changes bc I think we need to see a lot of this draft class out there playing, especially Armani Watts with this Sorenson injury.

Just now, reesebobby said:

Peters and Jones played because they were talented enough.  The rest of that group, sadly, is not that special. 

agreed but neither were the people they played behind.. they were supposed to be drafted to take those positions.. the first  3 picks   should at least be contributing on Sunday by 1/2 way through season

35 minutes ago, Sonder said:

This could be Dorsey too, but same point.

was listening to Petro this morning and I have to say I agree with him. Why do basically all of our defensive draft picks either sit their rookie year or barely play? 

Dee Ford sat for 2 years! Would have been maybe 3 if not for Houston’s knew injury. Gaines barely played his rookie year. Steven Nelson redshirted. Chris Jones only played bc Allen Bailey was out that entire year. Tanoh barely played (wasn’t ready). Murray redshirted.

Peters is the only defensive rookie who played a ton as a rookie. 

I really hope this changes bc I think we need to see a lot of this draft class out there playing, especially Armani Watts with this Sorenson injury.

I heard him mention this last night on KSHB and it's interesting. I'd rather live with a higher upside younger players mistakes as they develops than go with the more consistent weaker players. But that is indeed a philosophy of sorts. And i would think it impacts player development and thus the salary cap as well. I'd love to see some kind of reporting on which teams play their younger players the most. 

Maybe the Chiefs felt they had the starters already (DJ, Hali, Poe, etc.) and could afford to take on projects in the hope of training greater talent than a more ready but less physically talented player.  If Ware hadn't been hurt, would Hunt have played in the NE game where he was an instant success?  Speaks and Watts should be playing a lot of snaps as well as Nnadi.  Look for a rookie kick returner who also could get some time at CB.  Do other teams have that many rookie starters excepting those drafted higher in the first round?

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

agreed but neither were the people they played behind.. they were supposed to be drafted to take those positions.. the first  3 picks   should at least be contributing on Sunday by 1/2 way through season

They should be, but that's it's not Sutton's fault that Gaines sucks and Tanoh was a project. And Tanoh played behind one of the other guys on the list, Ford.  Murray, in part, played behind Gaines and Nelson.  So unless you're going to bench Peters and Houston,  two of the three are not going to start.  

I really can't stand Sutton, but I don't think you can blame him for not starting first year players that suck balls.  

Archived