Sammy Watkins

O catches for 0 yards in two preseason games.   Last week he was targeted 3 times.  2 of the 3 passes were behind him. The third one he dropped.     I think Mahomes not comfortable with him and does not look for him during progressions.  But I am still a little bit concerned

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is that he’s struggling having to learn all the WR positions that Andy demands. This is definitely a tough offense for WRs to learn.  

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 5 catch, 87 yard type game in tbe opener though. I just think that little of preseason stats.  Really like to see him make a few plays on Saturday though anyway.  As you suggest he’s gotta have or get the trust of Mahomes. 

1 hour ago, dksww said:

yep, complete bust.  won't catch a pass all year.

OR

the Chiefs' don't wanna tip their hand showing off their shiny new toy in meaningless pre-season games.

You decide.

yea thats it lol.. if you would listen to the people who actually go to practice and are in the locker room  its apparent that Watkins and PMII just have not clicked yet. Sammy  has yet to have a steller season with the other 2 teams he's been with so to date its all combine times and potential that has gotten him this far. I'm not calling him a bust he just very well may not be worth his paycheck.. thats a pretty high bar set for him. JMAC 2.0 if you will

29 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Sammy  has yet to have a steller season with the other 2 teams he's been with so to date its all combine times and potential that has gotten him this far. 

He's 18 yards short of having two 1000 yard receiving years.  Then he got hurt.  I'm not sure what stellar means, but he's been pretty good prior to the injury.  

Everything you say is true but he has played three quarters of football with no receptions.   Watching him on TV it seems he doesn't always finish his pass patterns and in the first game he looked lost in traffic.    The jury is still out on him in my opinion but I am willing to give him time to learn the offense.   In the meantime,  he has to get Patrick Mahomes attention.

2 minutes ago, wilkie said:

Everything you say is true but he has played three quarters of football with no receptions.   Watching him on TV it seems he doesn't always finish his pass patterns and in the first game he looked lost in traffic.    The jury is still out on him in my opinion but I am willing to give him time to learn the offense.   In the meantime,  he has to get Patrick Mahomes attention.

The jury is not out, he's proved to be a very good receiver in past seasons playing with awful qbs.  Just because he hasn't done anything in pre-season doesn't mean anything.

29 minutes ago, dksww said:

The jury is not out, he's proved to be a very good receiver in past seasons playing with awful qbs.  Just because he hasn't done anything in pre-season doesn't mean anything.

Yes it does. It means he has done nothing in pre season......sheesh. No getting bent out of shape over pre season. They work in things and use it for better practice reps with live competition and to use it to set up depth. We have seen the opposite where a player lights it up only to not do shit in the real games too.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

yea thats it lol.. if you would listen to the people who actually go to practice and are in the locker room  its apparent that Watkins and PMII just have not clicked yet. Sammy  has yet to have a steller season with the other 2 teams he's been with so to date its all combine times and potential that has gotten him this far. I'm not calling him a bust he just very well may not be worth his paycheck.. thats a pretty high bar set for him. JMAC 2.0 if you will

Remember, Alex Smith played for umpteen different HCs and OCs and it wasn't until he had consistency in HC and OC before he actually flourished. I know some will say he never flourished but he played pretty damn good for the Chiefs. Hopefully Watkins will also. If not, he's gone in two years.

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

He's 18 yards short of having two 1000 yard receiving years.  Then he got hurt.  I'm not sure what stellar means, but he's been pretty good prior to the injury.  

Stellar? Pro Bowl maybe?..top 10 WR in the league?.. he's been non of these Reading Comprehension Reese.. I'm questioning  if he will live up to his pay check.. thats it but maybe you'll comprehend this article..it makes my point  in anther way. you can read the entire article but here are some excerpts

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-heres-why-sammy-watkins-contract-is-a-game-changer-for-the-wr-market/

The most surprising deal belongs to Sammy Watkins, who got a three-year, $48 million contract with $30 million fully guaranteed from the Chiefs. The 2014 fourth-overall pick is being paid like an elite receiver without matching production.

Watkins caught a rather pedestrian 39 passes for 593 yards and eight touchdowns with the Rams last season after being traded from the Bills during training camp. Watkins' only 1,000-receiving-yard season came in 2015. 

The Watkins contract is game changer in the wide-receiver market because of his lack of productivity. 

Jones, who is arguably the best wide receiver in the NFL, is underpaid relative to Watkins. He is scheduled to make $34.426 million over the next three years, which includes $10.5 million this season. Watkins, whose three-year contract includes a $21 million signing bonus, is making $34 million in the first two years. Jones has averaged slightly over 100 receptions and almost 1,600 receiving yards a season since Watkins' NFL career began in 2014. The five-time Pro Bowler had one of the most prolific seasons for a wide receiver in 2015 when he had 136 catches for 1,871 yards. Both marks are the second-most ever in an NFL season. Jones' catches in 2015 are nine more than Watkins has had over the last three seasons. Watkins' 2,070 receiving yards during this span are just about 200 more than Jones' 2015 total.

The Chiefs aren't paying Watkins, who turns 25 next month, based on past performance but on the speedster's expected contribution

Watkins may not have an easy time justifying his contract through his play because of Kansas City's other offensive weapons

Watkins's contract is not only a potential headache for the Chiefs, but also the rest of the NFL.

4 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Remember, Alex Smith played for umpteen different HCs and OCs and it wasn't until he had consistency in HC and OC before he actually flourished. I know some will say he never flourished but he played pretty damn good for the Chiefs. Hopefully Watkins will also. If not, he's gone in two years.

Yep

I'm not wishing anything but a 1000+ yard seasons but that contract  is a bugger..he's getting paid better tha Julio Jones right now

With this zero production status so far here's a pretty good breakdown of his play last year from from a Rams perspective..Should get optimism ramped back up he's got a chance to really help us. But I'd agree with OT he's got a LONG way in any scenario to being worth that contract. And as Wilkie suggests the guy in these film clips has yet to arrive here yet. And I'm no doctor but I wil say he's actually looked a little gimpy out there to me, like the foot or something is bothering him. Hopefully that is nothing. It's really early though and I'll still go with 5 catches for 87 yards in the opener. 

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/11/29/16712132/los-angeles-rams-nfl-sammy-watkins-tape-study-scouting-report

15 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Yep

I'm not wishing anything but a 1000+ yard seasons but that contract  is a bugger..he's getting paid better tha Julio Jones right now

We were also a MISERABLE passing offense in the red zone last year and Watkins has been really good down there considering his QBs and the number of targets. Gotta think Veach overpayed to fix our biggest offensive need combined with the high end potential. I don't like the contract but at least the kid is only 25. 

At least people in KC have come by their mistrust honestly.

This is my thoughts on the matter... it may take a while to get Mahomes and Sammy on the same page, for a few reasons... 1. Young QBs learn to trust inside receivers faster than outside receivers, mostly because they run easier routes to throw.  2) Kelce and Tyreek i see as more likely to run out of the slot.   And 3) Reid is hard on receivers, they notoriously take a while to get his offense down, and both Reid and Sammy have said Reid is asking him to learn and do a lot more than any other coach has asked of him.

All that will probably not come together quickly.

That said, advanced stats and analytics really likes Sammy.  For instance, PFF has him dropping zero catchable balls last year.  He also had two near 1000 yard season with jack and shit for a qb.  If you watch his cutups, the guy gets open.  Like a lot.  

So who knows.  I tend to think it will be tough to live up to that contract only because there's so many mouths to feed in this offense.  

he could be playing like a number one midway through the season and still not have the stats to show for it just because of how many good skill players we have.

Archived