Sammy Watkins

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "Buoyed by Pre-Season Play" Crowd---> "Did you see Mahomes throw that ball a gazillion miles? Its gonna be like that all year!!! Super Bowl Baby!!!!"

The "Meh- its Pre-season, it don't mean shit" Crowd-----> "So what about Watkins? its PRE-season....he'll turn it on when the games mean something"

LOL

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

The "Buoyed by Pre-Season Play" Crowd---> "Did you see Mahomes throw that ball a gazillion miles? Its gonna be like that all year!!! Super Bowl Baby!!!!"

The "Meh- its Pre-season, it don't mean shit" Crowd-----> "So what about Watkins? its PRE-season....he'll turn it on when the games mean something"

LOL

Yeah there is a bit of a double standard haha

I think it depends on what the issue is.  If our starting offensive line can't block, that's a concern.  But Mahomes clearly has arm strength that won't go away during the regular season.  Tyreek is not going to get slower in the regular season, barring injury of course.  Preseason or not, those are things to be excited about.   There are things you can take away from the preseason and things you cannot. 

Adam TeicherESPN Staff Writer 

Chiefs wide receiver Sammy Watkins had perhaps his most productive week of practice, perhaps an indication he's ready to bust from the slump that leaves him without a catch through two preseason games. "As you see in practice, (QB Patrick Mahomes) threw some great balls, I caught great balls,'' Watkins said. "Hopefully that carries over in the game. I know a lot of people are speculating, ‘Oh, he's not getting the targets' but . . . there are a lot of other things I've got to learn in the offense (and) get used to. That's what coach is doing a great job of letting me do . . . If other guys are getting open (and) catching balls, that's great for us . . . At the end of the day if I'm doing my job and running my routes and helping this team move the chains, that's my job.''

I don't know much about Sammy Watkins, but the name sounded familiar, so I did some looking. He torched the Cihiefs back in 2015 when he was with the BIlls. 6 catches for 168 yards and two TD's.  Maclin put up similar numbers  in that game and the Chiefs won, but I remember thinking how lucky the Bills were to have a young up & coming receiver. It's too bad he never worked out with either of his previous teams so I don't know what to think of him now.

I share OT and Wilkie's doubt about him, and hope he doesn't become the next Brett Perriman, Johnny Morton,  Rod Gardner and so on......

1 hour ago, qnet said:

I don't know much about Sammy Watkins, but the name sounded familiar, so I did some looking. He torched the Cihiefs back in 2015 when he was with the BIlls. 6 catches for 168 yards and two TD's.  Maclin put up similar numbers  in that game and the Chiefs won, but I remember thinking how lucky the Bills were to have a young up & coming receiver. It's too bad he never worked out with either of his previous teams so I don't know what to think of him now.

I share OT and Wilkie's doubt about him, and hope he doesn't become the next Brett Perriman, Johnny Morton,  Rod Gardner and so on......

He’s far more talented than those guys ever were.

1 hour ago, qnet said:

That was mostly done in a half because Bob Sutton had a dumbass gameplan.  That was a rare instance where he actually made proper adjustments.

For some reason, Andy seems to really respect Sutton.  For that reason alone, I have continued to give him the benefit of the doubt.  But there is always the possiblity that Sutton has some dirt on Reid and is willing to keep his silence as long as he doesn't get fired.  📢  Hmmmm.

On 8/24/2018 at 6:45 PM, Calichief said:

He’s far more talented than those guys ever were.

I agree he is, I've just gotten more negative/realistic  about the Chiefs the last few years. I really hope he works out. I just hope he really wants to play with the team and is serious about winning. 

15 minutes ago, qnet said:

I agree he is, I've just gotten more negative/realistic  about the Chiefs the last few years. I really hope he works out. I just hope he really wants to play with the team and is serious about winning. 

He’s was open for an easy td but was overthrown

15 hours ago, Calichief said:

He’s was open for an easy td but was overthrown

From what the Star said,   Sammy cut of his route.    If he had kept running,  and if he would have caught it,  it was a pretty easy TD

22 minutes ago, wilkie said:

From what the Star said,   Sammy cut of his route.    If he had kept running,  and if he would have caught it,  it was a pretty easy TD

That’s a possibility. 

I didn’t see the whole route. 

But speration isn’t a problem for Watkins. He was open.

6 hours ago, wilkie said:

I didn't see him cut off his route, but there was a lot of hand fighting with the CB which slowed him down some.  Could have been called pass interference but the announcers said it wasn't because both were initiating contact.

How often do free agent WRs moving to their 3rd team really perform?

If anything, I don’t think Watkins and Mahomes are on the same page. Seems like the least accurate passes have gone Watkins way and he hasn’t helped by not catching the ones that marginally hit his hands.

I just cringe at his contract so far. Way too much money to me for a guybon his 3rd team now.

Archived